Solution/Alternative for Chord Track?

TimeForMusic

Which specific feature(s) you are looking for?

In other words, to what purpose?

Perhaps there is an indirect way?

Are you familiar with the Global Chord Track present in Logic Pro version before LPX?

I (and a great majority of the LPX community) are looking for a feature similar to Cubase's Chord Track; one in which you can assign chords in the global track (similar to adding a marker), and apple loops or other desired regions will transpose their notes according to the corresponding chord.

All I really want is to visually map out the chord progressions of my music (the transposition feature is a sweet bonus). My closest idea would be simply using markers, but I want to avoid that as I use markers for other, intended purposes. Another (laborious) idea is creating a blank track and making a new region at each chord change, renaming the region according to the chord.

Ideas, but not solutions.

Are you familiar with the Global Chord Track present in Logic Pro version before LPX?

You are referring to this feature in LP9, I think. I personnaly never relied on its main feature (analizing chords progression) as it proved to be inconsistent and unreliable.

I (and a great majority of the LPX community) are looking for a feature similar to Cubase's Chord Track; one in which you can assign chords in the global track (similar to adding a marker), and apple loops or other desired regions will transpose their notes according to the corresponding chord.
That is indeed something to hope for! I don't remember Logic being able to achieve that though...

All I really want is to visually map out the chord progressions of my music (the transposition feature is a sweet bonus). My closest idea would be simply using markers, but I want to avoid that as I use markers for other, intended purposes.
Re: Transposition, that global track still exists...

Re: Markers, have you considered using Markers sets

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What you can do is this, if you want:

Create a new track (Track 1) e.g. a bass line and write the midi notes in

Convert the instrument on Track 1 into an External Midi Instrument ( Utility > External Instrument )

Route it out through the IAC Driver via the 'Midi Destination' (https://ask.audio/articles/capturing-the-arpeggiator-output-in-logic-pro-x about half way down the page where it says 'Use the Mac's IAC Driver to capture MIDI' )

Add the Chord Trigger to the midi fx on Track 1 and adjust it to suit e.g. Major Chords, Minor Chords

Create new track (Track 2)

Press record on Track 2 to hear the results after you press play

Press the main record button with the record button selected on Track 2

Hey presto, you have recorded your chord sequence.