Annoying meta info included in every bounce

btfnk

Is there a way to stop logic from including extra meta information in the WAV files it generates when bouncing?

I know I can load the file into some other editor and manually delete the information but I'd like to stop Logic from including it in the first place. Things like the tempo tag, time code, SMPTE UMID, etc.

I didn't ask it to include this information would like to not have to add another step of a different editor removing it each time. But I can't seem to find any option to disable including this information when exporting.

In general it seems poor form to include this information without my asking. It's making assumptions about my use which in this case are incorrect.

In this specific instance I'm trying to use Logic for mastering. So the tempo tag is always incorrect. I also don't want to send out files for distribution with things like SMPTE meta data included.

Yes wav files are being sent to distro.

I don't know of any specific instances of that meta data causing an issue. However I'm not going to be the one to test it and have clients pay the price. It certainly doesn't look professional though and it seems straight out wrong to be including things like a tempo marker with incorrect information.

Normally I wouldn't use Logic for this kind of job. Perhaps I really shouldn't be. It's rather a shame. If there really is no way in logic to disable embedding these tags on output, it strikes me as rather unprofessional.

it IS professional, wav files are just what they are. and unless someone is looking at the metadata for some reason, it's irrelevant. it's like the metadata in photos you take; you send someone a photo, they look at...the photo, not the metadata.

working with wav files for years, sent to mastering, sometimes to clients. no one has ever had an issue, nor should they; if, for example, there's bpm info that doesn't match the tempo, what's the difference to someone working with the audio.

sorry, just...you're looking for a problem that really isn't a problem. my 2 cents (and here, will withdraw from the conversation; no stress!)

Definitely not trying to pick a fight. I'm more interested in finding a solution.

However it does seem to be pretty much the definition of unprofessional for them to make assumptions about my use of the product under the guise of simplicity, instead of providing options.

Along the line of the analogy you used, have you ever tried opening an image that has an incorrect DPI meta tag? Say it's 300x300px but set to 2dpi erroneously. That's kinda like an incorrectly set tempo tag, who knows what will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for an answer to this as well. I have had problems with some version of iTunes not playing back my 24-96 wav files bounced from Logic. They play back on anything in my studio, but my record label's iTunes won't play them. Makes me wonder if it's the tags, though I have no proof.

However, where I do know there is a problem is MainStage. If I bounce a wav file from Logic and import it into MainStage's playback feature, it not only uses the tempo (which is fine) but also any markers I had in the Logic song are imported (you can see these show up in the PlayBack plugin window). The problem with the markers is the PlayBack thinks they loop points and refuses to play past them. If I strip the markers out using RX5 the files then work fine in MainStage. But it's a bit of a pain to have to do that. I wish there was at least a preference in Logic to turn off meta data. Imagine in the future some fancy DAC will show all my song markers on it's playback screen. As the song plays they'll see messages scroll by like "this needs to be done again" "maybe cut this section" etc... which I often put in markers! :)

• 11 months later...

Also looking for an answer to this problem. Currently doing a show using a Roland SPD-S which will only import WAV files without meta-data. There is a work-around which is converting to FLAC and then back to WAV (using iTunes) but this is adding on precious time to this job...

If anyone has an answer it would be appreciated. And to "fisherking" please stop trying to divert the question = not helpful.

Logic saves in BWF so this is normal.

I own Cubase and ProTools and they might all be unprofessional if that's the case, because they usually handle it like this, and people do what Fisherking assumes.

anyway, you can remove BPM and SMPTE data from within logic, but only after you bounce it. you reimport the project into logic (have it saved so it doesn't copy the file, just import it from location), then go to Edit > Tempo > Remove Tempo Information from Audio File.

If you're willing to work with third party, I highly recommend Audiofile Engineering Myriad (for various bulk operations not just that). It has a "clear properties" action you can apply on any wave file.

• 2 weeks later...