step editor problem

drumlogic

Hello, everyone!

This is my first post, and actually, this is my first week as a Logic user. I'm gradually figuring stuff out, and I acknowledge that whatever issues I encounter will mostly come from my own inexperience.

I have the latest version of Logic (10.2.2). I also have a brand new MacBook Pro...absolute top of the line, complete with extra RAM, etc. OS is latest El Capitan.

Unfortunately, I have been running into a few problems with Logic. The one in front of me right now involves Step Editor. Let's say I create a midi track and record some notes with Note Typing. Then I open Step Editor with Midi Controls lane set. Using pencil tool, I draw in some random Pan automation. If I now play the track, the Pan automation does not actually play. It's like it doesn't actually register somehow. I notice that if I toggle "Show Automation" on and off a few times, this will sometimes make the automation start working. Other times, it doesn't.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Is this a bug in Logic? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks for working with me on this. As an experiment, I just now opened a new project and created one single track (random notes with 70's Analog Lead). Added a little random panning with Step Editor. No success at getting the panning to actually play. In Event List, all notes and panning are channel 1. Have not yet tried toggling "Show Automation" on and off, since that seems like it should have no bearing on this...unless I'm wrong.

• 7 months later...

Hi -- I'm a first-time poster here! :)

I am running into the same issue, using LPX 10.2.4, and working my way through a Lynda.com tutorial. When I got to the Step Editor Panning example, I found that my track isn't panning. I tried toggling the setting in Project Settings Midi as suggested above, but neither state of the parameter results in panning working as expected. I am just using the sample project files that Lynda.com tutorial has. Do you have any other suggestions for why the panning automation may not work as expected?

Thanks!!

I am running into the same issue, using LPX 10.2.4, and working my way through a Lynda.com tutorial. When I got to the Step Editor Panning example, I found that my track isn't panning. I tried toggling the setting in Project Settings Midi as suggested above, but neither state of the parameter results in panning working as expected. I am just using the sample project files that Lynda.com tutorial has. Do you have any other suggestions for why the panning automation may not work as expected?

It could be a few different things. Can you share the project file here? First, in the Finder, Control-click the project file and choose Compress. That will give you a .zip file that you can attach here: click "+ Post Reply" then at the bottom of the reply box, click the Attachment tab. 

Hi David. Zip file is attached. The track to which I tried to add panning is Lead Synth 1 and I added it to the first midi segment, using the step editor window. This is basically the file that came with the Lynda.com tutorial but with my attempt at adding Pan automation to that track. I also have a screenshot of the project settings and the step editor window attached for your reference. Thanks again! To be clear, I know that my system is operating in stereo (not mono), as there are definitely sounds that are in one or the other channel :)

05_04.logicx.zip

1729940537_ScreenShot2016-12-01at6_05_31PM.thumb.png.4aa64ef3ba43fc0896cfa53bf2c74eaa.png