Plugin Latency

barthold

Plugin Latency -

do plugins that are on inactive tracks cause latency? If I have plugins 1-on aux tracks to which nothing is currently being bussed, 2-or on aux tracks to which the busses are muted, or 3-on muted tracks, do they cause latency? I frequently go back to the tracking stage on projects that I thought were finished. I try to remove as many plugins as possible before doing so, and use low latency mode.

Thanks

OS X 10.10.5, MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Logic Pro X 10.2.3

I would say the answers to your 3 questions are:

1- I don't know

2- Yes

3- No (so long as you do not attempt recording on that track)

For 2- I'm pretty sure: if simply muting a bus feeding an aux had any effect on latency (like Logic considering that, because the "feeder" is muted, theres no neet to take into account any plugins down the chain), you would hear a click or hicup any time that track or bus is unmuted (because Logic would suddenly need to change its internal latency compensation), which you (fortunately) don't, because Logic constantly takes the plugins on this tracks or auxes into account to compute latency compensation, irrespective of the mute buttons state.

For 3- plugins on a track only affect that track as regards latency (no big deal for recording on other tracks).

Regarding 1- I don't know because conceptually Logic could determine that in such a context there's no risk that latency changes unless the routing itself is changed, which should not occur during record or playback. But I don't know if Logic is "clever enough" (or cleverly enough coded) to determine this. My guess is that the answer is probably yes (i.e. it's probably well coded, meaning that such auxes to which nothing is routed probably do not affect latency)

In writing the above I of course assume that pluging latency compensation is activated in the preferences.

Now, when going back to tracking in an already plug-in fed project, instead of removing some plugins, the simplest (and safest), is by far to just turn low latency mode on, and let Logic take care of everything by automatically turning off whatever plugins need to be so. Adjust the low latency parameter in the prefs to taste (highest as possible - so as to overrule as few plugins as possible - up to the point when tracking no longer delivers a properly timed result and latency issues become audible).

Cheers,

Arnaud

Thanks for the replies.

For 2- I'm pretty sure: if simply muting a bus feeding an aux had any effect on latency (like Logic considering that, because the "feeder" is muted, theres no neet to take into account any plugins down the chain), you would hear a click or hicup any time that track or bus is unmuted (because Logic would suddenly need to change its internal latency compensation), which you (fortunately) don't, because Logic constantly takes the plugins on this tracks or auxes into account to compute latency compensation, irrespective of the mute buttons state.

Makes sense. I know muted plugins cause latency on their tracks. It makes sense that muted bus sends would do the same.

I can't imagine that 1-aux channels to which nothing is bussed cause latency, or 3-muted tracks (with plugins not removed) would cause latency. It would be nice to know for sure though.

I would always use "low latency mode" in these situations anyway.