External instrument auto-compensate latency

lologic

There is a new checkbox in the external instrument plugin, auto-compensate latency. I haven't experimented with this yet.. Does anyone know how this changes past behavior, if at all. Is round-trip delay now compensated for in situations where it was not, or does this function just turn that feature "off" where someone might not want it?

lol

Doesn't do what I hoped it would. I was hoping it would automatically send the MIDI early when software monitoring through the External Instrument plugin.

The only way I can see this helping is that it'll mean you can use the roundtrip displayed by Logic as your negative track delay. So no having to figure the track delay out yourself:

Routing audio to the External Instrument input

When you route the audio output of the external MIDI device to the input of External Instrument using the Input pop-up menu, Auto-Compensate Latency is always on and can't be manually disabled.

^ Instead, it's lining the MIDI up at the audio outputs.

I'm still having to add a negative region delay, of -22 ticks (~11ms, which is my roundtrip).

Also, looks like they're recommending the External Instrument plugin for direct/mixer monitoring, rather than an External MIDI track (you just have to leave the audio input field blank).