External midi instrument latency with UAD plugins

Bakmaind

I'm using Logic pro x 10.2.2 with OSX 10.9.5, UAD plugins on a UAD-2 Satellite and Apogee ensemble as audio interface. Both with thunderbolt connection.

Since I’m using UAD plugins, of coarse also on busses, I’ve latency issues with external midi instruments during playback. In 'low latency mode' all runs right but without this mode all audio coming from external midi stuff is delayed. In my project settings 'auto-compensate Plug-in latency' is flagged. In my preferences Plug-in latency compensation is set to ALL.

I never had issues like this before, also using many many plug-in during the final mix down. Normally I keep midi tracks until the final bounce without record any audio from external synths. Bouncing in real time was always perfect.

What I’m doing wrong now?

In my project settings 'auto-compensate Plug-in latency' is flagged.

Are you talking about the setting in Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI? I think that's just for MIDI clock, not for MIDI notes.

Also, are you using external MIDI tracks, or the External Instrument plugin?

Thanks RadBaron,

Yes, I was talking about the setting in Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI.

I'm using external MIDI tracks. I've a Nord Lead Synthesizer in my midi chain.

I've also tried to use the external Instrument Plug-in if you mean the one I attached here as photo.

2006024069_externalinstrument.png.2f78c40bc961f6e825eeb5ba19f835f0.png

Of course I tried to use an instrument track with the external instrument Plug-in instead of an external midi track for playback my Nord Lead, in fact without success.

Using external instrument plug-in was not necessary in the past. I've my Nord Lead in my midi chain since a lot of time without any latency issue, also by using big buffer size in a complex final mix setup.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks for the monitoring info. I can't stress how important the monitoring method is when talking about DAW latency.

Before I reply again I need to run a couple of quick tests. Please can you tell me what your latency is, as reported by Logic in Preferences > Audio. I'll then set my buffer size in Logic so that my latency roughly matches yours, and run the tests.

I too use UAD plugins with "external" sounds through VEP. I have done extensive searcing for where there is latency, and found out that when I am recording I have to set plug-in compensation to "Audio and Software instr. t."

For mixing (playback) I have to set it back to All.

For academic purposes, here are the results from my testing:

PIL    LL           Playback        Recording            Graphics      Click

Off     Off          250ms           250ms                 OK                OK

Off     On          20ms             OK                       OK                OK

a&s    Off          250ms           OK                       OK                OK

a&s    On          OK                 OK                       OK                OK

All      Off          OK                 300ms                 300ms           OK

All      On          OK                 250ms                 OK                 250ms        

(PIL=Plug-in Compensation   /    LL=Low Latency)

You really should use the ext. instrument plugin. I have no problem with an Apollo twin and Satellite FW. Everything will be compensated if you monitor in the Logic mixer. If you're playing with UAD plugins on the main bus and in inst. tracks, you'll get a delay. You can reduce it with enabling Live Mode on the plugins(the little microphone icon at the bottom of the plugin gui) since you have a TB satellite. 

I'll usually won't record my midi tracks with UAD plugins but on playback, everything syncs perfectly. 

Blink

P.S. See my signature for the external synths I have. I also have a Korg Wavestation that sync its wave sequences to Logic tempo and everything plays back perfect.