Workflow question: printing multiple external processors

stormy

I hope I can get some workflow suggestions/tips for this. I'm using a bunch of external processors (compressors, EQ) via the I/O plugin on multiple tracks, and I want to print those tracks with the processing, so I can use the hardware for more tracks. I am also using some Logic plugins, sometimes before the I/O, sometimes after.

Essentially, I'm looking for a way to freeze tracks that include the I/O plugin, which Logic doesn't offer. There's no realtime bounce in place either.

Ok, so here's the whole process for reference and future searches:

1. Disable all plugins after the I/O plugin, route each track to a bus.
  2. Create new tracks, record the externally processed track.
  3. Copy the plugins to the new tracks and enable them.
  4. Disable and hide the original tracks, in case they are needed.

Am I forgetting anything?

Recording an I/O Plugin from an Audio or Instrument channel strip

Simply route the Audio or Instrument channel strip to a bus via it's send, and use another audio track to record from that bus. You can have latency inducing plugins before and after the I/O plugin in you want, but if you want to record a completely *dry* return signal, you'll have to bypass any plugins inserted after the I/O plugin.

With audio/instrument channel strips, you cannot record direct from the inputs you've set in the I/O plugin. You must record through a bus, or you'll get recordings that are a minimum of a roundtrip early.

^FYI

IIRC, you don't need to bypass any plugins inserted before the I/O plugin, unless you want a clean processed signal.