Mapping Drum Pads

EuanG101

Hi all,

I need help mapping my drum pads on Logic Pro X. I am using the latest version of Logic Pro X and an MPK Mini Mk2 MIDI controller. I have been searching for days now looking for some kind of tutorial talking me through the process of how to assign different notes to each individual pad. For example on a drum machine being able to choose a snare drum sound, then assign it to a pad on my controller. The closest I have got is saving a preset from the MPK Mini editor that can change the note assigned to each pad so that it would correspond to a drum machine I have created in Logic Pro X however I have no idea how to upload it/apply it. I hope I have explained the problem clearly enough but let me know if you need anything clarifying.

Thanks in advance,

Euan

No I am using logic pro x. Plug it in and it will play the different midi instruments I select, however I don't know how to assign a different sound to each pad/key. At the moment its just whatever keys/pads are assigned to a pad but how do i customise it?

I have to say logic, although complex has been a fun challenge to learn but since I bought this MPK Mini Mk2 it has been tedious and infuriating. All I am trying to do is turn my midi controller into something customised. So I have 8 pads - choose 8 sounds, one for each pad. Then 25 keys, same again just assign the sound I want to them. I have searched for 2 days online to no avail, I mean am I missing something? If I open the Atlanta drum machine for example can I change the note it plays so it is the same note as the drum pad?

Where are you getting the sounds from? What instrument/sampler in Logic?  You mention Atlanta Drum machine, what program does that belong to?  I could be wrong but I don't think you have a logic initiated sampler involved.  You didn't mention: UltraBeat nor EXS nor drum designer, so I think you are not approaching this from within logic.  Is the Atlanta drum machine part of the software from your mk2?  Are you sure you are not using that in standalone mode?

I am getting the sounds by pressing the keys on my midi controller which correspond to an electronic drum machine on the screen selected from the library of instruments included when i downloaded Logic Pro X. Definitely logic 100% sure about that. So yes the Atlanta drum machine for example i have chosen from the library in Logic on the left hand side of my screen by following Library>Electronic Drum Kit>Drum Machine Designer>Atlanta. I do know of Ultrabeat and EXS however I wasn't exactly what you use to map a midi controller? Just whatever I need to use whether its Ultrabeat or EXS or the drum designer I am using at the moment just let me know which one. All I am trying to do is assign instruments, for example, "Kick 1 - Afterparty" to a pad on my MIDI controller. I have been using the drum machine designer and although I can assign certain pads I still can't do them all. This is incredibly difficult to explain and I appreciate your patience here.

Your explanation is perfect so don't worry about that. :)

There are many ways to tackle this problem..

I would start by setting the Pads to send the messages that are used by Drum Machine Designer.

Use the MPK mini Mk2 Editor to assign the appropriate notes to your pads.

The MPK mini uses two banks so set bank A's first row to:

F#1, G#1, A#1, C#2.

Second row to:

C1, D1, C#1, D#1.

Bank B's first row to:

F#2, G2, A2, B2.

& second row to:

D#2, F1, G1, A1.

Send it to Program 1.

(Drum Machine designer has a second set of its drum grid. You can use the same method described here to setup the second one as Program 2)

Now you are set for the Drum Machine Designer.

Regarding other instruments this will work mostly fine within Logic but there are many times you would want to change the mapping.

Drum Machine Designer makes it easy for you to reassign different sounds to each pad from its plug-in window but EXS24 or Drum Kit Designer aren't as versatile.

You can then easily do this by using a free MIDI FX script. Logic's own Drum Kit Designer Remapper preset is probably ok.

You can also download RemapNiño from unheardofski here (scroll all the way down): Free Logic Pro X Scripts - LogicScripts - MIDI fx plugin scripts for Logic Pro X

Hope that helps.

/E

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Thank you for touching on this, I've been working on getting my drums mapped all day. I'm using an Akai MPK Mini via Logic Pro X on my Macbook Pro. I downloaded RemapNiño and am not sure how to install it / use it. Can anybody point me in a direction to find a step by step for this process?

Thank you so much!

Wes

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Eric,

First, thank you so much for this reply - it's the only one I've been able to find on the internet that explains how to set the pads to different notes. Thanks!!!

Second, can you give more detail about setting the sounds to Program 1, where to access Program 1 and how this saves or can be accessed when using Logic. Though I changed all the notes mapped to the pads and pressed Send to Program 1, Logic still registers the pads as hitting the original notes, not the ones you recommend I try change them to (-1 octave E,F,F# etc instead of C1, D1 etc).

It seems like the changes I made were not saved or something. Help?

Thanks so much,

Aaron

Your explanation is perfect so don't worry about that. :)

There are many ways to tackle this problem..

I would start by setting the Pads to send the messages that are used by Drum Machine Designer.

Use the MPK mini Mk2 Editor to assign the appropriate notes to your pads.

The MPK mini uses two banks so set bank A's first row to:

F#1, G#1, A#1, C#2.

Second row to:

C1, D1, C#1, D#1.

Bank B's first row to:

F#2, G2, A2, B2.

& second row to:

D#2, F1, G1, A1.

Send it to Program 1.

(Drum Machine designer has a second set of its drum grid. You can use the same method described here to setup the second one as Program 2)

Now you are set for the Drum Machine Designer.

Regarding other instruments this will work mostly fine within Logic but there are many times you would want to change the mapping.

Drum Machine Designer makes it easy for you to reassign different sounds to each pad from its plug-in window but EXS24 or Drum Kit Designer aren't as versatile.

You can then easily do this by using a free MIDI FX script. Logic's own Drum Kit Designer Remapper preset is probably ok.

You can also download RemapNiño from unheardofski here (scroll all the way down): Free Logic Pro X Scripts - LogicScripts - MIDI fx plugin scripts for Logic Pro X

Hope that helps.

/E