+ ADAT to/from Focusrite Octopre Dynamics MkII

+ Apollo 16 MkII

+ Apollo Twin Duo

Lacie 2big 6TB

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2bigTb2-6TB

==============================

The Problem

“Disc too slow or system overload” issue w/ Logic has persisted since I bought the computer last year.

What We’ve done:

+ Updated the RAM (32GB) in the Mac Pro

+ Optimized the processor allocation in Logic to use all 8 cores (actual & virtual)

+ We freeze all midi tracks

+ We save after every take

What ha’happn ‘iz

+ Every time we start Logic the HD monitor spikes … it doesn’t always throw an error but it does spike every … Is that right?

+ The frequency of system error during playback and record has increased.  More noticeable with bigger project files.

+ Increased occurrences when we updated to to El Capitan OS X

Sometimes it seems like the HD goes to sleep and when it’s waking up the error occurs.  Is that possible?  How would I prevent that from happening?

I’ve read that some just use a solid state drive as a recording disc … I’ve just invested a buttload in the 6TB 7200 RPM HD … I would have to buy separate controller to retrofit w/ SSDs … I’d want to prove that concept before investing.

The Context

We have a project recording studio and used logic.  We have protools, and don’t seem to have issues w/ it but the bulk of our work is done in Logic.  We are doing more and more live recording w/ paid artists so the loss of a take can be costly to the creative flow and financially too.  I’ve have the configuration of how our gear is wired up and am glad to share that as need be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Config Illustration

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vr06yt8iz7hou2/RonFlack-TB-config.jpg?dl=0

Jfever,

Thanks for your reply ... My hard drive is a Lacie 2big 6TB.  And yes, it is divided into a partitions ... It is connected via TB to my mac pro ... I don't have it configured as a raid, it's really 2 3TB drives side by side.  The drive I record to does have partitions.  Is that a problem?  Thank you kindly for your questions.

Hard drive spec

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2bigTb2-6TB

Sometimes it seems like the HD goes to sleep and when it’s waking up the error occurs.  Is that possible?  How would I prevent that from happening?

This could be the problem right there.

You can try setting the hard drives to never go to sleep but the controller chip inside the enclosure may not respond to that setting.

There are small scripts you can use to keep the hard drive awake at all times too.

I would try one thing first.

Use your system drive as your current project drive to see if the issue disappear when not involving the external drive. You can always move finished projects to your 6TB to free up space once you are done.

@Eric Cardenas was correct ... working from the system drive (SSD) makes a huge difference.  So I think I've narrowed the problem to the Lacie.  I ran "First Aid" (system utility app) and it does seem to be performing a bit better.  So ... I guess the conclusion is a dedicated SSD to record to.  Thank's to all.  Much appreciated.

You're most welcome!

Eric, is a dedicated external SSD good enough?  I'm not that strong at "configing" drives... 

Can I try the same solution you suggested to the topic starter by just placing my projects on an external ssd?

if i was to use an internal ssd is there any additional things I have to do other than just buying an imac with an ssd?  '

do you think this is a common solution to the "playback audio and midi sync" issues i've been having since the beginning?

Eric, is a dedicated external SSD good enough?  I'm not that strong at "configing" drives... 

Can I try the same solution you suggested to the topic starter by just placing my projects on an external ssd?

Sure, that works too.

Buy a decent USB3 enclosure and insert an SSD of your own choice.

if i was to use an internal ssd is there any additional things I have to do other than just buying an imac with an ssd?

You could do that or you could change the internal drive in your current Mac. This may or may not be PITA depending on which iMac you have.

do you think this is a common solution to the "playback audio and midi sync" issues i've been having since the beginning?

That totally depends on if it's the disk, CPU, your audio interface, or an unrelated service/application that is the culprit.

You do not need any dedicated SSD to record to. Put in the largest SSD system drive you can buy and record all your projects to it. Use the Lacie as an external

backup but do not leave it hooked up whilst recording. 

Unfortunately that is not a cheap solution with a new mac pro.

Get a fast USB 3 HD from http://www.macsales.com and see how it goes.

Triplets. I just had two OWC mercury elite pro USB 3/firewire 800 drive holders go dead. I got a G-Drive 1 TB thunderbolt/USB 3 going on me. Sounding like

a helicopter. Maybe it's my luck. If I had a new Mac pro. I would not use any external drive. Period :oops: 

Triplets. I just had two OWC mercury elite pro USB 3/firewire 800 drive holders go dead. I got a G-Drive 1 TB thunderbolt/USB 3 going on me. Sounding like

a helicopter. Maybe it's my luck. If I had a new Mac pro. I would not use any external drive. Period :oops: 

Bummer!

That's bad luck for sure.

Guys - if freezing a lot of tracks usually takes care of my play back problems - does that hint at what the likely culprit is form the list Eric listed?

Disk, interface, other hardware/software clashing?  i.e. - likely Disc?  Would I be able to upload a project that often gives me playback problems with tracks unfrozen and see how it runs  on your work iMac triplets?  Since you seem to have a system very close to mine

Hi and to chime in, I believe that Eric is right about the lacie, and it doing to sleep, there are technical things you can do to adjust this, I would suggest, first if there are any drivers update them, if there is any firmware for the drive update it. Speak to lacie ask them if there is any way you can use a hdparams style of app too to adjust the sleep time.

Also and concurrently, load the project and resave it, making all the audio a part of the project. The reason is you want to load the project on the local disk drive and also the lacie. Test each one out while you have the "Activity Monitor" app, open and on the disc tab, what is using all the disc activity, is it logic or is it something else. Try doing the same thing on the lacie too. Also check you 'energy' preferences, is it set to put the disk's to sleep?  Then look at loading the project waiting 10 min, then trying playback, does this makes any difference in either case for either the disk or the lacie.

You really have to quite methodical and rigorous in doing this test, but when you speak to lacie, clear data like this might well encourage them to advise you better, and let them know you have checked out all the possibilities.