Losing Flex Pitch edits

thelogicalproducer

In desperate need of help here.  

I'm still learning the ins and outs of vocal mixing but I've going into a good groove using Flex Pitch.  I guess my simplest question is this:  if one turns off Flex Pitch after making edits, do you lose all the edits you've made?  Or will the edits return once you've cut FP back on?  My normal workflow is this: use flex pitch to correct notes/harmonies for multiple tracks then turn flex pitch OFF so I can then go back and self-quantize small variations in rhythm.  But when turning Flex back on, it seems I'm back at ground zero and need to edit pitch again.  

Am I doing something wrong?  Is LPX incapable of saving Flex Pitch edits after you turn Flex Pitch off?

Thanks guys.  Triplets, I've learned to bounce the pitch-edited track, then go in and chop it up manually for a super-clean mix.  Erik, its harder to visualize the movement of wavelengths (if that's the right terminology) while in flex pitch (the display changes to the dark blue screen) to crisply align multiple vocal tracks.  I'm editing like 9 vox together at once and its just as important to see where notes begin and end as it is to hear it because the visual signal lends a much more exact measure of what's going on.  

Gosh, after hours of editing, it was heartbreaking to lose my changes.  I had to take a nap and come back to it.  Lesson learned.  I hope Logic creates new options for the workflow.

• 1 year later...

A lot of Pro Tools die hards, I include myself, Choosing to switch, Apple had a 5 year strategy I believe, it appears to be effective

I'm looking for advice today please

Flex rendering, has a new option been introduced in any updates released after this thread ?

The Bounce option in the thread would have degradation implications if it were applied using Pro Tools architecture.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Thank You

The Bounce option in the thread would have degradation implications if it were applied using Pro Tools architecture.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? To render Flex, I would use Bounce in place. No degradation other than going from 32 bit floating point to 24 bit fixed which is a non-issue IMO.

i had a lengthy discussion with someone about that, and it's really odd that since logic can handle 32bit FP audio (freezes are normal 32bit FP files), that all bips and files are handled as 24bit integer.

anyway, you can edit Flex Time and switch to Flex Pitch, but as @triplets pointed out, you're at mercy of flex pitch.

the problem is that Flex Pitch uses a different algorithm for stretching than Flex Time does, so if it sounds okay with flex time it MIGHT sound glitchy when you switch to flex pitch. It's better not to mix those two tbh.

I always edit rhythm of vocals first (and most of it by hand! - i flex everything, but vocals only if absolutely necessary, else i do it by hand!) - then when everything is in time, i go through with flex pitch.

you will get much more natural results that way anyway.

But you can edit flex time in flex pitch mode...

Flextime in flex pitch.gif

If you (well, I) flex pitch edit a region, I can turn off flex pitch on that track without losing any edits. But I assume that when you choose a different flex algo, that Logic analyses the file anew, and discards all edits made in the other mode.

no in general, if you enable flex pitch, then move to flex rhytmic, edit it, then return to flex pitch, timing edits will be retained, but the algo will change. (just as they are retained when you switch from i.e. polyphonic to slicing or whatever), its just that isntead of flex-time, flex pitch algo is then used for stretching. And often results are... unpredictable. at best.

Edited by Ploki

Back on topic, the bounce in place picked up a couple minor pitch issues in the vocal, the song was recorded 1988, tape being the option I would imagine, dropped into Pro Tools in 2001 no editing,

Tuned in 2008 in Pro Tools, the default fixed tempo 120 and Sample Mode,

There are only 2 settings in Pro Tools. blue circle indicates Sample Mode the default setting and Tick Mode a green Triangle selected via the track icon or a preference setting

sample allows you to change events and tempo without moving or stretching the audio,

Tick mode is selected for most edits that Logic handles in Flex , the audio can be stretched or conformed to tempo with the smart tool, the elastic menu is not essential

No commit is necessary, the stretching is fixed, undo still available ,

The song is 135.

Timeline fixed tempo 120 Sample Mode prevents any slipping

Keeping it in Sample change Tempo to 135

Change from Sample into Tick mode a blue circle changes to green triangle 42 tracks, alt click 1 to change all

All tracks will follow the tempo without any bouncing or rendering, am I right in thinking 42 bounces would be required in Logic to get to this stage ready to bounce stereo