Metering...but not recording?

mbpfeiffer

Hi everyone! Newbie here...

I'm using Logic Pro 10.2.4, along with my Apollo Twin Thunderbolt on my Mac.

In short, I've got my mic setup to my Apollo. When I go to record vocals, while I see the meters registering sound (both in Logic and the Apollo's Console program), nothing records when I hit the record button.

Any suggestions here?

also, when I setup the track...

Input in logic is "Input 1" (mic)

Cheers,

Matthew

Hi David! The playhead moves and an empty region is being recorded...but no sound is recorded. It's weird - the meters move, so it looks like sound is going in...but that's it.

So glad I found this site...looks like I'm in need of a class or two (or ten)!

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance...

Cheers,

Matthew

I'm assuming you're not seeing any waveform on the region, only a flat line in the center. However, if you play it back, can you hear your recording? If yes, then choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio and make sure your recording delay is set to zero.

If not, it might be an input # issue, let me know and I'll explain how to troubleshoot that. 

David, after some experimentation...appears to be working! (Don't think I realised the Apollo's volume appears to be the input volume, too...)

So - think you solved it. Again, BRAND NEW here, so thank you. Whilst I can't fly to LA for a class as of yet...what do you recommend for beginners in terms of books/videos, etc.?

AND THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help!

David, after some experimentation...appears to be working! (Don't think I realised the Apollo's volume appears to be the input volume, too...)

So - think you solved it. Again, BRAND NEW here, so thank you. Whilst I can't fly to LA for a class as of yet...what do you recommend for beginners in terms of books/videos, etc.?

AND THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help!

Awesome. That's great to hear. :D ... and you're welcome.

I do offer online consulting as well, we can set up a session where we share screens on Skype and talk at the same time. Contact me privately if you're interested in that option. Otherwise, I also have a book out there, although the print version is currently out of print, but there's an eBook version: http://www.peachpit.com/store/apple-pro-training-series-logic-pro-x-10.1-professional-9780134185736

• 4 years later...

I am having this same issue and struggling to find an answer or info on what is happening here. Acoustic guitar is plugged in to my Presonus i2 interface and logic is metering the signal when I arm it to record but when I start recording the channel is still metering as I play but nothing actually gets recorded. Just an empty audio region. I've had Logic for a couple years now and have recorded with this same setup tons of times. Different instruments, mics, and interfaces all have the same result. It must be something in Logic.

Image attached - since I don't see that an image of this happening was ever shared. My hope is maybe getting the screenshot of this will help get to an actual answer on what is causing this ... I am feeling so defeated after trying for so long. Rebooting things, creating tracks with different channels, changing inputs/hardware, exploring the preferences in hopes to find something that will fix it somehow... Please help! Super appreciate any help that can be provided here.

IMG_9712.thumb.jpeg.5efa16e689144ef2c772065b0788699a.jpeg

My guitar is plugged in to input 2, if input I select input 1 (2 channel interface) there is no signal anywhere. I have also tried switching to input one.

The metering is responding to my guitar playing. You are seeing the metered representation of the decayed Signal after stopping playing to quickly take the picture with my phone (was able to do that more quickly than screenshot due to my setup.). When full strumming the signal is riding around -10 db.

I’ve been in music/audio for about 10 years now. I’ve been working in Logic for about 2 years now. I promise the hardware/input selection is not the issue. I can use the same setup and interface to my iPad and it works fine. I can also open GarageBand on my same MacBook Withouut touching anything and it works fine … :/

The metering is responding to my guitar playing. You are seeing the metered representation of the decayed Signal

That is incorrect, the meters in Logic always store the peak value in numbers above the meters.

So if you strum hard, the meter would have said -10dB even with a decaying level.