So tired of "audio file is locked" thing in Logic...

Guest ClydePaquin
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

When I use Flex Pitch it does something to the file so I can no longer edit it in the file editor. For example many of the tools in the menu are greyed out (cut, fade etc) and although Gain is not greyed out when I attempt to raise a selected portion of the file by 3dB I get an error message:

Do a bounce in place of the flexed file first. Then do the edits in the file editor.

Hi there...tried that - still doesn't work.  any other suggestions?

• 4 months later...

I've had this problem forever and decided to spend the day trying to sort it out with no success. It appears that it's nothing to do with any global settings as the problem is intermittent. I have checked read/write permissions and many of the suggestions above.

Here are some of my findings:

1. It happens with & without Flex engaged/non-Flexed tracks/comp'd & non-comp'd regions. 

2. It doesn't seem to happen to regions that are bounced in place. 

3. The only Functions unavailable (greyed out) are of the destructive kind. 

4. If I persist with my attempts by selecting different regions and going back to the region in question the Functions operate as expected once in a while. If I then close & reopen the window the Functions are greyed out once again. 

5. Switching the computer off & on makes no difference. 

6. The problem occurs with new 10.3.1 projects as well as projects migrated from my old computer. 

7. My projects are saved as folders and not packages.

8. Every Logic-related folder is unlocked, as far as i can tell. Not sure what the little clock indicates. 

9. Apparently, it's not possible to repair disc permissions with OS 10.12.5

If anyone can solve this issue I will worship them as a god!

• 2 years later...

So did anyones collective brains solve this thing? I'm new to Logic. I have imported several audio files, looks like I"m saving as a package having checked. I did a Mac reboot and two audio files I could edit of the 5. I edited those, did another reboot and can't edit any of the 5. All say audio file is locked. Permissions fine. files are on desktop folder.

Seems a pretty elementary thing to want to do yet there are several threads spanning years..... anyone got a definitive answer please?

So did anyones collective brains solve this thing? I'm new to Logic. I have imported several audio files, looks like I"m saving as a package having checked. I did a Mac reboot and two audio files I could edit of the 5. I edited those, did another reboot and can't edit any of the 5. All say audio file is locked. Permissions fine. files are on desktop folder.

Seems a pretty elementary thing to want to do yet there are several threads spanning years..... anyone got a definitive answer please?

In 20 years using Logic I have never, ever seen this issue. Here's my workflow, if you want to try it: save projects organized as folders, copying audio files into project, before I even start doing anything like record audio into the project.

That hasn't worked either. I started again, saved with Folders, added mp3 into folders, imported audio tracks and still it says This audio file can not be changed, volume or file is locked. I can split the track but I can't remove sections in the file editor section and the bottom of the screen.