'One or more audio files changed in length'

borisboris

Hi there

I read the previous posts on this topic but was slightly confused by some of the terminology. I had 4 big projects with lots of audio and software instruments. They were alternate versions, which I have worked on for months. I bounced them into MP3's before I went on holiday. I came back and when I open them it says 'One or multiple audio files changed in length', and in each one it said hundreds have changed in length or content position (up to 950). The acoustic and electric guitar parts have been completely jumbled between the 4, in such a way that it doesn't seem feasible to simply spend hours trying to find the right bits and copy and paste them back to their right place in their original project. So far as I am aware I have never done anything  to these audio files. I simply recorded the parts (quite a lot), if I didn't like it I deleted it, if I did I kept it. I didn't label them in a particular audio file with long names or anything. When I saw this problem with each of the projects I got my USB with back ups on and loaded each one to see if they had the same problem. One did but the others were fine. When I re-loaded them today the ones which were fine all had the same problem. I don't know how this has happened. I don't know if something happens when I save it which causes the problem. When I revert to old saved versions they have the same problem but it says fewer audio regions have changed length or content position. I have no idea what to do. It looks like months of work has been ruined. Is there anyway I can get my projects back to how they used to be? It seems unlikely given that these are all saved versions including my backed-up ones. And simply going back to square one and re-recording all those parts doesn't seem an option because the backed up versions which were fine suddenly got the same problem too. So presumably if I just deleted all the jumbled up audio and re-record, as soon as I press save it could just as easily jumble it again. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to rectify this problem? At the moment I don't even see how I could use Logic on this laptop again. Thanks a lot, apologies if I have asked any questions with obvious answers......

I'm not sure it will help (though I hope), but audio length change often has to do with a change in sample rate. Did you change anything in your preferences, project(s) settings (or in Apple's Midi Audio Setup utility), regarding either standard sample rate of your projects, or the sample rate of you audio interface, that would create a mismatch between the two?

Thanks a lot Arnaud, I change the sample rate under audio in preferences quite regularly: i.e. when I'm recording making it smaller, when I'm listening/editing making it bigger. I don't believe I have ever changed the sample rate of the audio interface, unless inadvertently. Would changing the sample rate of the projects have an effect on the interface? This is something I have always done when using Logic. Thanks again

Thanks a lot Arnaud, I change the sample rate under audio in preferences quite regularly: i.e. when I'm recording making it smaller, when I'm listening/editing making it bigger. I don't believe I have ever changed the sample rate of the audio interface, unless inadvertently. Would changing the sample rate of the projects have an effect on the interface? This is something I have always done when using Logic. Thanks again

Sounds like you're changing your I/O Buffer Size. The sample rate is not a preference but a project setting (File > Project Settings > Audio). 

David is right, what you change in the preferences is probably not the sample rate but the buffer size. What I mean is the sample rate setting in your audio project(s), and possibly as well how your audio interface itself is configured, in case you could affect its sample rate from somewhere else than your projetc settings. For instance, have a check into how it is setup in the Audio MIDI Setup utility for instance. By all means you should make sure that everything matches, i.e. that the sample rate of your interface in the Audio MIDI Setup utility is the same as the sample rate of your project settings which itslef should be the same as the sample rate of the audio files used in that project. Again, I'm not sure this is the true culprit of the issue you're faced with, but the first thing I would have a look into would be to see if some mismatch between these was introduced one way or another at some point.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Did this issue get resolved by changing the sample rates?

I am having this exact issue right now and it's causing me a lot of pain! I'm not at the computer right now but I will check to see if this works later but I was wondering if you did manage to sort the issue out?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

This just happened to me. I was working in the project one day....the next day I opened it and it's completely messed up. For some reason, after looking into the project resources/media inside the package, Logic has changed the sample rate on anything that was in BWAV/WAV format from 88.2 to 44.1.....this, understandably messes up the playback of these files, but since the Drummer Track ALSO is set to "follow" various ones of these, it's not playing what it was playing when they were in time. I checked the other 4 of the five projects--done via the same method (which involved doing pieces in Cubase and importing them)....and they seem fine. I'm going to run an ad hoc backup in case they "get this bug".

I usually write off odd Logic behavior by thinking I hit some keyboard shortcut by accident that enabled one of the Flex modes somewhere....but, why on earth would there be a keyboard shortcut for "resample all WAV format audio in this project to half the sample rate".....? sic. This has to be a bug, no?

LPX 10.3.2

2012 MBAir (Projects on internal SSD-sampler instruments on external USB3 SSD)

TascamUS800

All projects 24/88.2 64bit summing

Edited by JamieLang

FWIW--I went into the package, restored the WAV files from backup....and it all opens up fine now. That doesn't change the huge concern about the WHY it happened....it's good that I had the backup, and am savvy enough to drop them back into the consolidated package, but.....20 years of digital audio production--never seen anything like this.

Has it been officially reported?

The thing is--how do you reproduce it for them? I looked....it turns out that the project had mismatched sample rates in it's file set previously. At least as far back as I had backups. But, the new files were 100% double confirmed at 24/88....I infant, dropped them (from backup) into the PKG and the project now opens properly--note I've never saved it since it went awry--in hopes I could fix it. I did. But, that ruined the session that night. It's shaken my faith a little. It's not the first truly session stopping thing that's happened in my year with LPX.

Most has been around the Flex system coming on and changing things....when no edits were ever specified, and in some cases, the mode not intentionally turned on at all...I think my biggest feature request would be "Global disable for Flex system"...all it "legacy mode" or "tape machine mode" or something.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

Just ran into the same problem, i have had it a couple of times before, but i finally managed to find some kind of a solution. So what i would suggest doing is:

Select the affected region > Go to the Browser (schortcut F) > You should now see your file selected and displayed with a different sample rate from the one of your project > Right click it > Select Copy/Convert File(s) > and then select the desired sample rate and destination where to save it (I just replaced the old file)

I had my audio files exported in 44.1khz from another project, converted to 96khz with iZotope RX and imported to a new project in 96khz. I ran into this issue when i reopened the project. I don't know why is this happening, might be that logic needs to convert the files itself (i'm just guessing), even though I personally prefer to use the RX converter.

Another thing is if you've had any audio slices, you would probably need to slice them again.

I hope this helps guys

Regards,

Stanislav

• 1 month later...

I have a project recorded in January on the studio's computer. It's still in that computer's HD. Recorded in 96/24 without any issued. Using an interface at the studio, of course.

I copied the files to my HD and had a rough mix made on my computer, from my HD, also without any issues. On my computer I work without any interface. Straight from my mac's core audio. But I've worked on this project without any issues.

Today I opened it to start mixing the project and I got the message that over 200 of the regions changed in lenght or content position. And that one of the files seems to be damaged. I've had that same message on some other projects at the studio but I'd go on playing the project without any audible issues. This one was not the case. The whole song was messed up.

I closed the project without saving and came here for help. Then reopened the song to check on the sample rate of the files. All of the files were still 96/24 and I had an exclamation point on that damaged file. I closed the project again, without saving, and reopened it just for the heck of it.

Now I got a message saying that 4 regions changed lenght, not the same hundreds of before... and the song seems visualy 99% fine. Aparently, only the last 4 regions of the song are out of place.

I'm thinking about trying another reopen of the song to check if it gets back to perfect. But I'm afraid it'll get all out of place again.

Seems like a bug without much of any explanation as to why it happens since It's gone from over 200 regions changed to 4 just because I closed and reopened the project a few times...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For what it's worth, I had this issue last night after dragging a tack containing an apple loop (triangle) into the project's Drum Summing Stack. Bouncing the loop to a new track and deleting the original solved the problem.

Edit:

Spoke too soon. Now impossible to align ANY flex to exact bars (all bars fall shy by the same amount. See attached).

The ''One or more audio files changed in length' message distinctly mention ONE file only. But this is GLOBAL.

Back to my 'other' DAW. It just works.

1.thumb.png.532058f3575bd8d4b333e26620379950.png

At no time have I changed the sample rate, and all audio in the project has been recorded within the project itself, with the exception on one apple loop, now nuked. So

Any solution

• 9 months later...
Hi guys, I've had the exact same problem but, as I'm not a LPX veteran 'cause I started recording only about two years ago, I'm afraid I have screwed something up. Last year I recorded on LPX some acoustic songs for my band, and they are about to be published by the end of this year. Back then, the project was saved in my MacBook Air. To save some space during the period when I hadn't been working on it, I had moved it to my external Hard Disk. A few months ago I bought a MacBook Pro and an external ssd not to fill my computer with LPX projects and to work on them directly on the external ssd. So I copied the project into the ssd and started working on it. When I first opened the project saved on the ssd I saw that message, but there were not many damaged files so I just copied them from the project that was saved into the HD. Since then, all went fine until yesterday, when it started showing that message again. This time I copied the channel strip settings and the automations of each channel from the project in the ssd to that on the HD (as it didn't show that message and had the exact same audio files), and then copied the project from the HD into the ssd. Last night I reopened it and it showed that message again. I really can't understand what the problem could be, because the only difference between the two project is where they are saved, and it can't be a problem of where the original files are because I always work with both the HD and the ssd connected to my computer. I can't work on the project saved on the HD because it is too slow, and I can't lose hours repeating the same thing every time I open the project. Sorry for the length of the reply but I didn't want to miss details.

• 1 year later...
FWIW--I went into the package, restored the WAV files from backup....and it all opens up fine now. That doesn't change the huge concern about the WHY it happened....it's good that I had the backup, and am savvy enough to drop them back into the consolidated package, but.....20 years of digital audio production--never seen anything like this.

This seems to happen when the audio regions and the audio files somehow become unlinked. I had this yesterday on an incredibly complex session, with many session alternatives and 100s of audio files, each more than three hours long (don't ask). When I set the project up, I had "copy audio files to folder" checked but changed it because I didn't want to use the hard drive space for the 800gb of files. After changing the assets setting, there were still a number of audio files in the "Audio Files" folder. My solve yesterday, after a lot of handwringing, was to remove all audio files in the audio folder. This forced Logic to search for the files and locating them again in the proper place eliminated the issue.