Score Editor Problems

millarddanny100
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

You can make a preset of instruments you want to display also.  Full score.. Sometimes, I'll make a score of just guitars, piano, to tighten notes, etc.. This limited presets make it easier to focus on editing a piece.. If you're using a Kontakt> instrument, with extreme high or low notes, you can make a modified staff, that will have a limited note range, so you don't see those extra low notes.. If you have a track with organ 'palming' or glasses, etc.. You can make a dummy display track.. That is copy the real midi track, then use Logics special display features to make score look nice.. This instrument should have no instrument assigned to it, it is for display purposes only.. Of course you can't edit it and expect to hear changes, you'll have to juggle.. 

I never really got the whole drum kit display thing together.. Some kits will have several variations of of snares, kicks, hats..  I'll copy the real MIDI drum track to a display,, for the 5 different snare sounds are now all assigned to D1. so the display looks nice.. This drum display track, of course has no instrument assigned, it is only for display to make the score look more pleasing.. 

• 2 years later...
I'm not understanding this at all. When I click the fat arrow, I can't see the score sets - I only get to the top level. If I open the score sets, they only show in a separate window and I can't see the score for that group. I can either see all instruments or a single instrument, even if I managed to make a group of rgions into a score set, bracketed them together etc etc. I'm also not able to find a filter pop-up menu, so I'd appreciate some help with that.

I'm not understanding this at all. When I click the fat arrow, I can't see the score sets - I only get to the top level. If I open the score sets, they only show in a separate window and I can't see the score for that group. I can either see all instruments or a single instrument, even if I managed to make a group of rgions into a score set, bracketed them together etc etc. I'm also not able to find a filter pop-up menu, so I'd appreciate some help with that.

Here's a graphic that may help - and I only learnt about this in the last year ( thank you to LPH Moderator and Logic Score Expert volovicg ! )

In the snapshot below there are three key things to look at regarding the word "Filter" top left.

When you are in the Score Editor and you see the word 'Filter' it is sometimes not always obvious whether you are looking at an Instrument or a Score Set

In the top third of the snapshot - you are looking at an Instrument. Many many times, I wasted ages formatting the Score while Instrument was displayed.. a total waste of time because Logic will not remember your Format settings if Instrument is displayed. This screen is only a display of the Midi notes of the Instrument, although curiously Logic allows you to do Score Formatting operations on this Filter View even though your efforts will be forgotten immediately you change screens.

In the middle third of the snapshot - you are looking at a Scoreset which you have to actively make using a Key Command or from the Menu - Create Scoreset.

Once you make a Scoreset Logic will remember your Format edits when you bring up that particular Score Set

( NB but best to save this as a separate Screenset with all Links turned off and the Screenset locked. ( But that's a just a personal practise recommendation and a separate discussion).

In the bottom third of the snapshot - you are look at the Menu which displays both Instruments below and Scoresets above - often the Score Set name can be exactly the same as the Instrument name, but you wouldnt know this until you looked at this window because Filter on it's own unopened does not visually clarify this and can be ambiguous. 2033484534_ScreenShot2019-07-16at18_47_07.thumb.png.53489f188707b4f01523a626fb1f2fa7.png

Yes, I learned about the wonders of score sets from my Score Sensei "Ski". I do a lot of "Big Big Band" writing. So I've created score sets to work with as follows with corresponding screen set numbers;

Full Band-Screen set #4 for no real reason

Saxes- Screen set #5 because there are 5 Saxes

Full Brass-(Tpts and Trbs) Screen set #8 because there are 8 brass

Trumpets- Screen set #3 because the trumpet has 3 valves

Trombones-Screen set #7 because the trombone has 7 positions

I also CAPITALIZE the score sets to quickly see that I'm either looking at a SCORE SET or an Instrument, since they often switch between as I edit. It took some doing, but I've learned how to create screen sets pretty quickly and even rearrange the order (which is VERY UNINTUITIVE) For music notation and part preperation, it's a great help.

Another great tip from the Mighty "Ski" is, while working primarily in a full score situation (before actually prepping parts) to set up your paper size to "Tabloid." (Insert Kim Kardashian Joke here)

@DanRad - most interesting to learn of your system. (Indeed the Dalai "Ski" is a key source of wisdom in the ancient martial art of Score Editing)...

Would your Screensets be referring to a Template you have created which already contains blank regions of those instruments? OR Are you able to create the Screensets ( with their Score Sets) of Instruments without Regions?

I have not yet found a way to save the viewing preferences in a Screenset ( which I always set to the same parameters: View>Show Margins, Show Guides for Selected Objects, Show Duration Bars for Selected Objects) and each time I create a Scoreset for a single instrument I have to reset these Viewing options).

Very much like your choice to CAPITALIZE the Score Set Names to distinguish them from Instrument Names...

As for the paper size of Tabloids .. yes we have the same problem in London ;)

I have templates and/or import "Project Settings" for scores styles, score sets, screen sets etc. To lock screen sets... create it as you want it, and lock it (I have a key command set to "lock/unlock screen set"). If you want to change it permanently, unlock it and relock it, otherwise, when you hit the numerical assignment, it goes back to the earlier locked settings... When there is a "bullet" beside the screen set number, it's locked. I have tweaked various templates and screen sets over the 23+ years I've been using Logic.

Thank you, Music Spirit. I kept looking for that filter button in the score editor. I for some reason thought that all the sidebars in the editors are also called inspectors. Now that I already have a score set, all I needed was the option to filter it.