Import midi without automatically creating Instrument Tracks

Booli
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

Would never have got to that one alone... Thanks!

Oh, Tried that right now, and it's not working for me.

In the Import window, while the file selected, I'm pressing Option and click import (while pressed),

but same behaviour - 

The tracks are loaded into an instrument preset.

Would never have got to that one alone... Thanks!

Oh, Tried that right now, and it's not working for me.

In the Import window, while the file selected, I'm pressing Option and click import (while pressed),

but same behaviour - 

The tracks are loaded into an instrument preset.

It should work.

Logic will create MIDI tracks assigned to the GM synth but you can just remove that assignment to get an "empty MIDI track".

So close... delighted (?) to find someone else running into this. Has had me in agony for ages... importing a MIDI File not only adds GM default tracks, but also adds a number of undeletable MIDI Channel Strips in the Mixer, even after deleting GM MIDI tracks (seriously)! 

I had tried an option press at the same time as hitting File > Import > MIDI File before I found this, and this didn't work. Then found this great thread (thanks folks) -but holding down option while pressing No or Import Tempo still created the GM tracks (and the dreaded undeletable MIDI Channel Strips!). Any other suggestions? Or am I missing the correct place to press Option?? Many thanks for any advice!

Logic X 10.2.2 btw (Mavericks victim)

• 11 months later...

Found this post via google after accidentally dragging a midi clip into my LPX project.

As Eric suggested, this trick (holding down "option") also works for dragging midi-clips (i.e. from Maschine or other apps). Although, it's worth dragging the clip onto an existing instrument track.

Those who didn't and wondering how to delete the extra GM tracks, you will have to delete the GM device via "Environment > MIDI Layer, delete GM device" as described here: viewtopic.php?t=48799 . Once you've removed the GM device, the extra strips should disappear.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
...sadly a bump...holding down "option" in any combinations while importing a midi file still creats the unwanted/dreaded "grand piano" and all the "goo" that goes with it...what am I missing?.../s~

Same issue here. Not sure if steveLpx1 ended up finding a solution...

Arghh...

You are not the one doing it wrong. It was my description that was erroneous.

I forgot Logic asks for tempo info import nowadays. Hold down option while you click on No or Import Tempo.

I'm not even getting the option to choose whether to import tempo info.

When importing a MIDI file while holding down the option key (either using "Import Midi File" from the menu or by dragging the MIDI file in) it always creates separate tracks for each region of the MIDI file, even though the MIDI was all in the same track when exported.

For example, the MIDI file I'm trying to import now is a MIDI drum track with 56 regions. Instead of placing those 56 regions side-by-side in the destination drum track of the new project as you'd expect, LPX creates 56 "Steinway Grand Piano | Ch 1" tracks with one region in each.

It's time consuming to drag each of the regions from those 56 tracks up into the drum track I'm trying to import them into.

I'm just trying to take the a multi-region MIDI file from one project and pop it into a different project, but no luck and the option key isn't solving it.

Any other possible solutions to get around this?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...