Where Are Drum Machine Designer Kits Saved?

TheUncannyValley

I was really hoping to find this answer on my own or by doing a search here on the forum. No Luck. Maybe I'm too tired...

I customized the Drum Machine Designer kit "Big Room" earlier and immediately went to save it. Instead of taking me to the directories where I'd normally find other channel strip patches, it took me to the directory for the project I'm working on. No problem, but...

I would like to save a copy of this DMD patch alongside the DMD patches which ship with Logic but can't find the directory. This would make it easier for me to reuse the kit in a new song rather than navigating to far-off folders via the library.

Does anyone happen to know where the Drum Machine Designer's default kits are saved? Thank you in advance!

Russell

TheUncannyValley said:
(...) and immediately went to save it.

How did you attempt to save it exactly? I'm asking because DMD is not a plug-in per se, it's just a front GUI for Ultrabeat. As such, you cannot save DMD settings.

You can however save patches containing DMD, and those are saved just like any other instrument patches, under Music/Audio Music Apps/Patches/Instruments/

David Nahmani said:

How did you attempt to save it exactly? I'm asking because DMD is not a plug-in per se, it's just a front GUI for Ultrabeat. As such, you cannot save DMD settings.

You can however save patches containing DMD, and those are saved just like any other instrument patches, under Music/Audio Music Apps/Patches/Instruments/

Hi David,

I saved it as a channel strip setting (Logic Channel Strip Settings file [*.cst]). This morning I moved that file to Music/Audio Music Apps/Channel Strip Settings/Instruments/, created an empty project and loaded it into a blank channel strip. It loaded everything (effects, etc) except an instrument.

I opened finder, created a copy, gave it a slightly different name and manually placed it in Music/Audio Music Apps/Patches/Instruments/ but now it's not appearing in the library or any other place which seems easily accessible from menus.

* * * In the 45 minutes or so since I wrote the above, I've been experimenting with this whole DMD paradigm from the p.o.v. implied by the answer you gave in your initial reply to this question (and also from the way it was described in an MPV tutorial...as a "meta-instrument")...in other words, I'm starting to get a handle on this just by experimenting, going into the summing ("instrument-routing"?) stack, replacing kit pieces, etc, etc.

So, thank you for your help, but I think it will be easier for you and me if I just continue experimenting until I get a full handle on it. :-)

(And, for what it's worth, I found the two kick sounds I wanted in the first place).

• 3 years later...

you can. They are available under Electronic Drum Kits in the library, there is one called "Empty Kit".

Its also available from the plugin menu when you click on the button for a plugin on a channel strip to choose a plugin, you can choose Drum Machine Designer and it will load an empty DMD.

akozak said:
Seem VERY odd that you no longer can load a Drum Machine Designer straight form the library/directory...what if you just want a blank drum machine designer kit to load samples into? Am I missing something?

You can click the instrument slot on a software instrument channel strip and choose DMD.

Note that a quicker way to start a DMD patch with your own samples is to drag your samples to the empty area to the bottom of your track headers in the Tracks view, and choose Drum Machine Designer:

DMD-drag-n-drop.thumb.jpg.d245a442645eef880a738b2b12336019.jpg

• 4 months later...
Hi guys, Just had a question regarding this. Is there a way to load my own audio files into the DMD pads from the "Library" on the left in logic. I know I can drag and drop my audio files but I want to audition percussions etc while my kick and bass is playing and when I click a pad it opens library and I can scroll through the sounds there. Wondering how I can add my sounds to the library to access them in that fashion. Any help is appreciated as Iv tried searching to no avail. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've also been looking with no success how to integrate my own kit elements into the library. I could not find an actual location in Finder for any of the factory DMD patches. I'd like to reorganise this folder to not have to sift through everything that's there by creating sub folders.

I wonder if the Logic team has completely hidden access to these files for safety.

aseem said:
Hi guys, Just had a question regarding this. Is there a way to load my own audio files into the DMD pads from the "Library" on the left in logic. I know I can drag and drop my audio files but I want to audition percussions etc while my kick and bass is playing and when I click a pad it opens library and I can scroll through the sounds there. Wondering how I can add my sounds to the library to access them in that fashion. Any help is appreciated as Iv tried searching to no avail. Thanks!
tinhead88 said:
I've also been looking with no success how to integrate my own kit elements into the library. I could not find an actual location in Finder for any of the factory DMD patches. I'd like to reorganise this folder to not have to sift through everything that's there by creating sub folders.

I wonder if the Logic team has completely hidden access to these files for safety.

The Library shows patches, not audio files. All the factory individual kit piece patches you choose from the library are located inside the Logic Pro app package:

1. Control-click the Logic Pro app and choose Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents/Resources/Patches/Instrument/Drum Machine/z01 Kit Pieces/ to see the folders containing the different kit pieces.

Tutorial: How to save custom patches for your own samples in the Library

1. Open the All Files browser and navigate to your samples.
  2. Drag and drop your samples in the empty area at the bottom of the track headers and choose Drum Machine Designer. Your samples should be loaded on individual pads in DMD.
    720166571_CreateDMD.thumb.png.3e84391c00f4a80568893c46bd633d2b.png
  3. Open the Library.
  4. In DMD click one of the pads for one of the samples.
  5. In the Library, click Save.

• 1 month later...

I was having the same problem and this video solved it for me. 
Once you have your custom DMD patch, you have to open the Library panel in the left side, and click Save down on the bottom of the panel. Then it saves your patch as a .patch file, NOT a .cst file. 
Once it is saved as a .patch file it should show up in "User Patches" along with all of Logic's provided patches in the Library side panel.