Just confirming: Nested Summing Track Stacks are impossible, yes?

gnapier

• 1 year later...

Revisiting this topic...

As far as nesting summing stacks, my nephew Justin said something to me earlier today that triggered a thought... So I went and tried it, and it works (if this was known already, my apologies).

If you put a summing stack inside a folder stack, and then go to the environment and re-assign the VCA (channel that belongs to the folder stack) to an AUX, you now have a summing stack inside a summing stack. Works correctly, you'd just need to manually route the input of the input of the enclosing stack to whatever bus, and the output of the enclosed stack(s) to that bus.

You can then create as many additional summing stacks inside the top layer, but it seems you can only have 2 layers deep.

Cornel

Wondering why Logic's interface won't allow you to do this now if it's actually possible to do it in the Environment.

My pleasure. I was happy to see that it's possible. But yeah, I don't know why it's not possible via the interface since it's obviously doable. There may be some issues with saving patches for such stacks, not sure yet 'cause I'm still testing. For that matter, I don't know why it's not possible to have more than two layers, since it's obviously possible to create routing like that.

Still, as much as the environment is annoying and lagging behind the rest of the interface, I'm glad for it at times.

...a little help...I can create "summing stacks" inside a "folder stack" but I can't get the routing to work. Could you give another description? I'm having trouble sorting out "...you'd just need to manually route the input of the input of the enclosing stack to whatever bus, and the output of the enclosed stack(s) to that bus..."

If/when I can get this to work my life in LPX would be much improved.../s~

...a little help...I can create "summing stacks" inside a "folder stack" but I can't get the routing to work. Could you give another description? I'm having trouble sorting out "...you'd just need to manually route the input of the input of the enclosing stack to whatever bus, and the output of the enclosed stack(s) to that bus..."

If/when I can get this to work my life in LPX would be much improved.../s~

hey, sure thing.

Just to make sure we're on the same page... The way a summing stack works is you have a "parent" AUX channel strip that has a BUS assigned to it's input, and it's output is assigned to whatever (default would be Stereo Out). In the Logic user interface, this AUX has a special property that enables it to be a container, so to speak, for other channel strips, at the same time as being a summing sub mix bus. These enclosed channel strips have their output assigned to the same BUS that the parent channel strip has as it's input assignment. From a signal routing perspective, this is the same as any other signal routing, it's just that the Logic interface gives this special summing AUX track the ability to act as a container for other tracks (via that little triangle arrow that allows you to expand and collapse the stack).

So once you've created the summing stack within the folder stack, you then go to the environment and re-assign the SUBx channel (that's the folder stack channel strip) to the next available AUX number, let's say. Once you do that, that channel strip becomes an AUX, to put it simply, BUT it still retains the properties of a stack, meaning it has the little triangle arrow and you can collapse it or expand it.

This top layer stack channel strip is now an AUX instead of a SUB, and it needs a an input assignment to an available BUS, and an output assignment (Stereo Out is the default). So now there's a BUS tied to it's input.

Then, go to your enclosed summing stack, and assign the output of that stack channel strip to the same bus as your input bus for the top layer channel strip. This is actually the same way a normal summing stack works (i.e. all the channel strips inside the summing stack have their output assigned to the BUS that's assigned to the input of the summing stack parent channel strip, it's just that Logic does this assignment automatically for you).

You can now create additional summing stack inside this top level summing stack, and route each additional summing stack parent channel strip to the same bus as the top layer summing stack input.

Just added a gif:

962101465_LogicNestedSummingStacks.thumb.gif.ff0a0bee8b98338fa54a001ee7e28444.gif

Hope this helps!

One other side effect I'm noticing is that for enclosed summing stacks, patches don't seem to recall correctly. I've messed around with Logic drummer producer kits within a summing stack, and clicking on different producer kits patches in the library does not actually update the stack. One workaround so far is to temporarily drag the stack outside of the parent stack, choose your patch, and then put it back in the parent stack. A bit annoying, but not horrible.

Cornel,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. It really helps. And it’s a bit brilliant too!

So as you said, it’s definitely possible, so let’s hope Apple engineers put a prettier front end on doing this (and fix the patching issue). Until then, maybe a moderator could pin this somewhere...?

Thanks again!