Studio Over Internet?

GrooveChild

I'm assuming that 0.95 is a version just from the look of it, and the fact that it gets sent at the beginning of proceedings.

I was wrong on my previous post about what constitutes a "connected" status in aunetsend - the relationship between the data and the status is:

Listening - waiting for a TCP connection

Connecting - TCP connection has established, "ausend 0.95" sent, waiting for "aunetrecv" reply from aunetreceive

Connected - "aunetrecv" has been received, now streaming audio

If the aunetsend stays at "listening" then nothing is getting through from aunetreceive. There must be something stopping the connection being made. Try this: on the aunetreceive machine, go into Terminal and type

nc xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 52800

where the xs are the IP address of the machine running aunetsend. That should cause the aunetsend to change status to "Connecting".

If it stays at "Listening", then there must be a firewall or something running.

I didn't realise that you were going to try installing the .component file as a plugin! Interesting that it changes something. The coreaudio.component file is basically *all* of CoreAudio. Plugins, default sounds, all that stuff. I was suggesting taking that file and copying it to the same location on one of the machines that didn't work, thinking that there was a version mismatch between the protocols.

I do like a good investigation! good luck

Hmmm! I think that it could be a great feature to implement in Logic Pro X. Especially nowadays...

After reading all the posts above, at this point I think that the current implementation is reserved to IT savvy.

I posted a feature request on Logic Feedback website for a user-friendly implementation of same and would invite everyone interested in such to do the same.

On a technical level it's not really the best solution for transporting audio anyway - you'd be much better off buying a couple of Dante licenses if you want it to "just work"

On a local network with plenty of bandwidth though, it works pretty well. What would be really nice is something that can receive/send streams and present them as virtual audio I/O devices.

For MIDI, the RTPMIDI/AppleMIDI works pretty well (in Audio MIDI Setup)

The only pain is that sessions don't automatically recover/reconnect, but I guess you can get aroudn that with some AppleScript.

Dante is great. It's one of the handful of Ethernet-based protocols used in live sound and broadcast, so you know it's got a good rep for being solid

Really appreciate your inputs!

Thanx!

It would be great to have both (MIDI and audio) implemented into a simple user-friendly feature: ideally open a window, select the available broadcasted session and click to join it. Not having to struggle with different setup scattered among various settings in different apps or requiring scripting...

Dear FFT, Thanks once again for your ongoing spreading of knowledge!

I will look into this tonight or tomorrow.

The Dante solution has been tested already, making an aggregate device with the physical sound card, an SSL MADIXtreme, going into a Source-Nexus AAX plug-in on the ProTools machine, but there were problems as well, I believe it also only works at 48Khz or something like that. Will have to check again.

Sorry for the silence, but last weekend, when trying to update the Mac Pro to High Sierra, after the firmware update and completed OS install, the computer went black and wouldn't boot anymore, on matter what. It's now at a repair shop, with either the power supply or the backplane as the most likely culprit. AUNet experiments will be continued after it is back in service (*knocks on hardwood*)

Thank you very much!

Well, I was explicitly asked to perform the update, as there was ambition to update Logic to 10.4 and also to try AUNet/Send, which seems to work again on High Sierra as opposed to Sierra, amongst other things.

(And the update was performed on five other Mac Pro 5,1s in the studio, so it appeared relatively unproblematic)

It seems from the repair store report that the update taxed the CPU momentarily, that it died and took the backplane with it…

Now researching the availability of replacement parts and/or a second hand 5,1, where the fully working 12 core cpu tray can be reactivated [sigh]