1 core overloading

Kaatza Music

I am having most of the load of Logic hit one core only (# 8). I can't run Altiverb without getting background pops and clicks. QL Spaces puts a lot of stress on the core but works. I have read all of the posts on this issue, however most of them are very old. I have tried routing to Bus channels, etc. Is there anything I can do to distribute the load onto the other 7 cores?

2015 15” MacBook Pro, El Capitan OS X 10.11.6, 2.8 GHz, Intel Core i7, 4 core, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD

Thank you!

I am having a similar problem with Logic 10.2.4 with several plugins in a new project.  The most significant spikes have been happening when I started using Sonarworks Reference 3 software (Monitor calibration)  on my Stereo Out channel strip.  Even with a simple loop loaded I get spikes and they subside to normal levels the moment I bypass.  I have the headphone Sonarworks plugin on my Headphone output channel and this one doesn't have the same impact on the CPU.  I'm thinking it has to do with the Stereo Output, but I'm at a loss where else to place the plugin for use during mixing.  Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

In my Logic preferences I have my multithreading set to "Playback & Live Tracks" and the Processing Threads set to "Automatic" - Processing Buffer range is small as this is a brand new computer and I'm using a UA Apollo for tracking & DSP.

• 2 weeks later...
I am having a similar problem with Logic 10.2.4 with several plugins in a new project.  The most significant spikes have been happening when I started using Sonarworks Reference 3 software (Monitor calibration)  on my Stereo Out channel strip.  Even with a simple loop loaded I get spikes and they subside to normal levels the moment I bypass.  I have the headphone Sonarworks plugin on my Headphone output channel and this one doesn't have the same impact on the CPU.  I'm thinking it has to do with the Stereo Output, but I'm at a loss where else to place the plugin for use during mixing.  Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

In my Logic preferences I have my multithreading set to "Playback & Live Tracks" and the Processing Threads set to "Automatic" - Processing Buffer range is small as this is a brand new computer and I'm using a UA Apollo for tracking & DSP.

You can also use Audio Hijack to host Sonarworks outside Logic in the system audio output routing. The low latency mode options in SW are also useful during tracking. I just changed to using SW in Audio Hijack and it works better for me (no forgetting it's on during bounces).

The other big one for the core spike is record arming an empty audio track. This nearly always fixes glitchy playback for me on big projects.

You can also use Audio Hijack to host Sonarworks outside Logic in the system audio output routing. The low latency mode options in SW are also useful during tracking. I just changed to using SW in Audio Hijack and it works better for me (no forgetting it's on during bounces).

mc-deli thank you for the suggestions.  I actually got Audio Hijack and tried this for a little - but I'm concerned about the latency it induces on the system as a whole.  I guess when tracking it's important to just bypass or quit it and then re-launch and run it the rest of the time.  have you noticed any latency or issues while recording?

Also wondering if you have the headphone instance of Sonarworks too and how you implement it?  Leave it running in Logic?

The other big one for the core spike is record arming an empty audio track. This nearly always fixes glitchy playback for me on big projects.

I tried this and didn't see any obvious change.  maybe I am not understanding you.  so you record enable an empty audio track during general mixing in a large project and you get better performance from logic?  please elaborate

thx!

• 6 months later...
Creating an empty audio track and keeping it selected will keep logic from setting instrument tracks in "live mode", I think that's what mc_deli is saying.

Isn't it about time Logic fixed this? It's been going on for years.

Indeed. I keep requesting this from Apple, so far to no avail.

Live mode should be a preference, not a default and unchangeable behavior. It causes so many problems in my setup, the way I work.