Sustain pedal not working in logic pro x

lupstan

Hi guys.

I've noticed I'dont have my sustain pedal working all of a sudden as well.

I have a Keystation61 and an Apex sustain pedal. I downloaded Snoize's MIDI Monitor and when I press the pedal I get a reading of 127 but Logic doesnt recognize any signal from the pedal.

It really is a no brainer for Logic to interpret MIDI sustain messages as long as the instrument you're using recognizes them. Try a piano patch just to make sure. Try a recording and post a screenshot of the notes and the "127" event so that we can see if it's the correct sustain data being sent, on the correct channel, etc? How to attach files to your post

UPDATE: I bought a different sustain pedal & it works fine now. Haha! That other one just wore out over time I suppose. I haven't had the doubling issue since the new pedal either, which is such a strange "coincidence"...?

Great, well that's good to hear, thanks for letting us know. As for the doubling issue, who knows so far, but if it reoccurs start a new topic for it and we'll help you troubleshoot it! :)

Try bypassing all controllers to check if that solves your issue.

Hi Atlas007

This worked but I'm assuming I have to un-bypass the controllers for full functionality?

(I'm assuming bypassing the controllers is the first step in trouble shooting)

If so, what's next?

Drew

This worked but I'm assuming I have to un-bypass the controllers for full functionality?

The next step is to unbypass the control surfaces, then choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments, locate the assignment for your sustain pedal, click it to select it and press Delete on your keyboard to delete it.

The next step is to unbypass the control surfaces, then choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments, locate the assignment for your sustain pedal, click it to select it and press Delete on your keyboard to delete it.

I've selected Controller Assignments and I don't see an obvious assignment that says sustain or foot pedal or anything of the like.

Forgive me for being daft about this but I'm not sure what I'm looking for

Drew

I found the parameter that had CC64 on it and deleted it.

I've scanned all the available options and I don't seem to have one that says SUSTAIN.

Should I see that?

I've also clicked on Learn Mode and stepped on the sustain pedal (it logs the action in the Controller assignments but I can't find Sustain here)

Edited by Zipfunk

I think I've found it. On my nano Kontrol what I had as Track Record now triggers CC64

Can I over write this with Logic or is it a NanoKontrol issue?

EDIT

Must be as none of the buttons on the NanoKontrol are doing what they're supposed to.

-_-

Is this a 'start from scratch' issue?

Sorry for bombing here.

I just went to my Controller assignments and noticed they're all set to Keystation61 not Nanokontrol

This...

2146501792_ScreenShot2021-08-04at3_59_11PM.png.b59699a68c9241cea341bfa8d0df6083.png

Should be this.

2146501792_ScreenShot2021-08-04at3_59_11PM.png.b59699a68c9241cea341bfa8d0df6083.png

Any idea how that happened?

Should I start from scratch? if so, how do i remove controllers?

By the way, the sustain pedal now works, and nothing else does. hahahaha

585179246_ScreenShot2021-08-04at3_59_19PM.png.3b163a6ce9e048a1176987c11bc3bdcb.png

I think that starting from scratch would be the easiest approach if you didn't do too many customisation.

To delete a control surface from Logic,

disconnect or turn off the MIDI controller devices,

open the Control Surface Setup window.

Select the icon representing the controllers,

then hit Delete on your Mac keyboard.

It is also advisable to go in the Controller Assignment window (Expert mode) and delete each and every entries that are left in there.

Finally reboot Logic (or your Mac).

To reinstall the controllers, once Logic rebooted,

turn on or reconnect one at the time each MIDI Controller device in order to complete one controller's installation at the time, and test it is working properly as expected before proceeding to the next installation.

It is advisable to turn on the one equipped with rotary encoders and/or motorized faders first.

Logic will reinstall them automatically or follow the instructions provided with your MIDI Controller by the manufacturer.

The position of the icons in the Control Surface Setup window will determine how your different MIDI Controller devices will work.

When appearing side by side (horizontally), one will be the extension of the other to its left.

If displayed one above the other, they will be working independently from one another, ending with controllers that could target the same parameters.

If desired, the icons can be (mouse) dragged to move them to the required configuration.

—————————————————————

If your problem with the sustain pedal happens again, check also if it could be due that the sustain pedal assignment as a controller occurred more than once.

Opening the Controller Assignment window in Expert mode would help you see those (unwanted) assignment(s), if any. ..

Do not enable the Learn mode of the Controller Assignment window from now on during the following procedure.

As David explained, actuating your sustain pedal while that Controller Assignment window is opened will normally select (one of) the undesired assignment(s if any more).

Just hit the Delete key on your Mac keyboard while the undue sustain assignment is assigned.

1. Once deleted, actuate another controller on your MIDI controller (one that you know is legitimate),
  2. then actuate again your sustain pedal,
  3. if there is another assignment with the sustain, it will get selected,
  4. in such case, hit the Delete key on your Mac keyboard again.

Repeat those 4 steps until the sustain pedal actuation no longer cause a new selection in the Controller Assignment window.

I think that starting from scratch would be the easiest approach if you didn't do too many customisation.

Good idea. I also dumped many commands I thought I would use.

Do not enable the Learn mode of the Controller Assignment window from now on during the following procedure[/u.

I think you're right as far as where my problems started. I accidentally opened the Controller Assignments window (I'm working on a cobbled together system until my new Mac shows up) and stepping on the sustain pedal is as much of a habit as triple clicking on the margins of webpages

(I really have to stop doing that)

Thanks again guys for helping me sort my disaster out.

Drew

Probably related but thins morning when I use the Nanokontroller the audio delays along with the controller values.

(not latency)'The MIDI number scroll fast after I've stopped using the controller and the notes I played start playing after I'm done playing them.

I have no idea what's going on here.

Probably related but thins morning when I use the Nanokontroller the audio delays along with the controller values.

(not latency)'The MIDI number scroll fast after I've stopped using the controller and the notes I played start playing after I'm done playing them.

I have no idea what's going on here.

This resemble like MIDI data overflow, does the MIDI data reduction setting enabled?

Just noticed something.

When I use the Nanokontrol for anything I've manually set up (I click on Learn Mode then select the parameter in the menu then press the button on the nanokontrol) these all work fine.

It only screws up when I touch one of the three faders I have set for CC7 CC1 CC11

These parameters are set with the Korg Editor App.

Can i set these within Logic?

If so, can I somehow tell the nanokontrol to not reference the Korg software in case theres a conflict?

I realize I'm swinging in the dark here, just trying to get this working mid project

(a little stressful)

Drew

UPDATE:

I deleted the controller assignments in Logic and now it works fine again.

except...

during my problem solving quest I deleted the CC7 from slider number one on my Nanokontrol.

Is there any way to reassign that with Logic pro as the Korg software is unsupported in Big Sur

Sorry for coming back to this sop much but on an older computer with Logic I see the fader does control CC7 but on my main computer it doesnt.

So the Controller is programmed properly but Logic doesnt recognize that one CC value coming from the controller.

Any ideas?

Hi Jackob,

Thanks for posting. I have Snooze and I moving the faders shows midi is transmitting.

Through the Korg Software I can assign any MIDI channel to the fader and it reacts in the Logic pro display (IE if i change it to CC6 it immediately functions but when I try CC7 it does nothing. Even though my old version recognized CC7 info transmitting.)

So Logic pro fro some reason isnt recognizing CC7. Clearly I've done something in all my trouble shooting that I'd like to reverse as soon as possible.

Hi Jackob,

Thanks for posting. I have Snooze and I moving the faders shows midi is transmitting.

Through the Korg Software I can assign any MIDI channel to the fader and it reacts in the Logic pro display (IE if i change it to CC6 it immediately functions but when I try CC7 it does nothing. Even though my old version recognized CC7 info transmitting.)

So Logic pro fro some reason isnt recognizing CC7. Clearly I've done something in all my trouble shooting that I'd like to reverse as soon as possible.

So same problem as with your sustain pedal then ? Works when bypassing all control surfaces ? Etc. etc...

So I just bypassed all control surfaces and CC7 on the fader works again!

Not sure what I need to do but its working now!

Of course none of the other controls (except for CC7 CC11 CC1) work but this will at least get me to the end of my project!

Panning and other functions I "learned" into the Nano don't respond but I'm assuming that's the way it is when you bypass.

So everything except CC7 works when I don't bypass but CC7 CC11 CC1 work (and nothing else) when I bypass.

Is this moving closer to a solution?