Sustain pedal not working in logic pro x

lupstan

I can't get any sustain in Logic pro x.

I'm using a M-Audio sp-2 pedal and Akai MPK88 keyboard with logic pro x 10.2.4

I have a software instrument track opened and a piano sound selected. In Logic's list of events, there are values recorded (numbers around 64 and 0) when I press on the pedal, but I don't hear it, there is no sustain.

I've tried to erase the cs file, it didn't work.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Does the software instrument patch you are playing is set to respond to cc#64 as sustain?

Have you tried with a different software instrument?

Did you program in Logic (via either mapping it as a screen Smart Control or as a MIDI controller assignment) to use the sp-2 sustain pedal as a controller? In which case, bypassing all controllers assignment via Logic Pro > Preferences > Control Surfaces > Bypass all Control Surfaces could solve temporarely your issue.

I've tried different instrument patches from different softwares. I don't know if they are set to respond to cc64 for sustain (how would I check that?), all I know is everyone else just plugs the pedal in the keyboard and yay, it works. But not for me. 

My keyboard is connected to computer through a USB cable, not a midi cable. I don't know if that could be the problem.

The bypass f all control surface didn't work. 

But thank you anyways. 

It looks like you can edit how the footswitch inputs behave on the Akai keyboard (page 30 of manual). Maybe something got changed in there and it’s not sending out the correct data. I have the SP2 (albeit not with an Akai keyboard) and all you should see in Logic is a value of 0 (off/pedal up) and 127 (on/pedal down) on CC64, nothing in between. 

There’s also a polarity switch on the bottom of the SP2 to flip its behaviour. Maybe that is set incorrectly.

I'm recording midi. Virtual instruments. The setup of the akai seems ok, set to 064. Actually, the sound is more metallic than a hi-hat... I would not mind a mechanical sound coming from the pedal itself, but the thing is, it resonates in the system and is recorded with the piano sound. 

I'm recording midi. Virtual instruments. The setup of the akai seems ok, set to 064. Actually, the sound is more metallic than a hi-hat... I would not mind a mechanical sound coming from the pedal itself, but the thing is, it resonates in the system and is recorded with the piano sound. 

When you record MIDI, no "sound", or audio, is recorded. So this unwanted sound must be generated by your software instrument, as Avanti says. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

i have a new keyboard M audio hammer 88 , and a new sustain pedal , i have the yamaha sustain pedal and the donner with polarity switch .

still wont work . Any help will be appreciated , i talk to friends who installed logic and yay sustain works ..so they cant help at all.

Edited by Claude Ruest

• 4 months later...
... any luck?

Hey, David! I've tried the suggestions above & am still having issues with the sustain pedal (M-Audio SP-2). The sustain seems to work intermittently & this has been a problem for a while that I'm just now taking time to fix. See the link for screenshots. https://imgur.com/a/o3MaDBk

System details:

Mid-2015 MacBook Pro, 10.12.6 macOS

Logic Pro X 10.4.4

Studiologic SL88|Studio MIDI controller

The controller is connected to my computer via USB. I try unplugging things & restarting the computer, trying different USB cables, bypassing all control surfaces, unplugging the pedal, making sure the switch is properly flipped, etc. & still have issues... In my Logic session, you can see that I have sustain data recorded (from last night). It sounded fine last night too. Today, the sustain doesn't seem to be working at all. I downloaded "MIDI monitor" & played a note. No data shows when I push down the pedal controller - only when I play the keyboard.

... any luck?

UPDATE: just tested the same SP-2 pedal with my friend's M-Audio Keystation 88es (which is what I recorded piano on last night) & the sustain works fine. See link for picture of sustain data in "MIDI monitor". Do you think it's some strange compatibility glitch with the Studiologic or something weird with the pedal?

Looks like your keyboard is sending double notes, on both channel 1 & 2, this could be contributing to your problem, so try to find the setting on the keyboard that stops that behavior... If you don't see the sustain messages in midi monitor when you press the pedal, it simply means that your keyboard stopped sending any, so you probably changed something on the 88es...

Looks like your keyboard is sending double notes, on both channel 1 & 2, this could be contributing to your problem, so try to find the setting on the keyboard that stops that behavior... If you don't see the sustain messages in midi monitor when you press the pedal, it simply means that your keyboard stopped sending any, so you probably changed something on the 88es...

The not doubling happens with both the 88es & the SL88. There aren't any settings to change on the M-Audio 88es as it's a simple controller... https://m-audio.com/products/view/keystation-88es

Haven't adjusted anything on the SL88 either, btw. I've tried different sustain pedals. There must be something wrong with Logic Pro X I'm thinking. Maybe just a strange glitch. I'll check for an update.

...The note doubling happens with both the 88es & the SL88....
Are you absolutely sure of that ? Could it be that your screenshot shows a recording in Logic using the pedal on the es88, and a screenshot of midi monitor using the sl88 ? I highly suspect that this is a setting needed to be adjusted in the sl88...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I've noticed I'dont have my sustain pedal working all of a sudden as well.

I have a Keystation61 and an Apex sustain pedal. I downloaded Snoize's MIDI Monitor and when I press the pedal I get a reading of 127 but Logic doesnt recognize any signal from the pedal.

Clearly I've screwed something up yet as usual I know not what.

Any help would be great.