Logic 10,3 is here.

Kim Olesen

the GUI is also a LOT less laggy when you have hundreds of little tiny audio regions on screen. A definite win for me since i like to edit live drums with a beat-detective workflow like in pro tools. Logic still takes forever to slice at the transient markers but at least it doesnt crash my system like before.

Dual mono plugins are REALLY useful. I love it, well done apple.

Oh and the animated metronome icon, thats cute as s#!+, it looks like its waving at me... i feel special

Haptic Feedback on the newer trackpads.

Really? How do I test this? I have the Magic Trackpad 2 by the way.

On my 12" Macbook, I just have to move the fader/slider past 0dB or when it reaches -infinity or +6dB I get a short feedback. I wonder if they updated any of the 'Force Touch' options.

Really? How do I test this? I have the Magic Trackpad 2 by the way.

On my 12" Macbook, I just have to move the fader/slider past 0dB or when it reaches -infinity or +6dB I get a short feedback. I wonder if they updated any of the 'Force Touch' options.

Haha it's very subtle, but it's there.

Many years ago a great engineer named James Moorer demonstrated that some EQ operations - when done multiple times - can result in round-off error even when using 32 bit float math.  He did some of the DSP for the Sonic Solutions system (a long time staple for mastering engineers).

So it's great that Logic finally went to 64 bit summing (which other DAWs also have).  But depending upon what you are doing, it may not make a difference.  I don't think 64 bit summing will matter if for example you are playing back a stereo file, and then sending it to a  (stereo) buss (where you might apply some plugins), and then from the buss it goes to the main (stereo) output.  There's no summing together of audio signals in this setup.

But if you are sending more then one audio signal into the same buss, then double precision floating point math (64 bit float instead of 32 bit float) could be useful.   I don't recall what floating point implementation core audio uses, but basically floating point represents numbers as a value between 0 and 1 (in the mantissa) with a value for an exponent to multiply or scale the mantissa, plus a sign bit.  Or it's basically like using scientific notation to write 100 as 1 X 10 to the second power.  By using a large number of bits, e.g., 24 bits for the mantissa to represent a value between 0  and 1, you can help minimize any rounding error when adding numbers together (e.g., for audio samples in time).  In double precision (64 bit) float, the number of bits for the mantissa is at least doubled, e.g., from 24 to 48.  Or say in decimal my double precision values are 0.3900 for signal one and, 0.0099 for signal two; adding the signals together with (single) precision would yield 0.39 + 0.01 = 0.40.  But the double precision result would be 0.3900 + 0.0099 = 0.3999.  After thousands of addition calculations (or more) the round of error in the single precision result compared to the double precision result could be significant.

But I don’t think double precision summing means that plugins further along in the signal chain after a summing buss can receive 64 bit floating point data, e.g., you send the output of your stereo drum buss (which summed several audio tracks) into another stereo buss with some plugin in its insert.  I suspect that plugin will see only 32 bit float data.  However, many plugins will take 32 bit float data at the input, internally convert it to 64 bit float to do all the math, and then it becomes 32 bit float again when it is sent back out to the buss.  Or I think the only continuous 64 bit float path is summing buss outputs directly sent to the stereo out (with no other busses and/or plugins in between).  Then you pick what format you want to bounce/write the output file to.

I don't think you have to be summing audio for 64 bit to be a benefit. It's another magnitude of headroom and from my brief experience, it was easily noticeable on one track with one plugin going to one fader. 

It's not a substitute for proper gain structure and good mixing skills, it's just a whole helluva lot more breathing room. 

I've become fairly fanatical in my use of Klanghelm's VU meter, using them everywhere set to -18db VU to keep tabs on the gain that can easily build up between plugins in a channel strip. Most of these vintage emulation plugins, and most plugins in general, seem to be calibrated to that -18vu level.  By keeping the gain in check,  mixes sound better and have less distortion. 64 bit processing should reduce  buss and plugin gain distortion overall, and from what I could tell, fader levels and red meter lights didn't even matter. It sounded completely clean, wide and punchy and my faders and gain were slammed +35db! 

I'll have more time today to really test it all out in a working situation but so far it's an awesome upgrade! Improving and adding features is always nice but rarely is the audio engine completely overhauled. 

the GUI is also a LOT less laggy when you have hundreds of little tiny audio regions on screen. A definite win for me since i like to edit live drums with a beat-detective workflow like in pro tools. Logic still takes forever to slice at the transient markers but at least it doesnt crash my system like before.

Dual mono plugins are REALLY useful. I love it, well done apple.

Oh and the animated metronome icon, thats cute as s#!+, it looks like its waving at me... i feel special

I am very excited if the GUI is more responsive with big projects... especially if drag and drag works with lag...

Took the plunge and finally updated to OS X 10.11.6 from 10.10.5 so I could upgrade to Logic 10.3, happy to report all went well! Love the new Logic features, lots of little enhancements. The GUI changes were a bit of a shock at first but they're growing on me. Mac feels a little snappier than it was on 10.10.5 as well, so that's cool :)

I don't think you have to be summing audio for 64 bit to be a benefit. It's another magnitude of headroom and from my brief experience, it was easily noticeable on one track with one plugin going to one fader. 

It's not a substitute for proper gain structure and good mixing skills, it's just a whole helluva lot more breathing room. 

I've become fairly fanatical in my use of Klanghelm's VU meter, using them everywhere set to -18db VU to keep tabs on the gain that can easily build up between plugins in a channel strip. Most of these vintage emulation plugins, and most plugins in general, seem to be calibrated to that -18vu level.  By keeping the gain in check,  mixes sound better and have less distortion. 64 bit processing should reduce  buss and plugin gain distortion overall, and from what I could tell, fader levels and red meter lights didn't even matter. It sounded completely clean, wide and punchy and my faders and gain were slammed +35db! 

I'll have more time today to really test it all out in a working situation but so far it's an awesome upgrade! Improving and adding features is always nice but rarely is the audio engine completely overhauled. 

Hi, seems you're not familiar with what 64bit summing introduces. This is not for headroom purposes. 32 bit FP has effective resolution of 23bits, and an 8bit sliding scale, which translates to around 1000dB of gain range. Which is plenty. 64bit is for less rounding erros and effectively more transparent summing, not heardroom increase.

It has nothing to do with gain really. If you test logic, you'll see it starts distorting at 6dB just like it used to.

I like the features... but I am on a 2012 iMac and I just had to go back... the fuzziness of the fonts was too much... do you think this will be address....or am I gonna have to stay out of 10.3 till I get a retina iMac.. which is in reality gonna be at least a year out.

cheers

Wiz

It's used to... open Logic without opening any project. Perhaps because you know you're going to use Logic but don't know which project you want to open yet, or want to access open recent files, etc....

And choosing the audio engine I/O buffer size, depend if recording some midi or mixing, without re initializing core audio ( time consumption ) ;) 

BTW, I wonder since years, ok I used to keep the last version somewhere before updating, just in case.

But what about all the prefs (.plist and so on ) ?

I mean does the last version change them ( I guess so ) ? 

Is there any issues recovering the precedent version and running it *with* the new prefs ?