Logic 10,3 is here.

Kim Olesen

"As a complete 'aside,'" perhaps ... I would somewhat-cautiously like to advance the notion that:  "the most-essential distinction between 'user-interface' and 'user-experience" is, in fact, a matter of context.

In the earliest days, "user interface" necessarily meant "graphic user interface." Because, at that time, "'graphic' was 'novel'," therefore, "graphic (alone ...) was sufficient.

Now, not so much.

Today, I think that we all find ourselves in need of much more supporting information!  "The 'visual cues' are simply not enough."  Today, we grow weary(!) of trying to second-guess you, 'you User-Experience (UX) Designer,' with regard to just what you might consider to be "intuitive."

(And ... full disclosure ... "I am," fully, "in your professional user-experience-design shoes!")

UI/UX - whatever it is, i'm sure like most, I've had this conversation a number of times when asked how to send photos to friends/family etc.:-

Me: "Wherever you see a rectangle with an arrow coming out of it, that's how you share"

Them: "What if i want to email it?"

Me: "Yes, that is 'sharing' still"

Them: "What if i don't want anyone to see it?"

Me: "Then you don't press the button"

Them: "Which button?"

Me: "The rectangle one with the arrow coming out of it"

Them: "Oh, i thought that was an icon?"

*thud* :)

In a way, just like most applications, Logic has became that over time, i mean, how intuitive is it really to click those little arrows besides instruments and channel strip blocks to bring up related presets.

Once you know about them, one would say very intuitive, but as UI's/UX expand people are increasingly lead to click on GUI Element that doesn't have a clear definition of what it does (Outside of the standard icon family).  Or in the case of those arrows they don't even exist until you hover over them.  

That's all well and fine, as users should educate themselves on the basics, such as on IOS devices, pulling down the page to refresh the content etc.  Tabbing between fields on web forms etc.  

However, when moving from one OS to the other and with that comes a new set of icons (And gestures!), for example i got a Windows 10 tablet purely from a curiosity point of view, and i was lost using it to start with, had no mouse to hover over the controls to get a contextual tool tip either, which really didn't help.

I spent a bit of time with Studio One, which is based hugely on a drag and drop concept, and i loved it to start with - but in reality, coming back to Logic seemed more intuitive and quicker to me.  But i haven't a clue if that's because it's what i was used to previously, or if truly it's easier to click and select and element, than what it is to open a list one side of the screen and drag the item to the other - i'm too far down the rabbit hole to know! :)

"As a complete 'aside,'" perhaps ... I would somewhat-cautiously like to advance the notion that:  "the most-essential distinction between 'user-interface' and 'user-experience" is, in fact, a matter of context.

In the earliest days, "user interface" necessarily meant "graphic user interface." Because, at that time, "'graphic' was 'novel'," therefore, "graphic (alone ...) was sufficient.

Now, not so much.

Today, I think that we all find ourselves in need of much more supporting information!  "The 'visual cues' are simply not enough."  Today, we grow weary(!) of trying to second-guess you, 'you User-Experience (UX) Designer,' with regard to just what you might consider to be "intuitive."

(And ... full disclosure ... "I am," fully, "in your professional user-experience-design shoes!")

I'll call it whatever you want me to call it, with bells on, if you can afford it, because I am a copywriter, and shameless.

Sorry OT. No way am I touching 10.3 until the region dragging and tools bugs are fixed.

Now, not so much.

I'll call it whatever you want me to call it, with bells on, if you can afford it, because I am a copywriter, and shameless.

Sorry OT. No way am I touching 10.3 until the region dragging and tools bugs are fixed.

the region-dragging issue (for some of us, anyway), has been around since 10.2.something. also... there are always bugs. me, i wouldn't give up the new features (and stability) of 10.3 for anything....

Hello,

A quick question please: since I updated to 10.3 I have noticed that when selecting several regions (whether MIDI or audio) in the Tracks area and trying to split them at a certain location using the Marquee tool it only splits the one I click on (as opposed to splitting all selected regions at the same point as it used to do). Any idea of what is causing this and how to be back to splitting multiple regions at the same time?

Thank you in advance for your time and help,

Y

I don't seem to have the problem here. All is working as expected.

Neither do I...

My Logic x is making sparkling noise when i open it and plug an external synthesiser any help? Ableton is ok! something strange is on my Imac is making this noise and on my Macbook is ok.

Just wanted to add that I'm noticing similar noise artefacts in sound during normal usage. I can even see some type of quantization distortion as high frequency noise in external spectrum analyzer and the Bit Noise & Statistics section of RME DIGICheck shows some red 'error' bits. Switched back to 32 bit engine and seems to be ok. Errors occured with Logic Pro X 10.3.0 on Mac Pro El Capitan and iMac macOS Sierra with RME UFX and RME UCX interfaces.

Anyone else working with video? Noticing something weird. 

1. A session was created on Logic 10.2.4 (on machine #1)
  2. Same session opened and re-saved in 10.3 (on machine #2) for editing purposes. 
  3. Opened newly saved session back up in 10.2.4 (machine #1), seems fine until...
  4. When I attempt to do a tempo change, the video file also speeds up or slows down along with the tempo. I've never seen this. If things aren't SMPTE locked, the audio & midi changes like normal, but the video should never speed up or slow down from a tempo change.

Any thoughts? 

Cheers

Laurence506:My Logic x is making sparkling noise when i open it and plug an external synthesiser any help? Ableton is ok! something strange is on my Imac is making this noise and on my Macbook is ok.

Just wanted to add that I'm noticing similar noise artefacts in sound during normal usage. I can even see some type of quantization distortion as high frequency noise in external spectrum analyzer and the Bit Noise & Statistics section of RME DIGICheck shows some red 'error' bits. Switched back to 32 bit engine and seems to be ok. Errors occured with Logic Pro X 10.3.0 on Mac Pro El Capitan and iMac macOS Sierra with RME UFX and RME UCX interfaces.

Hem, weird, now I read this it seems that I'v heard too some stranges noises during normal use.

I've tried to set the audio buffer to 1024, and subtle clicks seems to disappear, as opposite to my days to day 256 buffer ( except for final mix ).

Anyone else having problems when trying to flatten a take folder? I have a success rate at something like 10%, have to try it over and over again. Pretty weird.

Hate the new "recent plugin"-thing too, so confusing since everything just jumps around there. Why do they implement such a feature with no way to turn it off?

Other than that I think this version is quite nice. I get the feeling that it responds more quickly. Had to get the Gold Theme mod and do some tweaking to it though. The new look made my eyes sad  :D

Hem, weird, now I read this it seems that I'v heard too some stranges noises during normal use.

I've tried to set the audio buffer to 1024, and subtle clicks seems to disappear, as opposite to my days to day 256 buffer ( except for final mix ).

Just to be more specific, for me it's definitely not 'too small audio buffer' type stuttering. I'd suspect the problem is with RME drivers or the new 64 bit engine, or probably the combination of both. That being said, the drivers are the same, and I've never had this sort of issues with previous versions of Logic, or Pro Tools or Reaper, or any other sound source running on the same computers.

I just happened to notice the red (erroneous/distorted/faulty) bits in the DIGICheck because I run it constantly on a separate monitor, and I have never ever seen anything else than green/blue there, meaning used/unused bits in the statistics section. The manual says the red bits are 'error bits,' or distorted or corrupted audio data. The sound is like subtle parallel bit crushing or truncating is applied every now and then causing quantization distortion in the high frequencies.

And as previously stated, switching back to 32 bit standard precision engine was the solution for me. This was just one those 'I'm I really hearing this, or is it just my imagination' type of problems, but fortunately enough the bit statistics confirmed the situation.

I too noticed occasional (rather rare) audio glitches (some kind of low def digitized echo of a recently played note), occuring on playback or realtime performance of a single piano patch (either from EXS or Kontakt) via internal system audio driver or MH audio driver.

I'll try resetting the bit resolution back to 32 to check if that solves the issue...

Anyone else having problems when trying to flatten a take folder? I have a success rate at something like 10%, have to try it over and over again. Pretty weird.

I'm not sure what you mean. I did it a lot yesterday (using "flatten and merge" on quick-swipped comp takes) and it worked flawlessly (as usual).

I encountered a really strange playback issue yesterday. I upgraded to 10.3 because I thought I didn't have any big projects coming up, so of course I got a request for a recall (oops). Just wondering if anybody else has seen anything this odd in 10.3 yet.

I have an ugly comp (shown in the attached screenshot). The kick hits three times, there's a snare fill, and then another kick (just to orient you to what I'm about to describe). When I play the project from the top, the second kick (at 8.3) does not play. At all. I think it picks up the region after the kick hits. 

BUT, and here's where it gets even weirder, if I start the playback at, say, measure 6 or 7, that region plays normally, but the whole drum group drops out right at measure 10. Just a split-second dropout.

This happens reliably in playback, and can be heard in an online bounce. Offline bounces play all the expected audio.

Any thoughts?

uglycomp.png.aa2a075da08788c3670e53eb0aef652e.png

I fought the good fight but I've had to return to 10.2.4 The Marquee bug(s) are certainly an annoyance but what killed it for me is performance. On the project on which I'm currently mixing, it got to where playback was very glitchy. Keep getting the overload message. On 10.2.4 I'm still getting it but far less frequently.

I have an issue - the whole thing freezes - I still get playback but I get no register on any of the faders and the playhead is static - I opened a ticket with apple and the workaround was "third party plug ins causing the issue" so if I disable my Slate digital and Wave plugins - reboot then re enable - it all goes away for a day or two !!!!?  Any help appreciated

I moved the main logic screen from external monitor, to laptop monitor at the weekend as i was syncing to video, and it went a bit crazy, don't know if it was a bug, temporary glitch or related to having video editing software running - however, dragging regions felt like it was accelerated (Moving way to fast), i couldn't undo using cmd+z, all sorts of crazy things happening.

However, if i resized the window and back again, it was ok.  But it would continually glitch like that every 15-20 minutes or so.

Very rare would i have Logic on the smaller screen, so not a major issue, but there's obviously something i upset somewhere along the line.

My Artist Control surface was acting strange for a while, nothing I ever saw before upgrading to LPX 10.3:

Moving an external MIDI track onscreen fader was actuating (as expected) the Artist Control fader, but reciprocally moving the Artist Control fader would not move the onscreen corresponding (external MIDI track) fader in Logic Pro X.

Oddly enough the problem was only with external MIDI track fader, the other tracks type (audio, software instrument, aux, etc) faders were behaving normally.

The issue was affecting only the Artist Control surface, as the C4 was working fine all the way.

After various attempt to clear the isssue to no avail, I resorted to reboot Logic Pro X which solved the problem, hopefully for good...

I'm not sure what you mean. I did it a lot yesterday (using "flatten and merge" on quick-swipped comp takes) and it worked flawlessly (as usual).

When I click "flatten and merge" nothing happens, so I have to do it over and over again :P I try having different stuff selected when doing the command but nothing seem to matter. Oh well then, not too annoying.

• 3 months later...
Stumbled over a new feature (?) in the Event list editor:

with a magic mouse, swiping left (a finger on the mouse) on a pointed note (or event), make appear a red Delete square button to its right (similar behaviour to what you see on an iPad or iPhone). A wide swipe actually delete the event in one go, without any warning! :shock:

Which calls for extra caution when mousing over the list, especially when one is used to scroll up/down the event list using the magic mouse swipe feature.

Is the Event list editor a feature that people use all the time...? I think I used it less than 10 times in all the 10 years I've been using Logic... :P

Yeah, I use it all the time.  Specifically, when I load/import a standard midi file, it usually contains a bunch of CC events that I don't want or don't apply to the instrument I intend to use.  By opening the event list editor, I can quickly rid myself of all those events - i.e. filter OUT notes, then select all, delete, done.  Doing the same without the event list editor is time consuming.  You have to open the piano roll and the controller lane, select the controller, select all events, delete, (rinse and repeat for each controller having events).

Of course that's a one time deal per song, but still quicker to do via the event list editor.

Is the Event list editor a feature that people use all the time...? I think I used it less than 10 times in all the 10 years I've been using Logic... :P

Yeah, I use it all the time.  Specifically, when I load/import a standard midi file, it usually contains a bunch of CC events that I don't want or don't apply to the instrument I intend to use.  By opening the event list editor, I can quickly rid myself of all those events - i.e. filter OUT notes, then select all, delete, done.  Doing the same without the event list editor is time consuming.  You have to open the piano roll and the controller lane, select the controller, select all events, delete, (rinse and repeat for each controller having events).

Of course that's a one time deal per song, but still quicker to do via the event list editor.

I rarely import midi files and when I do it's just stuff I export myself like from one song to the other or things like that so that feature would not apply to me. I saw one situation where I can use it more often and it's to just check the channel and number of an automation event so I can then use the Step Editor. Other than that, at least until now, it's the only useful situation for me. And I don't use the Step Editor on a regular basis either