Changing stereo output from 1-2

Smash

Yes, this is a known issue.

The only way to enable 1/2 is by Mirroring and that only gives you the option to carry the same signal as the newly assigned Stereo Output.

I really don't know why they have chosen to implement it this way.

You can contact Apple here about this issue:

Feedback - Logic Pro – Apple

One thing that you can do instead is to use the routing in your interface instead. This will let you keep all outputs.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2.4)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X El Capitan 10.11.6)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Unfortunately it has been like that since I can remember. The Stereo Output designation replaces 1-2 in the drop down of a channel strip. Changing the output to something other than 1 and 2 in the I/O section does not shift the stereo output designation and therefore does not provide a way to select 1 and 2 as an output for another purpose if you have changed the main stereo outputs in the I/O section. Therefore changing the main outs to something else results in the loss of use of outputs 1 and 2.  I am not aware of a solutions/workaround for this.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this board, though I've been reading it for a while. I think my question is best posted as a follow up to this thread rather than a new one:

Is what I've read in this thread the reason that I am unable to assign my main stereo output in Logic to a different set of outputs? My main interface is a UA Apollo twin, but as it only has two in/out, I am using an older MOTU Audio Express for a specific 5.1 project. The MOTU has 4 TRS outputs and a SPDIF digital output. Due to how I'm routing things, I'd ideally like to have that SPDIF out, which is connected to the SPDIF input of my PreSonus Monitor Station V2 be the main stereo left right out (in this case, that's output 5-6 on this interface). So I'd like to make the main stereo output 5-6 , and use output 1-2 for the LS, RS, output 3 for the C and 4 for the LFE. I was able to get that all going in Pro Tools, but I don't seem to be able to do it in Logic Pro X 10.3.1 this particular way without either losing the stereo output or doubling something in it. Here's a screenshot:

Logic_I_O_Setup.thumb.jpg.ae534e44a1b81ce2c244fe406a6341fa.jpg

But basically, setup is Stereo Output: Output 5-6 (mirroring off), and Surround, 5.1

Left= Output 5, Center= Output 3 Right= Output 6, LFE= Output 4, L.surround= Output 1, R.surround=Output 2

Am I correct in assuming my issue is related to this thread, and that somehow it is not possible to do this?

Thanks for any info you can provide. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading a good few times in the past to get me out of various scrapes with Logic.

I'm just interested in people's workarounds for this? I'm using an inline console so want to use 1+2 as mic/line ins and tape returns for those specific channels. I want to send the stereo out on some other channels so's not to waste my mic pres. I'm running an antelope orion 32+ interface on DSUB to TRS connectors.

Any ideas? Or do you just have to run Pro Tools? :lol:

Thinking on. There can't be a solution outside of Logic (can there?).

If we are trying to separate individual outputs 1+2 from the stereo outs and Logic keeps them paired regardless of your stereo out selection, how can the interface routing make a difference?

The only way I can think to get round this is to keep 1+2 as the stereo outs but physically connect them to a different input on the console then remap all ins and outputs -2 positions, so 3 becomes routed to physical output 1 etc. Then, in your project, you'd have to route anything you want to go to console channel 1, 2, 3... as output 3, 4, 5... etc. Am I going insane or is the the only way to hear a stereo out signal without losing individual outs 1+2?

That's what I have been doing... I guess the answer is that I would like a consistent way of working and I'm being a little lazy...

I would like to run the stereo out of logic to a stereo in on the console and leave it there. That way, when I'm working ITB I can:

1. always use the same fader to control the stereo out without having to reassign outputs in logic depending on what project I'm working on

2. Reach the fader easily as the stereo ins are closer to the computer than channels 1+2

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

Came across this exact problem when developing an audio interface for my company, Cranborne Audio - I finally found a solution... it may be of help to some of you.

Our 500R8 has a dedicated 'DAW return' path that's allocated to USB outputs 27/28, so I needed to send my 'Stereo Output' from Logic into the DAW return level control that's on the interface itself. 500R8 also has a load of 500 series slots with sends and returns allocated to USB inputs 1-8, and USB outputs 1-8. So I was encountering this age-old problem of not being able to send DAW channels to 500 series slots 1-2 even after I had assigned the I/O assignment to USB output 27/28 in the preferences menu. As an aside, the fact that Logic can't handle this properly is an almighty shame!!

My workaround: I created an Aggregate Device within the Audio MIDI setup and assigned the Built-In I/O of my Macbook pro to the first two inputs/outputs and then assigned my 500R8 audio interface from USB channels two onwards. This essentially shifts up all of 500R8's USB channels upwards by two channels. I set 500R8 as clock master and activated the 'drift correction' on the built-in I/O (shouldn't matter, I'm not planning on using the built-in stuff when my interface is hooked up)

Now I can go into Logic, assign the I/O device as the my new Aggregate Audio interface, and then configure the Output Assignments to send out of USB Channel 29/30 (which now corresponds to my DAW returns on USB channels 27/28 of 500R8). Now the 'part of a stereo output' business that prevented me from using the first two 500 series slots of my audio interface now corresponds with the built-in I/O (which I can just ignore) and I can use USB output 3 onwards to patch audio out of output 1 of my audio interface.

I went into I/O labels and sorted out all of the labelling and its working like a charm. I'm noticing no issues with clocking etc however 500R8 is a core audio compliant device and so may handle the Aggregate device thing nicely compared to other interfaces however I cannot see why this can't work for some of you!

Cheers!

Ells

Yes, this could work, with but two caveats:

1. By shifting everything up two notches, you will likely confuse yourself somewhere down the line (been there, done that, with an unused SPDIF I/O on 9 and 10) when somehow I/O labels in Logic (sometimes they are your edited text, yet sometimes they are the actual unedited I/O numbers), digital I/O, channels in the interface and physical I/O don't line up. This usually happens fifteen minutes before the first note of the gig on a half lit stage when you're stressed out and the drummer asks you where to plugin in his in ears and you guess its 25-26. Or was that 27-28 ? Um, 23-24 ? Sorry buddy, you have to try for yourself. Good luck.

2. Aggregate devices can run smooth. Or not. I've had experiences which gradually went worse in the past up to the point of unusability. YMMV.

Is there a matrix layer in your interface ? Where you can cross-patch digital in 1-2 to 15-16 and vice versa ? This would solve the problem while keeping most numbers intact. MOTU has this in their AVB range of hardware and it's a breeze.

Hi fuzzfilth,

So far, so good for me.

The numbering is off which is a shame however it's quite easy to follow, just add 2! The channel strip's I/O labels follow my custom labels and so that's the most important thing for me. The I/O plug-in does not follow any of my labelling however but that's okay, I'm used to managing "gotcha's" in the live environment when using things like Dante, Rocknet, networkable stageboxes etc so my brain is coping with this so far!

There's no matrix layer on 500R8, it's a Core Audio complaint interface with no software layers A) to improve latency and reduce CPU load (we're running 16 sample buffer size during testing whilst using my large orchestral projects where my Apollo struggled at 1024!) and B) to make it plug-and-play. The 500R8 is an interface with 500 series slots built-in and is designed to be an analogue/digital hybrid device. We have analogue summing/monitoring facilities etc in the analogue domain to negate the need for a software panel.

All of this is not as easy as it should be of course.... I had a play on Cubase and whilst I don't get on with its GUI, the VST connections page - where all this routing stuff is sorted - was a revelation in comparison to what Logic can do!

I'd rather not use an aggregate device however I have a little faith considering one of the device's is the built-in I/O. You'd think it would fare well when slaving off of my interface in comparison to aggregating two external interfaces (which I have had issues with in the past).

Will keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Again - it's not my preference, but its means to an end. Functioning perfectly for me to offset my channel numbering and make output 1-2 available on my interface. The onboard stuff is completely out of the equation - it's slaving off of my preferred clock and I'm not using it in my sessions.

Might be a handy tip for somebody else suffering the same issue - hope it helps with other people's routing headaches.

I use the aggregate device solution. I do not get confused by the fact that "Stereo Out" is the first stereo pair. I have adjusted labels accordingly - Built-in Output (1-2), XR18 (3-21), Dante VSC (22-87)

Input is XR18 (1-18), Dante (19-82)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all, I'm unapologetically resurrecting this ancient thread here because I've watched and read a zillion tutorials and am still having one hiccup: When I select the drop-down menu under I/O assignments, "Output 1-2" is my only option. Every tutorial I've seen shows screenshots where Output 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 and so on are all options, and I can't figure out how to get those to appear.

For context, I am trying to send audio to my computer's built-in output (headphone jack) and my Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface simultaneously. The goal is to be able to play music on Instagram live, sending direct audio to my phone through the headphone jack, while still being able to hear it myself via the interface. I'm not even trying to do a different mix with sends and all; I want the same exact thing going (mirroring?) to two different outputs simultaneously.

(EDIT : This YouTube video saved me; I needed to go into Audio MIDI Setup and create an aggregate device:

)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, resurrecting an old thread yet again... I'm starting to work more OTB and recently got an Orion 32+ gen3 interface which has up to 64 channels of I/O. I am here because I realized pretty quickly that I'm basically unable to use Channels 1-2 as discrete line outs from the interface (in other words, if I want to use 1-2 to send to a compressor or effects rack unit) – because it appears Logic insists on using these for Stereo Out monitoring. When I tried this, it worked sending to my compressor, but the signal was duplicated from the main mix as well, rather than discrete line outs... once I added some sends it started a crazy feedback loop haha >_<

Having read through the above, I understand that Logic has not changed this routing behavior. What is the workaround? What I did so far was use Orion's routing matrix to "cheat" its line outs 1/2 to virtual line outs 61/62, only in the sense I am not likely to use these outputs at any time soon. This works, giving me discrete outputs for line outs 1/2 on my interface, separate from the main monitor L/R outs.

However, it's a bit of a hack and slightly confusing... and also limits my interface tecnically to 62 discrete line outs instead of 64. Not a big deal at this time, but as my studio grows, maybe I'd want to use all 64... In any case, is there a better way to do this?

Edited by wing