How to download an older version of Logic Pro remote for iOS?

Wolverine60

The Logic Remote on my iPad had automatically updated to the latest version.  Now it will no longer connect to Logic Pro because it says that the Logic Pro is an older version and needs to be updated to Logic Pro 10.3.  The problem is, I cannot install Logic Pro 10.3 without first updating the OS to Sierra.  The Apple website says that I cannot update that computer to Sierra because Sierra requires an iMac late 2009 or newer and the iMac I use for music production is an early 2009.

Everything worked fine until the iOS updated the remote.  Is there any way I can download the older version of the remote?  Apple's website says this can be done by launching the App Store and going to purchases and finding the app, but when I did this, my purchases only go back as far as the latest version of the remote and I do not see a way to go back further in the purchases.

I hope someone can help, because I really liked being able to control Logic Pro on an iPad and iPod from my vocal/acoustic recording booth.  I also used it for doing guitar tracks since it is hard to be near the computer keyboard while holding a guitar, but it is really important for doing vocals and acoustic instruments where I am in a different booth.  It is impossible for me to update Lofic Pro anyurther, so I just wish I could go back to the last version of the remote, when it still worked.

I will never set these apps to automatically update again.  I have 2 iPads, an iPod and an iPhone and everyone of them updated to the new remote, otherwise I could have gotten the app from one of the other devises. I check the, all and they all have been updated to a completely unusable version of the remote now.

I recently created a thread about how the newest Logic Remote no longer uses bluetooth. When I describe to the pleasant Apple support person tearing my hair out, he suggested I use iTunes iPad backup to go back to the previous version. I have trained myself to back up weekly and therefore my good intentions turned out to be bad in this case. Apple person said there is no way to revert other than restore an older backup.

John

• 3 months later...

Hi Eric

Just wondering if there was any further advice for those of use in the same position with Logic Remote now not working post update who didn't download via iTunes?  I downloaded it directly from the app store and can't find a 'trash' historic version anywhere.

Thanks

Roddy

• 2 months later...

For the users like myself, who didn't have a backup of the older version and can't/don't want to install Logic 10.3.

Could anyone who has a backup file, share it here? Would that work for the rest of us?

I fail to comprehend why a company would suddenly deprive access to a tool that has become an essential part of many composers' studio rig...

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

A iOS backup could be a way to go (depending on what iOS version you have and whatever version the backup was made under).

There may be another option though.

In the dark ages, iPhones and iPads would back up apps in an IPA (iOS package? I'm guessing!). If you have one of those stashed somewhere, you may be in luck. Unfortunately for others, they're only usable by whoever "bought" them. They have the owner's information embedded in them and are only usable on devices authorized by that specific user.

On my installation, they seem to live under iTunes, iTunes Media, Mobile Applications although in older times, it used to be iTunes, Mobile Applications.

If you have backups hiding out anywhere (Time Machine or otherwise), you might have one somewhere.....

Good Luck.

And yes, it's terrible that Apple doesn't let you download older versions when it's needed and appropriate (like in this case).