Help with 'ratchet sequencing' in Logic X?

deckard1

Hi,

It's hard to explain what 'ratchet sequencing' is...at least for me. The electronic group 'Tangerine Dream' were masters at it. I was just wondering if it was possible to implement this cool effect using plugins native to Logic X? 

Here's a simple description of what ratchet sequencing is...from Sweetwater's website. The source of the quote is below as well. 

"Let’s say you’ve set up your step sequencer to the tempo and the note division that you want. However as your song progresses, you find you want to add trills and note flurries that are shorter than the chosen division, yet you don’t want to adjust the clock speed or note division. Making this sort of “subdivision” adjustment is called “ratcheting” and is a well-known trick in classic electronic music. It used to be you needed to wire the CV gate outputs to multiple sequencers. But these days, many DAWs, such as Ableton Live and Propellerhead Reason have note-repeat MIDI plugins. These functions let you achieve ratcheting-style effects by repeating finer note values than the default value of the sequencer with every trigger."

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/how-to-ratchet-notes-in-a-step-sequencer/

Here's a song sample from Tangerine Dream exhibiting ratchet sequencing:

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
I just came upon the "note repeat" function (different from the note repeat midi fx) in a youtube tutorial. Check out "note repeat" in key commands. You can use your mod wheel to create the note repeat value, and then it writes each repeated note as midi. Not sure if this will serve the same purpose as the ratcheting you're looking for, but I found it quite helpful for creating trap-style hi hat loops.