LPX 10.3 input monitoring crackling caused by graphics

GrabtharsHammer
Go to solution Solved by GrabtharsHammer,

I am having some bad performance issues with Logic Pro X on my Retina 4K iMac late 2015 (3,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD drive, RME Babyface Pro USB audio interface). MacOS Sierra, Logic Pro X, AU plugins and RME drivers are all updated to their newest versions.

As soon as I engage input monitoring on an audio track I am getting bad crackles and pops during playback and recording. I checked all the audio preferences. A buffer size of 128 is absolutely unusable, with 256 it gets a little better. I have an AU guitar amp simulation (Mercuriall's Spark or Kazrog's Thermionik) on that channel but never ran into problems with this before. As far as I am aware that problem didn't exist before LPX 10.3. 

I suspect that this is a graphics problem because when I scroll up and down within the srranhe area (or it gets moved to the right during playpack) the crackling gets really bad. When I zoom in all existing regions so that the entire project fits into the arrange area (this way there is no scrolling while playback/recording), I am not getting any crackles. 

The only solution I could come up with so far is to open Logic in low resolution mode. That seems to solve the audio problem, but it looks like ****. And I assume with a system like mine there should normally not be any performance problems at all?!

Any ideas?

Edited by GrabtharsHammer

The amp sim is not the problem. 

1. I didn't have this problem before LPX 10.3

2. I already tried other amp sims - same problem. 

I just uploaded a short screen capture video in youtube (sorry, without sound, it’s just a screen capture video made with quicktime) that demonstrates the issue. The CPU meter is spiking heavily every time I click into the tracks area or scroll vertically/horizontally. The CPU spikes cause terrible audio crackling and pops. 

" rel="external nofollow">https://youtu.be/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207528

THAT is totally weird. I never thought a color profile could influence Logic's performance. A user on the official Logic forum hinted at that article. I tested it and indeed the performance got slightly better with the sRGB profile. Audio glitches are still there, but not as bad as with the default iMac color profile or the one I profiled with ColorMunki.

For those with the crackle problem - do you have it when feeding a sidechain into a comp? This was so weird I didn't even try to troubleshoot it. I tried using a sidechain to duck the bass with the kick. It worked when solo'd, and turned into a crackle party when playing the whole song. It did this with ANY plugin, Apple's or third party.

• Solution

In the meantime I collected some more information about the issue. Cubase users seem to get plagued by quite similar issues lately so it might be presumed that Sierra introduced or aggravated some unwanted interaction between screen repaints and the audio subsystem which can result in CPU spikes and audio glitches. This would also explain why users with Retina display and internal GPU are affected more severely and/or often than others. So far two ways have been found to improve the performance and reduce (but not eliminate) the spikes and glitches: 

1. Open Logic in low resolution mode (right-click on the Logic Pro X app in Finder => get information => open in low resulotion mode). Doesn't look that pretty but improves the performance significantly. 

2. Change the Mac's color profile from the default one to sRGB

Everyone who is experiencing the same or a similar problem, please report this to Apple, too: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I have been contacted by an employee of Apple's audio team who requested some more information. So I hope they are already taking care of this. But I guess, the more people report that issue and send them further information, the better. Thanks for your help! 

Also a user on the Gearslutz forum wrote a very interesting post about this from a programmer's perspective: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12478142-post59.html

hi GrabtharsHammer,

I have a similar problem with my retina-imac, Logic 10.3.1 and Sierra.

As soon as I scroll thru the arrangement, I have tons of crackles and glitches and the timing of the Song is gone.

Strange: with some Songs, I don't have the problem til I put in for example a new exs-instance and than the problem is back.

When I put this exs-instance away, the problem is gone. really strange!

I'll report this to apple...

Best, Kai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I don't know if the underlying issues were completely solved - the last thread in the CPU meter still gets a little nervous sometimes when clicking and scrolling in the main window - but the audio crackles and glitches have been noticeably reduced. Thanks to Logic's developers for taking care of this with the release of 10.3.2! I consider this solved.

The spikes and crackles while scrolling are gone, thats great!

But I still have crackles when I click with the mouse in the Arrangement and when I edit Tracks.

Anyone else has the same problem ?

Yes, the audio glitches while scrolling are gone. But clicking in the arrange area still generates last thread spikes on the CPU meter - although not as bad as before 10.3.2. 

• 4 months later...