BUG 10.3.1 -Piano roll incorrectly updating region view with catch off.

Raddler

I've done quite a bit of research on this and I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated. I'm not quite understanding the new behaviour of the playhead in the PR when a region is selected in the arrange ( logic X 10.3.1 ). Here's an example.

1) I start a fresh empty project and create a software instrument track. 

2) I create a 1 bar region and loop it over 8 bars with "cycle on" selected.

3) I create a melody in that 1 bar region.

4) I zoom the piano roll to only display that 1 bar region.

Now when i hit play, the region in the piano roll does not move with the playhead, Perfect! However as the playhead approaches let's say bar 5 and I click on the region in the arrange, the piano roll now updates to bar 5 in the 8 bar loop ( revealing in view the un -editable shaded loop). I don't want this, I would like to always have the 1 bar region in view on the fly so as I can make edits to it on the fly. In logic 9, with catch off, the piano roll never updated to the playhead position when a region was selected in the arrange. Why is this and how can I correct this behaviour? 

With regards to my settings, catch is off in both arrange and PR, link is on in PR and in PR VIEW, I have "selected regions" clicked.

Here is 2 screenshots, the first is when I hit play and the second is when I click on the region again while the playhead advances near bar 5-6. Thanks

73676202_ScreenShot2017-02-26at3_36_51AM.thumb.png.39bb1081e7838ff9ae6c7154bf0ab067.png

1400937142_ScreenShot2017-02-26at3_36_45AM.thumb.png.9931358b781896fc8b2012331c3463a4.png

Edited by Raddler

works here.

go to "preference /catch" and look if you changed something there

I have not changed anything in the preferences, the catch settings are all deselected, as is the catch settings in the PR and arrange. So you are saying that you tried doing exactly what I did in my example? And you did not notice the PR region updating to the playhead when clicking on the arrange region during playback? What version of logic are you using?

Is there anyone else who could test out my example? I'm questioning now wether it's a bug. Thanks

I’m running 10.3.1 and tried your example.

I ran into the same situation you did also.

However, I was able to get it to stay in the 1st measure by doing this........

In the piano roll screen, Right click on the play head catch button and you will see that one or all three of the check marks are enabled.

ReCheck (essentially disabling each one) until nothing is checked.

Now, when you hit play it should stay in the 1st measure, or at least, it does that for me here.

BTW, you can even plug in some new notes as it's cycling and get an instant response.

It's like having your own step sequencer live.

Probably very handy for percussion tracks too !!!!

I’m running 10.3.1 and tried your example.

I ran into the same situation you did also.

However, I was able to get it to stay in the 1st measure by doing this........

In the piano roll screen, Right click on the play head catch button and you will see that one or all three of the check marks are enabled.

ReCheck (essentially disabling each one) until nothing is checked.

Now, when you hit play it should stay in the 1st measure, or at least, it does that for me here.

BTW, you can even plug in some new notes as it's cycling and get an instant response.

It's like having your own step sequencer live.

Probably very handy for percussion tracks too !!!!

Interesting. I have the catch playhead settings boxes in the PR all unchecked as well, still getting the bug however. When you say that the first measure doesn't move on playback, are you re-clicking on the region in the arrange during playback? Try clicking the arrange region as the playhead moves through let's say bar 5 and see then if the piano roll remains at measure 1. That's when you will perhaps see the bug. If the region is not clicked, the first measure doesn't move, I agree, but that's not workable.

When you say that the first measure doesn't move on playback, are you re-clicking on the region in the arrange during playback?”

No, I didn’t try clicking anything as I was having too much fun staying there in measure one adjusting and adding different notes. But…

A) When I did click on -THE HEADER- of track in the arrange, during play, I got yet another unexpected situation where first, the pointer icon automatically turned into the repeat measure symbol and redefined the end of the repeat area, essentially cutting off the end of my cycle repeat, at where I clicked !!! AND I ended up in that uneditible zone too.

B) When I clicked BELOW the header, during play, (where the midi notes are), nothing happened, and the view of the 1st measure was stable.

So, if your goal is to do some editing in the 1st bar while the track is playing, why are you clicking in other areas ? 

Why not just stay there and get it done ?

You said, “so I can make edits to it on the fly”

Your “flying” in 1 measure of music.

There’s nothing else here, really, except 1 bar of music.

What edits do you mean ? Edit something else ?

You can’t edit 2 different areas at the same time anyway, as far as I know.

What is the main goal ? 

Your focus is on that 1st measure, and that one track.

Perhaps a bit buggy with it chopping off the repeat area, like I get here, and YES, even with the chopping off of the repeat area, I too ended up in “the un -editable shaded loop” area, which does seem a bit inconsistent.

Report it, perhaps the code should be cleaned up at the very least.

Catch playhead OFF, should be Catch playhead OFF.

There were many catch playhead bugs over the years and it is one of those finicky things for the Apple coders, I am sure.

I never had Logic 9 myself, so perhaps that’s the solution for you.

There are still many LP users here, still on 9, for all sorts of reasons.

Not sure of what other help you need here? 

And, I hope you get some satisfaction with this.

When you say that the first measure doesn't move on playback, are you re-clicking on the region in the arrange during playback?”

No, I didn’t try clicking anything as I was having too much fun staying there in measure one adjusting and adding different notes. But…

A) When I did click on -THE HEADER- of track in the arrange, during play, I got yet another unexpected situation where first, the pointer icon automatically turned into the repeat measure symbol and redefined the end of the repeat area, essentially cutting off the end of my cycle repeat, at where I clicked !!! AND I ended up in that uneditible zone too.

B) When I clicked BELOW the header, during play, (where the midi notes are), nothing happened, and the view of the 1st measure was stable.

So, if your goal is to do some editing in the 1st bar while the track is playing, why are you clicking in other areas ? 

Why not just stay there and get it done ?

You said, “so I can make edits to it on the fly”

Your “flying” in 1 measure of music.

There’s nothing else here, really, except 1 bar of music.

What edits do you mean ? Edit something else ?

You can’t edit 2 different areas at the same time anyway, as far as I know.

What is the main goal ? 

Your focus is on that 1st measure, and that one track.

Perhaps a bit buggy with it chopping off the repeat area, like I get here, and YES, even with the chopping off of the repeat area, I too ended up in “the un -editable shaded loop” area, which does seem a bit inconsistent.

Report it, perhaps the code should be cleaned up at the very least.

Catch playhead OFF, should be Catch playhead OFF.

There were many catch playhead bugs over the years and it is one of those finicky things for the Apple coders, I am sure.

I never had Logic 9 myself, so perhaps that’s the solution for you.

There are still many LP users here, still on 9, for all sorts of reasons.

Not sure of what other help you need here? 

And, I hope you get some satisfaction with this.

Not quite sure you are understanding what I was getting at. Here's why it's an issue. 

Let's keep it simple and assume I have 3 software instrument tracks. They each have a 1 bar region looped over 8 bars. So let's say I select track 1 and click on the region to edit it, thus revealing bar 1 in the PR ( PR zoomed to 1 bar). Great! Now I hit play. Without doing anything, I can start to edit (paint notes) in that 1 bar PR loop, as you had mentioned you did. 

Here's where the problem arises.....Let's say now I would like to edit track 3's region on the fly, well I'd go and select track 3 and click on the midi region to reveal it in the PR, but with this bug, it will not reveal track 3's midi region editable zone ( bar 1), it will simply reveal as to where the playhead position is, so basically i'm stairing at a shaded zone until the playhead comes back to bar 1. To fix this, I need to hit stop and bring the playhead back to 0 to start again from bar 1 (editable zone) or another solution is to completely zoom in to 8 bars in the PR so as the PR is "motionless", but then bar 1 becomes much to small to edit. Hopefully that makes sense. I'd upload a video, but i'm back on 10.3.0 which doesn't have the issue. 

OK, I think I am with you in this new example which could include a couple more tracks or even any number of tracks for that matter. I set up some additional tracks here too and did some exploring. A handy work flow indeed, if it would only behave.

The thing is, Logic is playing, and when you click to another track it will keep right on playing.

It seems that it will try to “keep it’s place” in the beat/song and updates the new track selection with the current beat/song / (measure) position. That kind of seems logical, in a way, for it to do that, and I know that’s not what you want, nor would I in this case. We had Catch Play Head OFF and it moves again.

As a possible work-around . . .  when I find myself in the repeat zone, it’s a quick right to left swipe on my Apple Magic Mouse and I am back in measure one, ready to edit OR just hit Return to restart play and be back in measure one that way.

If you find that being back in 10.3.0 makes it work how you want, and it worked that way before the update,  but something has changed with 10.3.1, then you should file a report because it should be the same as it was.

They usually like an example file and a clear explanation of what you have found.

If I am not mistaken, it’s even possible to call Apple, and ask to speak with a Logic Pro person.

I don’t have the number but I am sure someone here has the link for a report handy.

I wish I could have been of more help, and Good Luck.

• 11 months later...
hi all,

has anyone worked out why this is happening or have a fix for this, it's been driving me and other artists/producers I know crazy since 10.3.1. I was hoping if it was a bug it would be sorted by now but still have this issue on 10.4

Glad I'm not alone dealing with this ever so frustrating bug that just can't seem to get fixed after 3 updates. I am still experiencing it with 10.4. I've started multiple threads about it and even sent the logic team bug reports/feedback about it. No change. Still waiting. Very annoying.

• 1 year later...

This is still an issue in 10.4.4 - as long as I understand the bug you're referring to..

For me, when working in the piano roll, I working on individual drum or other regions over the length of the song.

NOw I HATE the catch options and they're all off but when editing, catch will suddenly enables itself during playback when I maybe use a key command or select a note (cycle on or off).

It's so frustrating and intermittent so I lose my place in the piano roll and need to find that individual not again.

It's ridiculous, I can see the catch icon just light up out of the blue by doing nothing. I just want to remove the entire feature from logic, any ideas?

Every update adds new issues, like the pointed sometimes goes squigly and I have to shake it to come right. When copying a note in a region to another location, the region will extend even if I haven't placed it outside the region borders..

I wish they would do a "Snow Leopard" version of Logic where they spend a year just fixing bugs..

Starting to learn Ableton and if that goes well, I will shift, just sick of update after update Logic team breaking fundamental functions

Sure their bug lists fixes look great but never deals with the bugs I encounter!

• 3 months later...

They finally fixed it in 10.4.5 i nearly sh@t myself when i went through my usual testing. If it not updating correctly just check each individual midi block catch setting for some reason it's not universal across the project. I hope you guys can replicate it where you are but so far so goo for me.

Also massive improvements in GUI lag on big projects opening mixer window, changing tracks etc.

I hope the changes stick and it doesn't fall apart in an hour or so. :P

someone needs to have a chat to the person who develops the logic catch feature - they honestly can't get it right!

the issue where catch would automatically enable when clicking in the piano roll (notes or background) has been fixed however now it's not possible to enable catch when the session is playing and the plyhead is out of view - though i personally don't care about this bug because I don't use catch other than to shift the view once in a while