Any way to turn regions into midi notes?

TequilaKez

A college often sends me tracks to work on that have all drums parts as audio regions (1 region per hit) and I usually like to replace a lot of them with EXS24 or rompers to have access to my go-to stuff and take advantage of multisample variations and ADSR envelopes etc.

In the past I've bounced the entires tracks as audio, and then used Audio to Midi, and now that process has been replaced by 'Replace or Edit Drum Track'.

Problem with both those methods is that it uses transients to detect note positions and that can be problematic.

On the other hand 'Convert to Sampler Track' set to Regions does exactly what I want, except that it creates a different zone/note for every hit so in the case of a 16th hihat pattern, it runs out of notes very quickly. As well as being an inefficient use of the sampler, it makes it difficult for romplers where usually e.g you'd want all  those notes to be one particular note.