Very slow bouncing

barrylane

I have a set of tracks and I am bouncing them as MP3's to a directory on an external drive, with plenty of space on it.

I am pretty sure that up to a few weeks ago, a 3 or 4 minute track would bounce and be converted to MP3 in about 1 or 2m max.  I am bouncing offline.

The 3 or 4m tracks are currently taking about the same time as the actual length of the track, even though I am not bouncing in real time.  I am bouncing offline.

Is it possible for the real time mode to get 'stuck' on somehow?  Am I missing a default.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.  Bouncing tracks used to be a pretty quick process, now it is very long. 

Barry

An offline bounce of a 4 minute song with a simple EQ is done in 10 seconds on my machine here.

I made the experience that a certain combination of plugins in a row can cause a huge amount of processing. Usually a whole song with a lot of plugins is done offline in half of the time but f.ex. with an LL16 Limiter in the master it can be really slow though. In your case it should be project dependent. Another song should be quicker.

thanks again for your thoughts and help.

I guess the only way to test this would be to run the bounce without plugins, and see if that restores the speed, I suspect you are right.  It might also be a particular plugin, or as you suggest a 'sequence' of plugins  Waves plugins are not usually that heavy CPU wise, but let's see.

I'll post results here.

thanks again

Hi

The problem becomes curiouser .... diabling the plugin on one of the tracks made no difference, or deletng them.  The track which is listed in Finder as 5.4mb - when I drop it into Toast for burning, it seems to take up 78mb?  It is 8m 56s long?   Another track listed as 9.6mb pushes the 'total in toast up to 219mb.  The song is listed as 15m 58s

I can't work out why the discrepancy?

Is there some other content which is not read by Finder, but is read by LP and Toast?

This might be the reason it is taking so long to burn?

When I cut and paste these two song snippets, I was asked if I wanted to 'move automation', which it doesn't usually ask me?

Barry

barry

Hi again

Just tested out bouncing a track with the same 3 plugins on another song, and it bounced 1m 28s in about 15s.

There seems to be something about the 'content' in this first set which is adding a huge size/load to the file?

Is it something to do with 'copying automation' when I copy and pasted?

Barry

• 4 years later...

I have similar issues, incredibly slow bounce times ! Even when it's only to MP3. Let me know if you have any info on this. This is a fairly new phenomenon, wasn't the case few days ago. Plug in chain hasn't changed...

xxx