Frontier Design Alphatrack not working on OS 10.12.3 / Logic 10.3.1

turbofoda

Hi Folks,

since I had to update to OS Sierra to get Logic 10.3.1 my Alphatrack is not responding,

I tried to manually restore the elements from a time machine backup, but this doesn't work at all. Alphatrack appears in the setup menu, but since it's not even recognized in the AudioMidi setup, nothing works. I erased the Logic preferences, .... nothing not even the Alphatrack manager recognizes the hardware..

any help ???????

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I have alpha track running on Sierra and here is what to do (found all info on web): Alphatrack on Sierra

UPDATE: woohoo - got it working with Logic 10.3.1 and OSX 10.11.x thanks to a generous user on another forum. Copied & edited the pertinent bits here:

Disable SIP by restarting your Mac, holding down Command + R to boot from the Restore volume. When booted, go the the Utilities menu up at the top and choose Terminal. Type in the following:

csrutil disable; reboot

Your Mac will reboot itself and SIP will be off.

Download the following archive: http://motunation.com/files/AlphaTrack_OSX10.11.1_Installation.zip

This archive when expanded should be self explanatory. It has all the necessary files for AlphaTrack and shows where to copy them. It also contains what you'll need including an app called Kext Utility. (See: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Kext-Utility.shtml

You can't just copy the actual .kext file. Use the Kext Utility app to install the kext file so that the system will load it properly. Launch Kext Utility and drag the file, FrontierDesignAlphaTrack.kext onto its window and it will install. Wait till it is finished and then quit the app. On reboot, the AlphaTrack should work.

Keep in mind, this is dependent on also having the 64-bit compatible control surface bundle for Logic:

https://www.frontierdesign.com/download/plugin/AlphaTrack/AlphaTrack_Logic_1.3.zipm - see their documentation about where to put that bundle.

This worked for me. However, given the litigious nature of society these days, I must warn you to backup first and I can take no responsibility if it doesn't work right for you, etc. - do this at your own risk.

• 1 month later...

Thanks a million for sharing this @Roofe and for giving step-by-step instrcutions and the download links too.!! It worked exactly as described for me. I was a litle nervous about using Terminal but the instructions are very clear and it was easy.

I had given up on using the Alphatrack, found no solution anyhere until now. Great to have a real fader again, no more mouse mixing!

If you would like to name a charity of your choice I'd be glad to make a donation. Thanks again and if you ever come to Cologne in Germany I'd like to at least buy you a beer!!

Gratefully

RR

..so sweet to have that litle "clunk" again as the fader moves into position when opening a song 3> LOL

• 1 month later...
Thanks a million for sharing this @Roofe and for giving step-by-step instrcutions and the download links too.!! It worked exactly as described for me. I was a litle nervous about using Terminal but the instructions are very clear and it was easy.

I had given up on using the Alphatrack, found no solution anyhere until now. Great to have a real fader again, no more mouse mixing!

If you would like to name a charity of your choice I'd be glad to make a donation. Thanks again and if you ever come to Cologne in Germany I'd like to at least buy you a beer!!

Gratefully

RR

..so sweet to have that litle "clunk" again as the fader moves into position when opening a song 3> LOL

Heheeee, thanks a lot :) I'm glad to help! :)

The Synclavier updates work. Just get those. The developer that did those updates used to work at Frontier and he basically updated both the Alphatrack and Tranzport drivers for MOTU digital performer 64bit control surface compatibility at the request of various users at motunation that contacted him somehow. While he was at it he also rebuilt signed versions of the basic Tranzport and AlphaTrack drivers. So the installer, which was kind of designed for DP, also updates stuff that helps Logic users

not sure what you downloaded from motunation. Since you were using the kext utility its possible that Synclavier only needed to build a "signed" version of the alphatrack driver and you're going around that by using kext tool to install an unsigned version of it. Which is all fine... But the the one from synclavier is signed and just works.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just forked over $35 for the Synclavier drivers and unfortunately they do nothing for Logic Pro X 10.4.1 on High Sierra 10.13.4 . . . I get a notice that the software is not compatible with the OS, contact the developer, etc. and then it does not show up in Logic at all as an option under Control Surfaces/Setup. Bummed . . .

Those drivers are for digital performer, but include stuff that should enable logIc too. I don’t know why it won’t run on high Sierra but that is why you don’t see it, it’s not installing anything. You can inspect the package to find out what it does and probably do it manually

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I've been lurking on this thread for ages seeing if anyone had a fix for my issue with Alphatrack not working on Logic Pro X 10.4.1 on Sierra.

I bought the synclavier drivers which worked for me on 10.3.x fine. When I updated to 10.4.0 the alphatrack stopped working but I managed to get it working again and didn't think more of it.

I have been trying for ages to get it working after the update to 10.4.1 broke it again and wanted to share what worked for me yesterday!!!

I used the synclavier installer as normal, copied the AlphaTrack.bundle as described by markalex49 above. Alphatrack wouldn't show up in control surfaces, not even in italics.

I could just about install it in HUI mode so figured the driver was working.

The issue was that after copying the AlphaTrack.bundle into the LPX /Contents/Plugins/MIDI Device Plug-ins folder it had incorrect permissions.

The fix is to Ctrl-click or right click on the LPX /Contents/Plugins/MIDI Device Plug-ins folder, Get Info on the folder, click on the gear icon and choose Apply to enclosed items. This will set the owner and group for the AlphaTrack.bundle to system and admin.

Alphatrack then appeared in the control surfaces list (not in italics) and was instantly recognised again by logic when plugged back in :)

I hope this helps someone else out there like me who loves the Alphatrack functionality and form factor!

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...
My two cents. Would love to resurrect my AlphaTrack so I found this great thread! Bought the Synclavier drivers. Installed, nothing works. Saw Jim's post above today and got a glimpse of hope but nope! Nothing. Actually, there is no "AlphaTrack.bundle into the LPX /Contents/Plugins/MIDI Device Plug-ins" folder. And when I try to scan for the device and it does not find it Logic has a list of devices to be added manually and the AlphaTrack is not even available (Tranzport is, however!). Anyways, this whole thing has been such a bummer!!!

That is a bummer. I'm still on Sierra. You should ask for your $ back, or ask if there'll be an update for H.S.

Indeed I did. And Cameron was simply great about it and issued the refund immediately!! No plans for any sort of an update though (or doing a Logic driver. SO bummed about this whole thing. I'll gladly rebuy the drivers if this thing works again!!!