Files Disappearing!

carryonsteve

I'm trying to export all of my tracks as audio files in Logic, but for some reason whenever I have "Include Volume/Pan Automation" turned on most of the exported files dissapear after done being exported. During the exporting process all of the tracks are created and can be seen in Finder, it's only when it finishes that they disappear. The files that are left appear to be only audio tracks from the project.  I have no problems however when I don't include volume/pan automation. Any help would be appreciated! 

They disappear how? You see them in Finder, and then you see them disappear from Finder? And where are they? In the trash? If they are not in the trash, then the files were probably never made, or never finished, so then Finder deletes the temporary icons it has made. Also, you say "most" disappear. Which ones do not disappear? What do they have in common? And have you tried singling one (that disappears) out, to observe what exactly happens? Do you get any message or info window after this?

Yes I'll watch the Finder window and they will literally disappear from the folder they're being saved to as soon as it's done. There are no errors or messages after it completes and they're not going to the trash. I need to double check but the files that remain appear to be only audio tracks from the project, and no midi tracks. I haven't tried singling out any yet but I will try that. It's just weird that everything works fine when I don't include volume automation.

...you could be missing something in your automation lane. If logic does the bounce and it doesn't detect audio it will ignore the export. If you are trying this with a bus that is processing automation on source tracks and the bus sometimes in my exp logic can be picky. I typically bounce all tracks to stems first and then export. If I were you I'd do an individual track bounce to test first.

I did individual bounces and came out with weird results. With volume/pan automation turned on,  all audio tracks and many of the midi tracks bounced fine. For example a cello section and other strings in Kontakt bounced fine as well as drums from EZ Drummer and Ultrabeat. What didn't bounce was a piano in Kontakt and a bass in alchemy as well as various synths and pads from Logic's stock synth plugins. I turned off automation for any of the tracks that didn't bounce and that still didn't do anything, so it has nothing to do with whether or not they have any actual automation on them. 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

OK… on my fourth try, I turned off Include Vol/Pan Auto, and I chose One File per Channel Strip. This appears to have given me everything I was expecting – and a bit more: Stacked instruments yielded individual audio plus the stack (combined) audio.

As for that option re: multi-output instruments, I am using a few instances of EXS24 but I'm not actually using additional outs in any of them, just the mains.

Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Did any of you ever find a fix for this?! I just upgraded my system to a new iMac Pro - and it still happens?!

The work arounds I have figured out are:

Save session when ready to export

Quit session

Relaunch Finder

Re-open session, and make sure not to make ANY changes

Export All Tracks as Audio Files (check the volume/pan box etc)

All works fine, as it should.

Also seems to work just rebooting Core audio - i.e:

When ready to export session, go to Logic / Prefs / Audio, and uncheck then re-check the core audio box.

Click Apply changes, core audio reboots and your plugins reload - then export works as it should.

Glad I figured out these workarounds, but would much rather it worked right!

This is somehow all to do with the checking the Volume/Pan box when exporting tracks - it always works fine without that checked, but that's never the option I need sadly.

Anyone managed to get to the bottom of all this and fix it?!

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hey Marcus -

Still an issue for me - so I just as a matter of course use the workaround above with rebooting core audio (I never quit session and relaunch finder now, just reboot Core audio within Logic). This works every time - and whilst it's a little annoying, I'm now just used to it!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

what OS? and where are you bouncing to? (internal drive, external...)

they don't technically 'disappear'; they show in the process of being saved, then that process, for some reason, fails (and the file is, logically, not retained).

hope you get it sorted. will keep an eye on this thread (am curious about why this happens).

4 minutes ago, fisherking said:

what OS? and where are you bouncing to? (internal drive, external...)

they don't technically 'disappear'; they show in the process of being saved, then that process, for some reason, fails (and the file is, logically, not retained).

hope you get it sorted. will keep an eye on this thread (am curious about why this happens).

Either way (internal or external) is the same.

They show up while bouncing yes, but then disappear. The same way a stem will show up while bouncing and dissappear if there is in fact no audio in it. So it's almost as if it thinks there's no audio, or that a plugin or something is make it not work.

4 minutes ago, Stoobysnax said:

Either way (internal or external) is the same.

They show up while bouncing yes, but then disappear. The same way a stem will show up while bouncing and dissappear if there is in fact no audio in it. So it's almost as if it thinks there's no audio, or that a plugin or something is make it not work.

right, so the file starts to save, but fails at the end. anyway, hopefully others here will have some ideas...

you could try extending the entire project by a measure, ie give the bounces a little 'breathing room' at the end (but this is just a random idea off the top of my head).

good luck!

1 minute ago, fisherking said:

right, so the file starts to save, but fails at the end. anyway, hopefully others here will have some ideas...

you could try extending the entire project by a measure, ie give the bounces a little 'breathing room' at the end (but this is just a random idea off the top of my head).

good luck!

I may try that, or adding audio at the start / end to see if that helps

JUST figured it out, or at least one big complement of it.

Noticed all the offending "missing stems" had Sampler instruments (like, logics Sampler) inside them triggering midi.

When I BIP those tracks to audio, with all the same routing in tact, the stems show up again.

Soooo weird.

• Like 3

More info for anyone who's having missing stems issues... I think I figured it out (and reported to Logic)

Seems like, if you have a Summing Stack with software instruments inside, and the output of that stack to Output 1/2, and you select and export that track, all good. IF the output of that summing stack goes to another bus, and you select that 2nd bus only (despite the fact that when soloing that 2nd bus, you hear the audio running through perfectly)… you get no audio / no files. If you select BOTH the main summing stack, AND the secondary bus that it’s sending to, and export BOTH, both files show up just fine.. Which to me is a bug in which Logic thinks, if you’ve only selected the final one, that the first one isn’t playing on export or something, and so no audio is coming through… Make sense?

This is not an issue with summing stacks with audio tracks inside... They still come through if you only select and export the 2nd bus.

Edited by Stoobysnax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoobysnax said:

More info for anyone who's having missing stems issues... I think I figured it out (and reported to Logic)

Seems like, if you have a Summing Stack with software instruments inside, and the output of that stack to Output 1/2, and you select and export that track, all good. IF the output of that summing stack goes to another bus, and you select that 2nd bus only (despite the fact that when soloing that 2nd bus, you hear the audio running through perfectly)… you get no audio / no files. If you select BOTH the main summing stack, AND the secondary bus that it’s sending to, and export BOTH, both files show up just fine.. Which to me is a bug in which Logic thinks, if you’ve only selected the final one, that the first one isn’t playing on export or something, and so no audio is coming through… Make sense?

This is not an issue with summing stacks with audio tracks inside... They still come through if you only select and export the 2nd bus.

Hey thanx Snoobysnax for sharing your solution and experience!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I may have hit a similar bug. I've been working on a film score for a year and finally exported everything to the picture. I now have the exported Video, but the logic project I did the work in is gone!

I'm running Monterey 12.2.1 and Logic Pro 10.7.4. This was a recent upgrade and a new computer.

I've checked my external and internal drives, and run data recovery in case I deleted it. I recovered tons of Logic Files, but not the one in question. What's even weirder is that, if I right click on logic in my dock, I can see the logic file in question, but clicking on it does nothing. 

I don't have it on my recents tab because I've run various other projects.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever find a fix to this? I have this same problem with just audio tracks, no instrument plugins. I've tried everything that I could find in the forums and that I could think of..no bueno!

Help me, Help me please!

running logic 10.8.1 Sonoma 14.1.2