Is it possible that Logic support 32 bit audio samples in future?

itssofly

Is it possible that Logic support 32 bit audio samples in future? Because I use the logic Library (All Browser) and Logic doesn't play 32 bit audio it's annoying.

If I convert my 32 Audio samples to 24 it means more samples on my disk. and have the samples double now in 2 versions. So I lose more disk space then....

Edited by itssofly

Your audio interface doesn't use 32 bits when it converts digital information over to analogue to feed your speakers, just 24 bits.

So the benefit of 32 bit files is not present in your playback hardware.

It's like having a Ferrari and only being able to get to the supermarket in suburb streets.

Is that clearer?

Your audio interface doesn't use 32 bits when it converts digital information over to analogue to feed your speakers, just 24 bits.

So the benefit of 32 bit files is not present in your playback hardware.

It's like having a Ferrari and only being able to get to the supermarket in suburb streets.

Is that clearer?

Yes it helps thank you! 

When I do the same in Ableton, I can play and hear the audio sample in the Ableton browser. When dragging a 32 bit sample in Ableton there is no converting/creating a second 24 bit sample. Does Ableton and other DAWS have an dynamic DA convertor or something behind while playback? I think you also want the sample with the best/most audio information for mixing. To convert a sample from 32 to 24 you should think you lose somewhere audio information?

But more and more software allows for the creation of 32bfp files. The result is that there are some 32bfp audio files out there, and Logic can't read them, so you have to convert them before you can use them in Logic.

I do believe that 32bfp audio file support is going to end up in Logic at some point.

Do you mean that Logic will never fix this? You should think that there will come more 32 bits samples cause you should think that 32 bits samples contains/sign up more audio information than a 24 bit.

Does Ableton and other DAWS have an dynamic DA convertor or something behind while playback? I think you also want the sample with the best/most audio information for mixing. To convert a sample from 32 to 24 you should think you lose somewhere audio information?

I don't think you understand me.

One thing is the DAW, like Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, etc. That is purely digital. No analogue component. No digital to analogue conversion.

The other thing I'm talking about is the audio interface that you use to record your guitar, the mic you use and the speakers that are connected to it.

If you're using built-in in Logic then it's the internal audio interface of your mac.

This hardware is the one that converts the analogue signal of your guitar cable to digital and then back to analogue to feed your speaker, hence ADA conversion.

All these hardware audio interfaces don't reproduce sound at 32 bits, yet. Only 24 bits. So the benefit of 32 bit files is not reproduced yet with the hardware.

Hope that is clear now?

I think Logic's freeze files are stored in 32 bit float format.  I suspect they are in the project folder, but I've never tried copying them out and importing them into another DAW.  But there are different 32 bit floating point file formats, so it's not necessarily a good file interchange format between DAW programs.  And floating point files are not a delivery format; they are an internal mathematical representation of the audio that will ultimately be converted to a fixed point representation (8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit)) - in order to be heard.  Most mastering houses would expect 24 bit (fixed point) audio files.  Some audio programs can't open 32 bit float files at all.  The conversion between 32 bit float and 24 bit fixed inside of Logic (or any other DAW) should not be an issue; the quality of your A/D and D/A converters (followed by the rest of your system) are certainly the more important/weaker links in the chain.   The rule of thumb is that you get about ~6dB dynamic range per bit.  Now granted depending upon your recording levels you might not be using all the available dynamic range, but 24 X 6 = ~144 dB theoretically.  That's above the S/N (signal tp noise) spec of your converters/preamp/amplifiers.  So there's no real economic incentive to build D/A converters that *output* more than 24 bit fixed audio data.  So 24 bit fixed point audio files should be more than adequate to save audio (assuming the mix was done at a good/high enough levels).