"Save as" without copying assets, is it possible?

john_job
Go to solution Solved by stardustmedia,

Hi there,

Within Logic Pro X 10.3.1 I'm recording many songs into the same project, one after the other. The project is saved as a package, not as a folder.

From time to time I need to share with coworkers some songs, one time just a couple, one time a single one... as a Logic project. The idea was to "Save as" the whole project with another name without copying the files, open the new one, strip away all the bars of the project except the needed ones, "select unused" files from the file browser and delete them, "manage project - clean up". So that I should come up with a project that has just the needed files into it.

My problem raises as soon as I go through the "Save as" since without me checking any box, Logic still saves the new project copying every asset into it.

Why doesn't it behave like I would expect? What am I missing? Would you suggest a better way to fulfil my goal?

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this.

Giovanni Baglioni

I read it twice, but still can't understand what the issue is and what your goal is... :/

First, I always think that Folder is better than Package. To be honest, I don't even understand the need of adding that feature when everything always worked great and all DAWs work the same way, folders... anyway... Apple and their thoughts of "the users need this" :P

I believe that "Clean Up" analyzes the main folder and all projects inside that folder. Now the problem here is that you're using a package, not a folder, that's why I keep saying that Folder is better than Package. You have access to everything. I never used Package so I don't really know how it works when it comes to Save As. 

First of all thanks for replying.

I will try to explain better the issue.

I have a quite big project at the moment, close to 4 GB. Many songs recorded one after the other in the timeline. When i want to share just a song i want to come up with a little project, part of this big project, that contains just the needed bars.

My idea was to save the same big project as a new one that didn't contain copy of all the 4GB of audio, but just the "links" to it. Strip away all the unneeded bars and then consolidate the project so that it copied in itself only the needed audio part.

The problem is that at the first step I have to wait a lot cause Logic copies all the 4GB no matter what...

I tried setting the project as a folder rather than a package, the behaviour is the very same :(

• Solution

Create a new alternative. There you remove all not needed audio files from the audio bin. Then export that alternative to a new project file. And as 3ple said, I recommend to use Folder instead of Package too. 

I also recommend to look for another workflow. This seems very dangerous. 

Better to have a project template that suits your needs, open it, click save, save as Folder, it will ask you to choose a path (mandatory since you cannot overwrite templates by clicking 'Save') and hit record. 

All your audio files are in that folder, you have a dedicated project file. No more sharing one project for all the different recordings. 

Regardless of "package" or "folder", whether you "Save As ..." or "Save a Copy As ...", the option to copy Audio Files is ignored (at least in 10.3.1).  Logic will ALWAYS copy the audio files to the new project.  This seems like a bug to me. 

FWIW, in my workflow I always copy all files, so the bug does not affect me.

I guess I need to retract that. I found this project setting which apparently over rides the save-as options.

1005084487_LogicProSettings.png.689e74b7f6b037f64e4f40362ee242dd.png

BUT Wait.....that didn't make any difference either.  Still copies the Audio Files when I've told it not to. Uncheck this option, uncheck the Audio File option in the Save As dialog and Logic still copies the Audio Files.

I guess I need to retract that. I found this project setting which apparently over rides the save-as options.

Logic Pro Settings.png

BUT Wait.....that didn't make any difference either.  Still copies the Audio Files when I've told it not to. Uncheck this option, uncheck the Audio File option in the Save As dialog and Logic still copies the Audio Files.

Yeah... I had already found that, and hoped that it would solve the issue. This behaviour of Logic seems a bug to me too.

Create a new alternative. There you remove all not needed audio files from the audio bin. Then export that alternative to a new project file. And as 3ple said,

This suits my needs perfectly! Thanks a lot. Seems you're always my saviour stardust :)

I recommend to use Folder instead of Package too.

Why do you say so? To me package feels just a bit more organized, at least visually, when you browse under Finder.

I would still keep the topic open though, cause leaving those copy assets boxes unchecked and still seeing Logic copy all the stuff seems a bug. Would you correct me on that?

Glad to be able to help :D

Folders give you more flexibility = direct access to files. On the other hand, yes, using Finder might be less cool. But then with Packages, Finder won't find any audio files recorded. If you name the recording track 'XYZ', using folders, then Finder will find audio files named 'XYZ'. Or can Finder also search within the Package?

I only use Folder option, because I also add presets there, Excel where customer can write feedback and inputs, sheets for recording settings, any many other things. When I need to send the project, I just create a ZIP = package ;)

Folders give you more flexibility = direct access to files. On the other hand, yes, using Finder might be less cool. But then with Packages, Finder won't find any audio files recorded. If you name the recording track 'XYZ', using folders, then Finder will find audio files named 'XYZ'. Or can Finder also search within the Package?

I only use Folder option, because I also add presets there, Excel where customer can write feedback and inputs, sheets for recording settings, any many other things. When I need to send the project, I just create a ZIP = package

+100

Actually a package is just a special type of folder (just like a .bundle or .app).  Finder handles it (them) special, i.e. doesn't perform searches into it (them), makes you use the "Show Package contents" command, etc.  BUT, if you open a terminal window and take a look around, you'll see that a package is just another folder and treated exactly the same as any other.

Regardless, I prefer keeping my projects in folders.

FYI: even if you save your project using the folder option, some of the project is still stored as a package.  INSIDE that package you'll find such goodies as your Alternatives projects, auto-saves, backups, undo files, etc.  Not that you'll ever need to access them, but there it is for the curious.

Why don't you just duplicate that package, open the new duplicate project, go to the bin, select unused files and delete them (if it doesn't ask you to delete from the drive, just right click, choose to Copy/Convert File, create a new folder (for example "used files") and let it copy all files. Once you're done, go to Audio Files and delete all files outside "used files" folder) and then save the project?

I do this all the time when I want to clean projects. Sometimes I used the clean up and consolidate, but sometimes I like to do it manually, without relying on Logic's "intelligence" to find the used and unused files lol

Once you save it, close it and open it again and make sure there's no warning saying there are files missing. If not, you're good to go.

And as stardustmedia said, it's not good practice to have the same folder or package for different projects. You're just asking for trouble :P One project, one folder. To be honest, I don't even use alternatives. I always save it with a different name. When I work on a song I have my folder like:

Name of the song

Name of the song mix 1

Name of the song mix 2

Name of the song mix 2 (bounce in place instruments) 1

Name of the song mix 2 (bounce in place instruments) 2

etc

Mix 1 and mix 2 are not different mixes. It's just a more advanced stage. I'm always saving and saving and saving every time I make some important changes. 

It's easier, faster and safer for me to have all those projects. And when I'm done, I just delete all of them and keep the last one. :)

Why don't you just duplicate that package, open the new duplicate project

That's the very thing i don't wanna do since it takes long to duplicate all the 4GB of assets while most of them are not needed.

You don't have 2 minutes to duplicate a project? :P You only have to do it once and then you have a separate project just for that song.

• 1 year later...

I recently dealt with a similar problem. I was using a friends DAW (ProTools) to record a session. When I got home, I dragged the raw audio files into Logic. When I saved it, I checked saved assets in the "save as" window so I could have them all included in the package. Let's call this Project 1. However, when I create another empty project (let's call this Project 2) so I can paste the bits of Project 1 that I want into Project 2, and save Project 2, it ALWAYS COPIES THE ASSETS even though the boxes are unchecked (I also checked the project settings as well). It seems like a bug. Once you tell Logic to copy assets, it keeps doing that for subsequent projects even though you tell it not to. Needless to say, this is incredibly frustrating and a huge hard drive suck. I create multiple drafts of songs and I don't need logic re copying the audio files at every save point.

My work around was to restart Logic and create a new Project 1 and uncheck the save assets options when saving. In this situation, Logic will just point to the location of the audio files so it's important you don't re locate them after you save. If you do, you'll have to be ready to tell Logic where to find them. Project 2 and subsequent projects now save as expected, without the assets. I suppose the solution is to never tell logic to copy the assets until they fix this bug.

I recently dealt with a similar problem. I was using a friends DAW (ProTools) to record a session. When I got home, I dragged the raw audio files into Logic. When I saved it, I checked saved assets in the "save as" window so I could have them all included in the package. Let's call this Project 1. However, when I create another empty project (let's call this Project 2) so I can paste the bits of Project 1 that I want into Project 2, and save Project 2, it ALWAYS COPIES THE ASSETS even though the boxes are unchecked (I also checked the project settings as well). It seems like a bug. Once you tell Logic to copy assets, it keeps doing that for subsequent projects even though you tell it not to. Needless to say, this is incredibly frustrating and a huge hard drive suck. I create multiple drafts of songs and I don't need logic re copying the audio files at every save point.

My work around was to restart Logic and create a new Project 1 and uncheck the save assets options when saving. In this situation, Logic will just point to the location of the audio files so it's important you don't re locate them after you save. If you do, you'll have to be ready to tell Logic where to find them. Project 2 and subsequent projects now save as expected, without the assets. I suppose the solution is to never tell logic to copy the assets until they fix this bug.

I can replicate it here. The only difference in my case is that the Audio Files folder is empty, when I uncheck the Audio Files box. Other than that, all Alchemy, EXS, Impulse Responses, etc, are saved.

Please send them your feedback. I sent mine:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

• 3 weeks later...
Why don't you just duplicate that package, open the new duplicate project

That's the very thing i don't wanna do since it takes long to duplicate all the 4GB of assets while most of them are not needed.

You can move the audio out of your project before duplicating the project file:

1. Backup in case you screw something up. I'll often right click on the project and choose Archive... creating a zip of the full project as a backup in case things go sideways. If I'm successful in the end, I can trash the zip.
  2. Create an "Audio Files" folder next to your project file
  3. Right click on the project file and choose "Show package contents"
  4. Inside you will see ... folders. Look in the media folder to find your audio files. Move them to the "Audio Files" folder you created earlier. Now they are outside your project.
  5. IN FINDER right click on the original project file and choose duplicate. Now you have a copy without the audio in the package.
  6. In your resulting new project copy, delete regions, then in the Project Audio Window select unused audio and clear it out of the project and just save. No need to save as.

Now when you open your resulting Logic project(s) you can "Save As" if you want. However, I have better luck duplicating in finder. Logic still copies the audio files "for" me even when I have every setting I can find for copying the files turned off.

I'll even get really daring and manually consolidate/cleanup things by deleting backup files and undo files manually within the package folder structure. My logic projects still open and run just fine.

Within Logic Pro X 10.3.1 I'm recording many songs into the same project, one after the other. The project is saved as a package, not as a folder.

From time to time I need to share with coworkers some songs, one time just a couple, one time a single one... as a Logic project. The idea was to "Save as" the whole project with another name without copying the files, open the new one, strip away all the bars of the project except the needed ones, "select unused" files from the file browser and delete them, "manage project - clean up". So that I should come up with a project that has just the needed files into it.

That sounds like a complicated workflow. How about:

• Save your projects organized as folders.

• Save any new Logic project file that uses common audio files inside the same project folder: no audio files will be duplicated, no matter what your settings are in the Save dialog.

• To 'export' one of the Logic project files and only the audio file that project uses, open the project, choose Save as and save it in another location along with its audio files. Send to whoever needs it, and delete from your hard drive.

That sounds like a complicated workflow. How about:

• Save your projects organized as folders.

• Save any new Logic project file that uses common audio files inside the same project folder: no audio files will be duplicated, no matter what your settings are in the Save dialog.

• To 'export' one of the Logic project files and only the audio file that project uses, open the project, choose Save as and save it in another location along with its audio files. Send to whoever needs it, and delete from your hard drive.

Would it be the same as just saving the project as Folder, opening the project again and then Export? No need to Save As and then open that new project :) Right?

Would it be the same as just saving the project as Folder, opening the project again and then Export?

What do you mean by Export exactly?

I meant "Save As". So instead of saving it with a different name, then opening that new project as you said, why not just open the original project and simply Save As to a different location? Logic will still just copy the files that it needs to work on that project

open the project, choose Save as and save it in another location
why not just open the original project and simply Save As to a different location?

:shock: :?:

You wrote "Save any new Logic project file that uses common audio files inside the same project folder: no audio files will be duplicated, no matter what your settings are in the Save dialog"

so I was assuming you were saying: open your project, Save As with a different name, then open that new project with that different name and then save it in a different location ;)

No, I meant when you create the project, the first save, make it inside the project folder so that the audio files are not duplicated.

Let's say I have Song1 that uses audio files A, B and C.

001.png.c09b02fe17d290057489b65f5f02064c.png

I want to make a different version that I call Song2. I open Song1 and save it as Song2 inside the Song1 project folder. Song2 continues to refer to A, B and C.

002.png.0556560d82c8e4a155343de5f848a55e.png

As you work on Song2 you decide to delete B and C and record a new audio file, D. Now Song2 requires A and D. But the audio files folder inside the Song1 project folder contains A, B, C and D.

003.png.21c5fdd294d569dcc80d3287c62cde27.png

So you open Song2 and do a save as outside the project folder so that it duplicates only A and D into that new location.

004.png.0cdea396bc93d65f6e6a98d6d1f832c5.png

You send Song2 to whoever needs it and then you delete that new Song2 project folder from that new location.

• 1 year later...

This seems like a huge problem to me. Especially for anyone working from audio banks. It should be easy as pie to be able to link audio to a project without always having it copied in the audio files folder, and it should be just as easy to do a save as of a project in a new location and be able to have the audio files linked rather than copied.

I THINK I FOUND AN EASY SOLUTION. Please let me know if this works for others.

1) You have to be in folder mode, not package.

2) copy the .logicx project file

3) paste it in the location you want it into a folder with the same name as the project

4) create Audio, Bounces, Movie Files, Freeze Files folders in the new project folder

5) open your copied .logicx file and it should prompt you to link your audio files without copying them

Seems crazy that this is what you have to do. But it seems to be working for me.

LOGIC GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

;)

p

• 1 year later...

Further: in my new project I deleted all regions, and copied in the regions for my tracks for one particular song, from the original project. Now I want to delete the files for regions I removed, and therefore select Project Management->Clean Up... and check Delete Unused Files. I get no dialog after that, and it haven't deleted any files. However, if I afterwards select Edit->Select Unused in the file browser, it selects 176 files. Contradictory.

Maybe this is related? Are they in one sense considered "used" because the original project is using them? That wouldn't make sense since they're copied, it's new files. This makes me wonder that maybe I shouldn't delete them.

I'm in other words having the same problem as brought up 4 years ago here:

viewtopic.php?t=130353