Splitting a channel into multiple frequencies for processing

JoshJ

I'm working with master stems at the moment (drums, vocal group, etc). Is it possible to send a channels audio to 3 separate bus channels for exclusive processing on each frequency (e.g.; spread the highs out, compress the Mids and leave the bass alone)?

If not is there another way in Logic or a plugin available that will allow me to do this?

Thanks

I think Multipressor will give you most of that without having to split them out, surely?  If you're splitting out into 3 different busses that could become a right pain to manage, as you may need to change the cross-over range to get the sound you want and then you would need to adjust each bus to suit that change etc. etc.

You can use the stereo spreader to widen the highs after the multipresser too.  As it has a frequency band range at the lower part of the plugin.

Alternatively Izotope's Ozone is *very* good at doing these tasks, if you can justify the costs.  Don't own it myself but would love to! :-(

Klevgränd Gaffel can do that for 3 bands. Multiple instances can be linked, up to 8 different groups. Within one group if you change the crossover frequency, the other linked instances change accordingly. Then those 3 bands can be processed further as you wish. 

Other plugins like Ozone feature that as well, but are way more expensive. Nevertheless Gaffel will give you way more flexibility, because you can then add all other 3rd party plugins for that band. 

Definitely a great little helper ;) 

https://klevgrand.se/products/gaffel/

I tried the Multipressor approach for multiband distortion and - although it might not be as comfortable as with Studio One's channel editor - it works pretty good. 

I sent my bass to two busses, each with Multipressor activated. On the first bus I disabled the higher frequencies from 580 Hz upwards, on the second bus the lower frequencies. Then I applied distortion (Cytomic's "The Scream" tubescreamer emulation - highly recommended!) only to the second bus. I chose another bus as output for both frequency bands and applied Amp/Cab simulation, EQ and compression there. 

• 1 month later...
Klevgränd Gaffel can do that for 3 bands. Multiple instances can be linked, up to 8 different groups. Within one group if you change the crossover frequency, the other linked instances change accordingly. Then those 3 bands can be processed further as you wish. 

Other plugins like Ozone feature that as well, but are way more expensive. Nevertheless Gaffel will give you way more flexibility, because you can then add all other 3rd party plugins for that band. 

Definitely a great little helper ;) 

https://klevgrand.se/products/gaffel/

Sorry for the late response. This looks very interesting. Thanks a lot Stardust!