Very basic compression level question?

dchaiku

Yes, it's been discussed many times, but this basic concept still troubles me. I've got a kick - sounds lovely. I just wish to compress it a bit. The track level (pre fader metering) is at -2, which I believe is fine (correct me if I'm wrong please).  The post fader track level I bring to -6.  Now, I throw a compressor on the kick track, which brings my post fader level to -4.4.  If I am correct, I want to bring it back to -6 so I can compare equal levels with and without comp, and not get suckered into thinking with comp is better because it is louder. How do I adjust the compressor - input level, makeup gain, or output level? I can get the level back to -6 by adjusting any of these three, but which one SHOULD I be adjusting?  

Much appreciated. Just to clarify then, the only thing I need to do to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples (compressed vs non-compressed) is make sure the output levels for the track match? And to check that, do I look at the stereo output level (mix bus minus any plugs) without compressor, add compressor, refresh the output level indicator, and adjust makeup until it matches the level I had without compressor? 

If I am correct, I want to bring it back to -6 so I can compare equal levels with and without comp

Not exactly, because the two signals you're comparing have a different dynamic range, a different crest factor etc... which makes it impossible to be equal in levels at all times. If you match the peak levels as you suggest, then the compressed signal will sound louder than the uncompressed, making it nearly always appear like it sounds better. Therefor the best way to compare your compressed and uncompressed signal is to match their level by ear, not by number. And that level matching may be different in different sections of the song.