AUTOMATION: copy / paste region automation???

t-ride

Region automation (RBA), either MIDI or Faders events, can be freely copied/pasted between regions., as explained here.

However, you have to be aware that copying Faders events to a region from a different track could yield to unpredictable results. 

Faders (events) adress to a parameter according to a specific pattern based on the channel's insert slots's # and parameters position's #, which quite likely will differ between tracks. 

In order to avoid such issue, you could use the method described here.

Region automation (RBA), either MIDI or Faders events, can be freely copied/pasted between regions., as explained here.

However, you have to be aware that copying Faders events to a region from a different track could yield to unpredictable results. 

Faders (events) adress to a parameter according to a specific pattern based on the channel's insert slots's # and parameters position's #, which quite likely will differ between tracks. 

In order to avoid such issue, you could use the method described here.

Thanks for your answer Atlas007!!

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I can not paste region automation between tracks in Logic Pro 10.4.8. I have two flutes playing, one on each track. I automated the first flute's dynamic layers (a Spitfire Audio plug-in feature). I copy it and try to paste to flute 2, and it keeps saying "Command not available because the clipboard does not contain matching data."

I'm sure this is something simple. For what it's worth, I also seem to have trouble selecting the automation sometimes for no apparent reason. Please help.

Thanks!

Sorry, this is NOT fixed. I thought I pasted automation data but it instead pasted the entire region, and since the two parts are identical I thought it pasted the automation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Make sure the plug-in that you automate is in the same insert on both channel strips. To select the automation, click the trim field on the original track, then press Command-C, select the destination track, positon the playhead at the beginning of the region, and then press Command-V.

copy-region-automation.gif.234b11b5e6fe06f4f3a7875f4c242082.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

So it's still not working, even with the sends identical. I notice in your example you use two identical software instruments. I am using two different ones (cellos and basses). It refuses to copy automation only but will copy the entire region.

Are you in the same situation exactly as I am on my animation, and do you perform the same exact steps?

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so your situation is slightly different, you're having multiple automation lanes open and you're attempting to copy MIDI Control data. I tried but couldn't succeed either. I'm afraid you'd have to use a workaround. Have you tried selecting the data to copy the way you do it in the Tracks area but then open the Event List to copy and paste the data in a different region?

I actually just created my account for this, but I was having the same problem and found a workaround. It seems like it's not possible to copy MIDI Control data in the tracks view, but if you open the editor/piano roll and use the automation window there, it works. I'm not sure why.

Ah, thanks for explaining the difference, David. Though, other than the different names, I'm not sure what the difference actually is (I'm pretty new to MIDI).

Could you please show me how to paste the data into the Event List? I haven't used that feature much.

NZsaltz, I'll try your workaround, too!

Thanks, both of you!

Ah, thanks for explaining the difference, David. Though, other than the different names, I'm not sure what the difference actually is (I'm pretty new to MIDI).

I was showing tracks with a single lane each and a single parameter showing each, the same parameter for both tracks.

You're showing tracks that have two parameters showing each (Dynamics and CC21), with a sublane open below the main automation lane, for the additional parameters.

To copy/paste in the Event List, select the control data in the track the way you're doing it on your screenshot then open the event list and press Command-C, then select the destination region and in the Event List press Command-V.

Thanks again, David.

For what it's worth, CC21 is assigned to control the Dynamics, as the default control for Dynamics is the mod wheel, but mine is dead. I had hoped that the Dynamics plane would show the mapping, but it only shows up via CC21. Is there any way for it to map to the Dynamics?

All the best,

PJ

"Dynamics" doesn't really mean much unless we know exactly what instrument and patch you're using, and what it means for that specific instrument and patch.

If for example, using Spitfire library, CC#1 is controlling the dynamics, then you could reprogram your controller so that whatever knob/slider you wish to use sends CC#1?