Midi CC data on multiple midi channels in one track?

Soundhound

I've got a few different string instruments (articulations) I'm wanting to use in one instance of Kontakt (in VEP6 btw). Is it possible to have cc data on different midi channels within the same Logic track, or does it have to be multiple tracks? I can change the channel of the midi data in the Event List, but then it doesn't show in the piano roll automation lane, though if I click on the notes in the piano roll, it does seem to show the associated cc data in the automation lane... Am I trying to do something that's not advisable?

thanks!

You may want to check out this article about how to view MIDI control data,

https://ask.audio/articles/why-how-to-view-multiple-controller-lanes-in-logic-pro-x

By default, I believe Logic will record (on a single MIDI track) whatever MIDI data you throw at it.  If say you had a multi-timbral synth set to a performance where say a flute was on Midi ch 4, bass on Midi ch 5, and something else on MIDI ch 6, etc.   - then all that MIDI data would certainly be recorded on a single MIDI track in Logic.  Then you could subsequently select that MIDI region in Logic, and select the function in Logic to split out the MIDI data to new tracks by MIDI channel number.  (Don't recall where that function is offhand, but you would end up with a new track for each MIDI channel or instrument data was recorded for).   Now if you were playing all that and recording it while  using a controller to do pitch bend, etc,  that controller data should also be recorded in the MIDI stream.  And I suspect you will see the pitch bend data occurs at the time you played it (if you view it in a controller lane as the article says). 

Thanks! I have started to use the Step editor recently for a 'Cubase-lite' way of seeing multiple cc lanes, and a bit with region based in the arrange window as well. The trick though is being able to switch between midi channels on one track. I used to do some tracks with instruments playing on a variety of midi channels. Generally drum tracks where I'm wanting to combine various Kontakt instruments and have, say, that part of the percussion section easily held in one track, but I guess I wasn't using as much cc data then, because I don't remember dealing with this issue that much... At any rate, when I do this now and want to switch between which midi channel I'm working on in the track, the only way I can see to reliably do that is click on an event (note, etc) that is on that midi channel. at that point it will show cc data for that channel. It just doesn't seem to be set up logically for cc data streams on multiple channels, so that's why I'm wondering if people tend to do it on separate tracks. 

Happy to help.  Not sure this is of interest, but anything you can select in the event list from a MIDI region, e.g., click/highlight only the controller tab to display only controller data, etc.  - can be copied and pasted at its original position to a different track.  So you can select only the controller data in the event list for a MIDI region you've already recorded.  Next, go in a new empty (MIDI) track underneath that region and from the EDIT pull down menu in the arrange window, select PASTE AT ORIGINAL POSITION.  Now go back in the event list for the MIDI region where the controller data came from and delete what you just pasted (it should still be selected/highlighted if you left it that way).

Now the MIDI controller data has been moved out of the region you recorded - and lives on a separate MIDi track. (Playing back the recorded  region will not/use have any controller data).  If you re working with a virtual instrument, then you still need to have all the MIDI data on the same track.  You can do this by creating an alias to just the MIDI controller data you've isolated on the new  track.  An alias is just a pointer to that data so that you physically don't need to make copies of it to use it elsewhere. Or if you edit the physical controller data on the separate track, then the alias (pointing to it) will see the same changes.

Select the region of controller data on its own track, then in the arrange window select FUNCTIONS -> REGION ALIAS -> MAKE ALIAS.  A region with the name "alias" will appear ahead of the selected region of controller data; the alias region will be the same size.  You can now drag the alias region up to be on top of the region you recorded, making sure you drag it to be in exactly the same position as the real controller region underneath it.   Now the region for the original recording will be overlaid by the controller data region alias in the same place the controller data was originally recorded; Logic will sum (add the data in the overlaid regions together)  on playback.  With an alias setup, you can now see/edit the controller data independently as a separate region on its own track (and the alias on the original track - or anywhere else you create and position an alias - will automatically see/use your edits).  But you do have to do the work to isolate whatever data you want, create aliases, and position them where they need to be.