MIDI FX unavailable in Logic Pro X

kerems
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello,

Quite an old Logic user but haven't been a user of MIDI Fx plugins.

They weren't even part of my Channel Strip Configuration in the mixer. 

Lately had to use them and my MIDI Fx dropdown showed "No Plug-in". 

I remember trying MIDI Fx with no problems when they were first introduced but now can't get them to appear.

- Tried reading rare threads looking similar with no solutions.

- The user, is the only user I have always used (and installed) Logic Pro - no other users on this computer (except guest).

- Did a delete of Logic preferences.

- Did an uninstall/reinstall for Logic Pro X to no change (only the essentials part of the library).

- I see the -plugins- under Plug-in Manager / Logic - their versions = 10.3.2, their Use chkboxes are checked.

- I have Logic Pro X 10.3.2 (re)installed and working with no other apparent problems, on a Mac Pro (late 2013) w Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.

Thx in advance for any advice (other than the above :).

On all software instrument tracks. Haven't tried an external MIDI track.

I only have the "essentials" part of the library downloaded. I am not a library user. Do you think it can be related to the library/presets not being complete or missing? Cause it's not sth I considered. Would you think completing the whole library download process could have an impact?

Yes, no other apparent problems in my daily life with Logic Pro.

I was just not using the MIDI Fx, one day I tried and puf they're not showing.

Sth interesting and new though, now I tried a Logic ready template instead of one of mine. 

The one named Electronic.

In that on one of the tracks there are two MIDI Fx inserted (a Modulator and a Modifier) and they are working.

I just can't get the list to show and insert one myself anywhere. 

Totally above me but does this somehow show there's something wrong with my "user"s relation with Logic.

Any ideas?

Peh, they are available in a newly created user :( 

Bad face cause seems impossibly hard work transferring to a new user, espc with audo plugins. 

had numerous errors with installed licensers, special registrations, external dsp related plugins etc.

Is there a way I can try repairing the original user (admin) user to a better state? 

Guess there's a residual within the admin user that is causing Logic to behave odd on these.

I did it that way as far as I recall but will try again.

Below's the instruction text I followed. 

One small difference though I have a "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" file instead of a "com.apple.logic.pro file"

Guess not important but telling just in case.

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library/Preferences, then click Go.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.logic10.plist" file from the Preferences folder. 
  5. If you upgraded from an earlier version of Logic Pro, also remove the "com.apple.logic.pro" file.

6. Restart your Mac.

One small difference though I have a "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" file instead of a "com.apple.logic.pro file"

The .cs file is the control surfaces preference file which stores all the key commands and control surface preferences.

The other is the main Logic preferences file.

Thx, yeah, I also started thinking my reinstall was not successful ... maybe due to a permission issue.

So I found a more detailed uninstall instruction set and retried.

I found out I (Admin) was not able to trash the ../Application Support/Logic folder (although I was able to delete it's entire content). I deleted it using the Terminal. I will try a second reinstall. Fingers crossed :)

That might do it, but permissions issues can be a minefield, depending on what level they are at. Repair permissions might do it, but that process won't fix deeper issues. There are tools available, but you can easily make things worse. The only way I fixed it in one earlier OS was by upgrading the OS itself. But you should be able to migrate to a new user account if that works. Most plugins are installed system wide, so for all users.

this worked. all look ok now (quick look).

i conclude my first reinstall was sort of unsuccessful, due to above, with no error messages.

as a result i gave you wrong information from the start saying i reinstalled logic pro x, sorry for that.

and thx for the help. i nearly gave up, you kept me going :)

• 11 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I may have found a solution on another forum and wanted to share, for those still having this issue.

Open the plugin manager, sort by 'Type', select all MIDI Plugins and drag and drop them onto "Top Level" in the sidebar.

I probably moved them when organising my plugins. This fixed it for me!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have this issue as well.... I do get some of the MIDI FX showing, but the one I really want, Scriptor, isn't there, although it shows up in Plugins manager, ( and checked ) and both Audio MIDI setup and MIDI monitor show my Octapad active. The Octapad and Mac were working well but one day, it just stopped. When I would hit a pad, the strip will switch to record automatically, but no sound or sign of input. I did have the HDD swapped out to a SSD, but that was as a possible fix. Present OS is 10.15.7 and Logic X is 10.6.1

I have done two reinstalls of Logic, and cleared .plists in the library.

What does show up in MIDI FX is.... Appregiator, Chord Trigger, Modifier, Modulator, Note Repeater, Randomiser, Transposer, and Velocity Processor.

I have asked around on some other groups and they are perplexed as well, I haven't a clue. Being as it's a built in plugin, there should be no reason why it doesn't appear..

Thoughts...? Oh and I tried creating a new user, didn't do anything

Cheers!