MIDI FX unavailable in Logic Pro X

kerems
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

not sure if this helps but I got to this page for a similar reason and found some sounds (the default classic electric piano) allow MIDI FX, but when I switch to another stock sound (pianos/piano and pad) the MIDI FX button disappears. Similarly, changing the instrument after applying a MIDI FX to piano and pad removes the FX. Still trying to research from APPle why this is happening and what defines the limitation.

not sure if this helps but I got to this page for a similar reason and found some sounds (the default classic electric piano) allow MIDI FX, but when I switch to another stock sound (pianos/piano and pad) the MIDI FX button disappears. Similarly, changing the instrument after applying a MIDI FX to piano and pad removes the FX. Still trying to research from APPle why this is happening and what defines the limitation.

I think what you describe is happening when selecting a different patch or Channelstrip setting, which is normal behaviour.

In such case, one has to understand Logic's dynamic library concepts.

• The library will display different content depending of the inspector's (type of) channelstrip's selected and the selected slot as well.

• Additionally, depending of the instantiated plugin (audio Fx, MIDI Fx, virtual instrument), the library will display items (presets) related to that very plugin.

• In case the top slot is selected, then either the channelstrip and patches libraries will appear.

• In case of selecting a different patche, in order to keep some of the current components, one could use the merge options before selecting a different patche from the (patches') library. That merge function (at the bottom right of the library), will reveal the available options once clicked on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Besides being helpful info, it helped me identify my particular issue (losing the ability to add MIDI FX after changing to a new sound). I got why it loaded new components but now realized why it lost the MIDI FX: in my example, I was replacing a standard sound with a stacked track sound (Piano/Pad). The option for MIDI FX option is available for the individual instruments, but not the stack.

Thanks for your help. Now I need to figure out how to apply Scaler to a stacked sound. I think your idea about the merge function might do it. :)

• 1 year later...