fallen out accelerating audio file to a constant tempo

pkirst

Hi there,

I was wondering about an elegant solution to this problem:

- Imagine a choo-choo steam engine based train sound. the old trains based on steam engines. Say you have an audio file that captured an accelerating train and you'd like to turn this in to a nice constant tempo groove.

- The first option that comes to mind is: choose a tempo somewhere in the middle of the slowest and fastest beats and then flex edit this. It seems like the only possible way to do this. But I found it cumbersome and not quite accurate for some reason...

- Or, (and I wish this was somehow possible), set a tempo curve that matches the accelerando so that the accelerating groove of the audio file is on the grid. And then just change the exponential tempo curve to a constant line... and it would then automatically straighten out the audio file... But I don't think that exists in Logic... ???

How would you do this?

Thanks a bunch!

P

MAC OS 10.12.6, Logic 10.3.2, MacBook Pro 2014, 16GB RAM

• 10 months later...

Yes, the way to do it is to beat map the audio file so it is perfectly on the (musical) grid. Then, and this is a Logic bug I believe, Bounce the audio in place (Ctrl-B), THEN switch on Flex. (From now on ONLY work with the Bounced in Place file). If you can't see the flex option hit Cmd-F to turn on Flex View, select an algorithm (slicing in my case of the choo-choo train). And then just delete all tempo events you created during the beat mapping process. And that will do exactly what I was going for. Everything is evened out (stretched or compressed) to be on a constant tempo.

I hope this helps!