Software instruments wont record?

tylergang
Go to solution Solved by tylergang,

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem where all my software instruments dont record. The red record button lights up when pressed but doesnt actually record anything and I dont get the red audio strip on the track. Yes I have recording enabled. I can record vocal audio and everything else via my mic, but  logic wont record the onboard software instruments. Do I need to have somthing fixed in my settings? Do I need to change my input/output or somthing? Any suggestions? 

anything appreciated

thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem where all my software instruments dont record. The red record button lights up when pressed but doesnt actually record anything and I dont get the red audio strip on the track. Yes I have recording enabled. I can record vocal audio and everything else via my mic, but  logic wont record the onboard software instruments. Do I need to have somthing fixed in my settings? Do I need to change my imput/output or somthing? Any suggestions? 

anything appreciated

thanks!

Are you getting any midi activity? You can check this in the Control Bar Display ( you should see note names/Chord names when you play your midi keyboard). You can also check this in the environment with a monitor. That would be my first troubleshooting step. See if you are actually getting any midi into Logic. 

Also, like was asked before, are you using an external midi keyboard, or the Logic on-screen Keyboard?

It's in the track Inspector: 

midi.jpg

Many thanks KC,  its set to ALL on mine, midi recording fine!

Yes - I leave mine at All nearly 90% of the time. I only switch it on rare occasion, so I don't think that is the issue with the OP (I could be wrong). But I can't help more without further info - so hopefully they either figured it out, or will respond. 

Are you getting any midi activity? You can check this in the Control Bar Display ( you should see note names/Chord names when you play your midi keyboard). You can also check this in the environment with a monitor. That would be my first troubleshooting step. See if you are actually getting any midi into Logic.

Also, like was asked before, are you using an external midi keyboard, or the Logic on-screen Keyboard? 

I am currently using the on screen logic keyboard, I am ordering a midi controller soon but wanted to get a feel for the actual software before purchasing. Changing the channel to 1 or 2 instead of all did not change anything. I am getting response from the sounds but it does not record. Record button stays highlighted but no actual recording being done. 

I am currently using the on screen logic keyboard, I am ordering a midi controller soon but wanted to get a feel for the actual software before purchasing. Changing the channel to 1 or 2 instead of all did not change anything. I am getting response from the sounds but it does not record. Record button stays highlighted but no actual recording being done. 

In case this hasn't been covered previously, having the record button enabled on the track is not enough.  You also have to press record in the transport.

In case this hasn't been covered previously, having the record button enabled on the track is not enough.  You also have to press record in the transport.

Yes I realize that, ive messed around with it enough where I know its not somthing obvious and simple. Must me a problem in the settings or somewhere not directly in sight. I am not a newbie to logic, only to the software instrument side. Never had a problem recording anything else, although ive only recorded through the mic and through a usb to 1/4 guitar imput.

Yes I realize that, ive messed around with it enough where I know its not somthing obvious and simple. Must me a problem in the settings or somewhere not directly in sight. I am not a newbie to logic, only to the software instrument side. Never had a problem recording anything else, although ive only recorded through the mic and through a usb to 1/4 guitar imput.

Ok, sorry.  I guess I read more into your statement "wanted to get a feel for the actual software"

How do I post my screenshot on here? It only appears to let me post pics via a URL, and wont let me browse files on my desktop. 

Select posta reply

scroll down and select the attachments tab ( next to options (on colored bar directly below the save draft, preview and submit buttons)

click add files and select the screen shot file filename

• Solution
Everything looks right. Opening the musical typing window and hitting the right letter keys (A, S, D...) on your computer keyboard should record those notes.

If that fails... check your Environment cabling? In the Click and Ports layer?

!! Using the musical keys I am now able to record sound! For some odd reason I can play the small on screen keyboard as much as I want and nothing will record, but when I open up the musical keys window it has no problem. Either way, I am recording now! thanks a bunch 

• 2 years later...

I have a variation on this issue. I have 2 virtual instruments: VI #1 is set in its inspector tab to receive on MIDI ch 1; VI #2 is set to receive on MIDI ch 3.

A MIDI keyboard controller (connected by USB) sets the left hand to play on MIDI channel 1 and the right hand to play on MIDI channel 3 via one split point. I can see in the MIDI input field on the transport bar that beneath the split point, MIDI events are on channel 1 are displayed and above the split point they it they switch to be on channel 3. I can also see the split point for MIDI data is working correctly in the environment window at the output of the physical input object in the clicks and ports layer.

I can put both VI tracks into record mode on their respective tracks in Logic's arrange window, and everything works as expected w.r.t hearing what is played with the split point for the MIDi data coming from the keyboard. Sometimes toggling the VI tracks in/out of record mode (with the R itself red as opposed to the box around it being red) is a bit flaky, but once both tracks are record enabled, the split point is recognized, and I can play both VI's and record on both tracks simultaneously.

I made a copy of this Logic project, brought it to another machine and worked on the mix for it a bit which uses a different audio interface. I added some more (of Logic's own) plugins. Then I take this variation of the project back to the original machine and once again try to record enable and play both virtual instruments. MIDI coming from the keyboard still correctly sending events on channels 1 and 3 around the split point. But now the VI for the left hand using MIDI channel 1 will not output audio even though it is apparently receiving data when both tracks are record enabled . But the VI for the right hand receiving on MIDI channel 3 above the split point does output audio and works just fine as before.

If I disable record on both VI tracks and then put only the VI for the left hand set to use MIDI channel 1 into record mode, I now hear audio but only above the split point on the keyboard where MIDI events are sent on channel 3. With only that 1 VI record enabled though, I would have thought I should hear audio when any note is played on the keyboard now using MIDI channel 1 or channel 3. And with both VI's record enabled, when even just playing the right hand VI, there is noticeable more latency now between when a note is played and audio is heard.

I've compared the preferences for audio devices and general tabs to see that they are the same for both projects; buffer size, plugin compensation etc. settings are the same in both projects. I'm wondering if some plist or preference file got corrupted when I saved the version of the project on the machine with the different audio interface where I worked on the mix. But I don't see how that would effect the MIDI data below the split point not being recognized correctly when both VI's are record enabled. Happy to hear any suggestions about how to further debug this.

It sounds like it could be a key range or pitch range issue. Check the Key Limit parameters for each track in the Track inspector, make sure they're both set to "C-2 G8"? If that's not it, double-check for any pitch range issue in the instrument? Or try changing to an instrument that always responds to the entire pitch range such as an electric piano patch for example?

I tried what you suggested and managed to get the split point to work again by first replacing the existing virtual instrument below the split point on channel 1, with a piano instrument. I then changed the MIDI channel in the inspector from channel 1 to ALL. Then I made that the only instrument that was record enabled, and heard piano notes across the entire MIDI keyboard (both on channels 1 and 3 or both above and below the split point). Next I changed the channel assignment from ALL back to channel 1 for the piano instrument, and record enabled both it and the other (unchanged) instrument on MIDI channel 3. THE SPLIT POINT NOW WORKS AS EXPECTED WITH BOTH VI'S ON INDEPENDENT MIDI CHANNELS ;-). Then finally I replaced the piano instrument with the original offending virtual instrument - and the split point still works as expected. It seems as if the settings got "stuck" after a while for the original VI instrument on MIDI channel 1 and it needed to be removed and re-instantiated in Logic in order to work again. Thanks so much for suggesting that.

For the latency, it turns out having a single instance of Logic's linear phase EQ on the stereo output added a huge amount of latency when playing any virtual instrument live (delay compensation is set for "playback and live tracks"). Moving the linear EQ from the stereo output - to a buss feeding the stereo output - helped with decreasing the latency. I eventually settled on a non-native Logic plugin where you can pick the compromise of mixed phase filters and do the same EQ settings - but with much lower latency. The documentation for Logic's linear phased plugin says it incurs a fixed amount of delay no matter how many EQ bands are in use, https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro-logic-effects/intro-to-linear-phase-eq-lgex92fd69c2/mac Maybe that makes it easier for delay compensation to work, but it would seem that means it always incurs the maximum amount of delay even when you don't need all the bands.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, JamesNZ said:

I have the same issue, i can play and hear software instruments. but when i try record i get nothing, so frustrated =/ symptoms as above

This topic is quite long and multiple symptoms were described, some were resolved with different solutions... can you detail what your symptoms are, and what solutions you've already tried?