Replacing An AU

Artlowell

One of my AUs has gone whacko (It's a Kontact 5 instrument), and I want to replace it with the standalone version that was installed when I bought it so that I can start fresh. Every time I try to call up a new incidence of Kontact 5, I only get back the same version that I want to replace. How can I go about convincing Logic that I want it to forget about the problematic version and give me a fresh version of the original?

Hi, Triplets. the components folder appears to be empty. Where has Logic been finding the K5 version that I've been using for over a year, now? How would I go about getting the original version from my "applications" folder into the components folder? Just drag and drop? Wouldn't I need to make a duplicate of it before trying that? 

Triplets, would you happen to be a Kontact expert? I thought maybe I should be trying to fix the version that keeps coming up, but I think that would involve re-mapping the keys, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough for that. I looked at the material in the Kontact manual on mapping editing, and got hopelessly lost.

I tried to reinstall the plugin from the menu in the channel strip a number of times. The only one I got was this same whacko version. I would think that, If I were to delete this version from the components folder, Logic would replace it with the original version. Or would I need to manually replace it myself? I'm afraid to make a move without guidance.

If I knew that I could get the original K5 into that folder. I would be willing to just delete the bad version altogether. I moved the K2 into trash, and it is no longer in the components folder. If I do the same with the K5, Will Logic be able to replace it, or is that something I need to do manually? 

I moved the K2 into trash, and it is no longer in the components folder. If I do the same with the K5, Will Logic be able to replace it, or is that something I need to do manually? 

If you move K5 to the trash, you will be deleting Kontakt from Logic altogether.

Logic cannot install plugins on its own.

When I first bought  Kontact 5, I don't remember having to do anything in my hard drive. Maybe Kontact installed it into the components folder by itself - yes? Is there a way to duplicate that process. You said, "If you have the original component file for the Kontakt plugin, then you can compare to the one in the folder. If they're different, replace it". 

Isn't that what I'm trying to do? I know that the version in the components folder is bad, and I have the original version in my applications folder. Wouldn't I just want to get rid of the bad one and move the original version into its place? I have compared the bad file with the original, and they are different. the original has none of the setting changes I have made over time, so I'm confident that they are different.

I just went ahead and tried my solution. I drug the original K5 out up applications, and it did did, indeed, just copy it onto my desktop. It's still safe and sound in my applications. but its extension is ".app", not ".component". So that didn't work.Unless there's some way to get to the Kontact 5 component file, I don't see any way to do this.

the icon on the desktop, does it have a small black arrow? it's most likely an ailas, not the app itself. i don't use kontakt, but the standalone version is NOT the same as the AU. as this is getting complicated, why not reach out to native instruments directly for help? who better can sort this out then the developer? try that, or try the NI forums...

NI support

btw the MAIN library has never been hidden, only the USER library is hidden (and has been for some years).

When I first bought  Kontact 5, I don't remember having to do anything in my hard drive. Maybe Kontact installed it into the components folder by itself - yes?

You always have to install a plugin manually, meaning you click on the INSTALL button when you download an installer for an app. Then the installer app puts the component file in the Plugin folder.

Nothing happens on its own.

Gawd. I've tried to work with Native Instruments before. Their customer support is awful! However, I would bet that that is where this problem is coming from. Thanks for the advice.

i used to deal with NI a lot, i hear you (i killed all my NI plugins a few years ago). they have a users forum, try there...