Phase correction between DI and amp inputs

martin7

I'm trying to line up a Bass DI and an amp track to be sample accurate with each other.  Obviously, the DI is coming in earlier so I want apply some sample delay with the sample delay plug in.  Im just not sure of how to properly measure the difference either in the audio file editor or the tracks area.  Im not convinced for example on how to use the audio editor to accurately determine the first transient to measure to from the region start and if, in fact, I'm measuring to the same peak in the other track as they look a little different and there is the inevitable chatter of smaller peaks from A/D conversion.  

Any workflow advice would be greatly appreciated.  

M&

I often do do that but I get this gnawing doubt that it's too approximate then I don't trust my ears as to whether the bottom end is actually better. As I'm not a great user of the audio editor I thought it might be time to delve into that for an answer.

The other cheap and cheerful method I've tried is to turn on flex for both tracks and line them up using the first transient marker