Help controlling Logic with keyboard via MIDI cables

drock54
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

So this is probably an easy fix; I just have very little experience using MIDI in/out/thru on keyboards... 

I have a Roland Fantom X8, and for years I controlled Logic Pro X with it effortlessly via USB. Now I have an iMac running Sierra, and no longer can use the Fantom's USB as Roland doesn't have updated drivers for Sierra. So I figured I can utilize the MIDI ports on the Fantom. So I have a MIDI cable connected to the midi OUT on the Fantom, going to the midi IN on my PreSonus Firebox interface (it's a MIDI/SPDIF breakout cable that plugs into the back of the interface). However, when I open Logic and pull up an instrument track, I hear nothing when I press the keys of the Fantom.  What am I missing here? Do I need a second MIDI cable running out of interface to the keyboard? Let me reiterate that I only want to use the Fantom as a controller, to trigger Logic's synths and plugins. Help please!   :?

I have the same exact issue with my alesis qs6 keyboard through my focusrite clarret interface. I can select the qs6 as an external device and logic will play existing midi info using the keyboard sounds. I just can't get the keyboard to trigger any new midi or software sounds. I even had apple support connect remotely and he couldn't get it to work. Please help.

• Solution

However, when I open Logic and pull up an instrument track, I hear nothing when I press the keys of the Fantom.  What am I missing here? Do I need a second MIDI cable running out of interface to the keyboard? Let me reiterate that I only want to use the Fantom as a controller, to trigger Logic's synths and plugins. Help please!   :?

The setup you got should be fine to use the Fantom as a MIDI Controller. But you're flying blind trying to figure out what's happening. You need to use a tool that actually shows you what's coming in (if anything) from the Fantom into the computer and eventually Logic. Although Logic has useful MIDI monitoring, I recommend you get the free MIDI Monitor by Snoize. Google it. Essential for troubleshooting MIDI.

Still, I can tell you right now that most likely, either the data is not reaching the computer and/or Logic, or the data that's arriving from the Fantom is on a MIDI channel that doesn't match the MIDI channel the instrument is set to respond to.

J.

Hallllllelujah!   It was a setting on the Fantom. USB simply had to be taken off 'MIDI' mode and put into 'storage' mode. And then voila, the MIDI out started talking to the computer. Your MIDI Monitor program was a huge help diagnosing that. Thanks Jordi!!