Synching Alesis HR-16 Midi w/Logic Pro X

dwscomposer

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had tips on how to get an old Alesis HR-16 to play midi notes in Logic X? I've tried everything I can think of but it won't play back midi. Sometimes it just starts writing random midi notes in a region and other times I'll see the midi notes it plays, but it won't play back. The audio outs are working fine but just can't get the midi to play anything back. I'm only using it for sounds and won't be programming rhythms on the machine itself. 

I'm running the midi connection through a Unitor8 which works fine with all of my other hardware.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Alesis HR-16, Unitor8, now there's a trip down memory lane.

I'm a bit unsure from your post as to whether you're trying to use the HR-16 to generate midi data from the pads to be recorded in Logic or as a sound generator. Could you explain a bit more please?

I have used the HR-16 and HR-16B as sound sources, triggered by either my master keyboard or midi drum kits. IIRC it needs to be set to "receive midi drums"(or similar wording) in one of the menus. I have never used them as midi controllers but the pads can be set up to transmit midi notes so there should be no problem recording that in Logic. 

Though if memory serves me correctly they don't transmit midi note off information only note on.

I also vaguely recall that the "local off" mode is called "midi echo" in these units.

Moreover, are you using the external instrument plugin? At the time I was using the HRs Logic was a midi only sequencer with no software synths.

Sorry for the rambling post, I was just putting down things as they came back to me.

Alan.

PS Welcome to the forum and please add your equipment information to your signature. There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this site and that will make it easier for them to help you.

A

Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to use the Alesis just to generate sounds by either playing the pads directly or from my midi keyboard. I've set it to receive midi drums on the unit itself, but no such luck in receiving playback. I am using the external instrument plugin. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Though if memory serves me correctly they don't transmit midi note off information only note on. I also vaguely recall that the "local off" mode is called "midi echo" in these units."

Any more input you may would be appreciated. Thanks again!

D

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Though if memory serves me correctly they don't transmit midi note off information only note on. I also vaguely recall that the "local off" mode is called "midi echo" in these units."

What I meant was if you press down on a pad it will transmit a midi note on command. However when you release the pad it doesn't transmit a midi note off command, unlike a keyboard. Some devices may not respond well to this but I don't think that it will be a problem for Logic. So it might be a red herring.

When I said the "local off" mode is called "midi echo" in these units." I was mistaken - it should have been "midi thru" not local off.

What this means is that when the midi echo is switched on the midi out port acts like a midi thru port (resending data appearing at the midi in port) as well as a midi out port (transmitting data generated by the HR-16). Try switching the midi echo off.

Sorry for any confusion about the above.

Alan.