Transferring Automation between Audio FX: Volume to Gain

Chuckzilla

Hello.

I currently have a project with a substantial amount of automation data written out in the default volume parameter on multiple tracks, I need to convert these to the gain parameter using the default gain plugin.

While in the show-track automation window, I'm able to command+click on the respective gain parameter and have the option to convert or convert and copy said automation; my problem is that these parameter values change their number upon conversion. I need the new gain values to be the same as the original volume values I'm trying to copy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this problem crippling my ability to work at this moment.

Hi,

my problem is that these parameter values change their number upon conversion. I need the new gain values to be the same as the original volume values I'm trying to copy.

The conversion is not intelligent, it doesn't know that you're dealing with two completely different db ranges (-infinity, +6 versus -96, +24) so you won't get the results you expect.

J.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Notes to future self: Don't touch the fader's volume automation. Use Gain plugin from the start.

Why? I use volume automation all the time.

So that you can adjust the fader freely without having the automation blocking you from doing so.

Adding the volume automation to the Gain plugin instead gives you this option.

So that you can adjust the fader freely without having the automation blocking you from doing so.

Adding the volume automation to the Gain plugin instead gives you this option.

I see, that's your personal workflow preference then.

I work the other way around: I automate the volume fader for volume automation, which I can trim using the trim field on the track header, or adjust using relative or trim automation faders. And if I want completely free gain adjustment on a track that has volume automation, I use the Gain plug-in!