Synth as both synth / MIDI controller

grandphrase

Hey, I'm currently considering purchasing my first synth (Yamaha Montage synthesizer) to use in Logic. I'm aware that you can use synths as both MIDI controllers as well as synths - the question is, will you be able to bounce back & forth without constantly diving into settings ?

Ex. - Can you have 2 different tracks in Logic where if I have the 1st selected, the keyboard will play sounds out of Kontakt & if I then select the 2nd track the keyboard will play sounds out of my synth ? I would be constantly switching back & forth without having to have any patches/settings reset.

1. 1 with Kontakt as the plugin

2. Another track to use with the synth

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: You will have to use the synth in "Local Off" mode. This separates the synth's controller functions (keyboard, wheels etc) from the sound generation functions. Use the synth as a controller when playing soft synths. Then also when playing the synth its self i.e. the midi information will flow from the synth's midi out, into Logic where it can be processed, recorded etc, back out of Logic to the synth's midi in to trigger the sound.

It will require some initial setting up but it is workable.

Alan.

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: You will have to use the synth in "Local Off" mode. This separates the synth's controller functions (keyboard, wheels etc) from the sound generation functions. Use the synth as a controller when playing soft synths. Then also when playing the synth its self i.e. the midi information will flow from the synth's midi out, into Logic where it can be processed, recorded etc, back out of Logic to the synth's midi in to trigger the sound.

It will require some initial setting up but it is workable.

Alan.

Gotcha, nice to know this is possible. Will test this out after getting my synth in. Thanks for the informative response !

Chris