MIDI tracks changing key and indefinite sustain - help please!!

Kmar

Hi all

I really hope someone can help me who has experienced (& solved!) this.

I'm using 10.2.4. I don't know why but some - not all - of my tracks have started playing in a different key, and I cannot stop it.

Have checked song key, sample rate...all look normal.

Concurrently one of The out-of-tune tracks is also sustaining indefinitely, and doesn't respond to stopping the track manually (i have to shut the whole thing down to stop it playing).

I'm totally stuck. It was all fine yesterday. Have rebooted PRAM...any other ideas? Not a Logic expert and have no clue how to fix this. Anyone help?? Thank you!!

Hey there, it sounds like you may have written some automation data that is causing the pitch to change and also automation data written for the sustain pedal which can be deleted in certain areas where you don't want the sustain. I had a similar issue. Check out my post on this here https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132076&p=673920#p673920

Regarding transposition, consider the following movie -- but be advised that this is from 10.3.2, and the updating of transpositions in Piano Roll has been changed recently. You mention that you are still on 10.2.4.

In Main, in Region Parameters, note that when I raise the transposition, it is reflected in Piano Roll but not in Event List. So as a diagnostic, you might check that setting and Piano Roll.  The user can also change transposition in Track Parameters (but note in the movie that Track transposition is *not* seen in Piano Roll -- you can only tell it's set by the parameter). Event List does not reflect either change. Perhaps you inadvertently changed one of these, hence the playback shift. 

If neither setting has been changed, you could also check the instruments assigned to that track. One can adjust most software instruments up or down in pitch... though it's unlikely that you did this accidentally to multiple instruments. 

And yes, errant and unresolved pitch bends can alter playback, but that usually does not happen from the very start of the song and last all the way through. Starting and stopping usually resets region based pitch bend, given the right settings in Preferences > MIDI > Reset Messages. If it's accidental track automation, it's rare that it starts at 1 1 1 1 and stays the same all the way through. 

The sustaining notes absolutely sound like a sustain pedal "on" lonesome for its "off." 

It all else fails, you can zip the file and post it, and someone could see how plays back on their rig. 

1641093978_EffectsofRegionandTrackTransposition.thumb.gif.d6fed51d55b021dade50f610facb4f90.gif