Experiencing issues with MIDI sync

aaronroden1997

For a while I've been trying to get my hardware setup to communicate with Logic Pro X & Ableton but i cannot synchronise my hardware to remain in time with Logic's metronome- sending my hardware out of sync with any loops contained in my projects.

I am routing from the MIDI in on my Korg Volca Beats, to the MIDI out of my Roland MC-303 (NOTE- its MIDI clock can be slaved or used as a remote for other devices). The MC-303 is then sending info from its MIDI in- to the MIDI out of my Scarlett 2i4 Interface. (I also wish to use an M-Audio controller for use and modulation of software instruments in Logic- not sure whether to include this in the chain?)

I have read numerous articles and watched several tutorials on MIDI synchronisation in both Logic and Ableton, yet whenever I attempt to apply the correct project settings in Logic, I get a strange malfunction from the 303 where a stuck note continues to repeat. However, when i use my hardware with Ableton (Live Lite 8 Edition), my hardware works perfectly in sync without fail.

Please could anybody possibly suggest a solution that wouldn't involve buying a MIDI interface?? Any guidance is hugely appreciated- I've been pretty largely inexperienced with hardware prior to my current endeavours!! Thanks for your time.

I am routing from the MIDI in on my Korg Volca Beats, to the MIDI out of my Roland MC-303 (NOTE- its MIDI clock can be slaved or used as a remote for other devices). The MC-303 is then sending info from its MIDI in- to the MIDI out of my Scarlett 2i4 Interface. 

You seem to have this backwards - for MIDI signals to go from the Korg to the 303 you have to have the Korg's MIDI OUT connected to the Roland's MIDI IN. As you have described your setup the Scarlett is sending MIDI info to the Roland and the Roland (but not the Scarlett) is sending MIDI info to the Korg (unless the Roland has a MIDI THRU/merge mode to combine its MIDI OUT with what it is receiving).  

Can you supply your complete system's setup details eg OS version, Logic version, Computer (RAM etc) all devices connected to it and how they are connected eg where the audio outs from the Roland and the Korg go